this is weird to me..

Options
MellowGa
MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
I can go play soccer for 2-3 hours every sunday...such a fantastic way to burn calories...

But when I do my ellipictal for only 20 min.....my feet go numb, or if I go for a 3 mile jog, around mile 2 my feet go numb.

So anyone got any clue to why a slow steady pace of running...such as jogging or elliptical...my feet go numb.....But running playing soccer almost doing HIIT for 2-3 hours.,...no issues at all.

any running guru's or PT's out there have any suggestions?

BTW I prefer sprinting, HIIT to long distance anyday!

Replies

• cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    The same thing happens to me sometimes! I'm curous to know as well
  • BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but maybe because when you're playing soccer, your feet are out in front of you at time when you kick the ball and you are moving more. When you are running or doing elliptical, you are pretty stationary and straight up and down so blood is rushing to your feet. I may be wrong, but thought I'd try and help :). Have a great day!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters and I both have the same problem. I always just assumed it was circulatory problems which tend to run in our family. But I don't get it when hiking or Zumba.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Happens to us all, only when I am on the eliptical however
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Jogging and sprinting are different, biomechanically speaking. Try to increase your cadence, even while keeping your pace slow.

You may also want to consider getting some running shoes that are more similar to your cleats, perhaps a lightweight racing flat.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why but it happens to me for the first few weeks after I restart a running program after a long layoff. My whole foot goes to sleep. It stops happening after I begin to get back into running shape.

FWIW: HIIT is good but does not provide the same cardiovascular benefits as longer slower running. Both are needed since each prompts a different adaptation in the body.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Mine were going numb till I loosened my shoe laces.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Might be worth checking your shoes. I had a pair that felt comfy but always made my feet numb running or on the elliptical. Changed shoes, problem gone!
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    Maybe it's because the soccer is enjoyable. You have fun while exercising. The jogging and elliptical may be boring. You're not caught up in adrenaline like you are with soccer, so that time goes slower and your body is reacting without you wanting it to. Basically, you're not conscious of every step you take during soccer, but you're conscious of every step/stride while jogging or on the elliptical.
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My feet used to go numb on the elliptical all the time, and like a couple if the other posters, once I loosened my shoe laces it stopped happening. Do you wear different shoes to play soccer?
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I had this problem when running years ago. About 7 miles into a half-marathon my feet were so numb and hurting that I was sure there was something in my shoe and would have to stop and check. Nothing there! I went to a local running store and they said something about my feet swelling and to go up 1/2 to 1 full size. I went from a size 9 to 10 and didn't have the problem again. I think the toe box being bigger helps too, but I am not expert enough to know how to measure for this. Try the bigger shoes.
  • veggievixen
    veggievixen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a look at your shoes. A good portion of the population, about half including myself, has Morton's foot structure, where the second metatarsal is longer than the first. It decreases the stable base width of your sole and increases pronation, since more weight is being distributed from second toe to pinky instead of from big toe to pinky. Oftentimes wear is more pronounced in the center of the forefoot of you shoes. The forefoot cushioning in your running shoe could be blocking blood flow and causing numbness, so switching shoes, sizes, or loosening laces all could help. Soccer has a lot of stop and go running so there is not the continuous pressure from straight running or the elliptical, where your feet are in constant contact with the treads, which probably accounts for the difference in sensation. If you do switch shoes, my advice would be to head to a running store that will listen to your needs and fit you properly. Don't be afraid to go to a couple different stores, there is no holy grail in running. There is only what works for your unique combination of needs. Many stores have a treadmill and will watch your gait to make recommendations. The wrong shoe over time and depending on the individual can contribute to overuse injuries and poor body mechanics.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Definitely take a look at your shoes. A good portion of the population, about half including myself, has Morton's foot structure, where the second metatarsal is longer than the first. It decreases the stable base width of your sole and increases pronation, since more weight is being distributed from second toe to pinky instead of from big toe to pinky. Oftentimes wear is more pronounced in the center of the forefoot of you shoes. The forefoot cushioning in your running shoe could be blocking blood flow and causing numbness, so switching shoes, sizes, or loosening laces all could help. Soccer has a lot of stop and go running so there is not the continuous pressure from straight running or the elliptical, where your feet are in constant contact with the treads, which probably accounts for the difference in sensation. If you do switch shoes, my advice would be to head to a running store that will listen to your needs and fit you properly. Don't be afraid to go to a couple different stores, there is no holy grail in running. There is only what works for your unique combination of needs. Many stores have a treadmill and will watch your gait to make recommendations. The wrong shoe over time and depending on the individual can contribute to overuse injuries and poor body mechanics.
    Wow thank you, I have this problem - and my second toe is longer than my first, always wondered why it happened and you've explained it so well! Off to get some better trainers... thanks again!
  • MellowGa
    Options
    ok did the elliptical for 40 min yesterday, feet went numb, I took off my boots and tossed them aside and did it in my socks, I still had slight issues, but not the whole foot.

it seems I like to be on my toes when I run, which I do for sprinting, but i subconciously will not use my whole foot and put added pressure on my toes and the top pad off my foot,

so I will play around and try to refocus on keeping my feet planted.

thanks for the advice everyone, but knocking out 40 min over 3 miles felt real good yesterday
  • beccaboo1021
    Options
    Sometimes it might happen because the shoes are too tight, but for me, I think it happens becuase of how I 'push' with the same part of my foot. If I mix it up every 3-5 minutes and vary the 'push' with my toes, the ball of my foot, my heels, and the whole surface of the bottom of my feet, they don't go numb on me.
  • MellowGa
    Options
    yea rebecca, I think the pushing part is the issue, I am a ball of the foot and toe runner. I need to mix up my stance.

thanks
  • veggievixen
    veggievixen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @suzitkd Just to clarify, it's not the toe itself that's longer and causing compression, but the bone in the foot. Not sure if that was clear above.
  • MellowGa
    Options
    VV,

you certainly helped me, I did the elliptical for 20 min last night, but altered my stance and amde sure to rotate my foot so the pressure points changed....def helped.

I guess I was just to stiff with my foot and "locking" it into a certain position instead of being loose and flowing.

good stuff, thanks everyone who added to this thread, I appreciate it.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem until i started picking my feet up and putting them down instead of leaving them stationary on the pedals of the elliptical. as for when you are running, try new running shoes or loosening your laces. this is a great informative article:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Keep-Toes-From-Going-Numb-Elliptical-Trainer-2912163
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It also helps to not only change whether you use your toes or entire foot but also whether you go only forward or alternate pushing forward or backward. Alternating works your legs differently and requires different footing. Worth a try!