Life after hysterectomy

Options
hi all! I had a TAH last year. I was at my lowest weight that I can remember just 2 years ago. Since then I have continued to gain. I was diagnosed with stage zero cervical cancer along with a huge fibroid that was causing me to be severely anemic.

Since my hysterectomy last year at this time I have gained 20 lbs and now am approaching the 190# mark. I also don't have a thyroid and am on synthroid.

I feel as if my time has sped up. I need to slow it down, lose the weight, be healthier and happier in my skin.

Any friends and support is welcome!!

Heather

Replies

• ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had my hysterectomy back in 2011. I had a bladder sling done at the same time. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I also feel like time has sped up since my surgery. I have been in a constant struggle to lose weight and it is very slowly coming off. Did you retain your ovaries?
  • michellelhodges123
    michellelhodges123 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I had partial hysterectomy in 2008...did retain ovaries..but only due to fact I had undergone cardiac ablation 4 months prior and it wasn't working as well as had hoped...no one wanted to try me on HRT! didn't gain much after until meds added when new arrhythmia hit...struggling to take it off..is a slow process for me as the heart meds slow everything, including metabolism, down! But..I do keep going..feel free to add me..the support you find here is amazing! I find it truly helps!
  • Motivated_Liz
    Motivated_Liz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like. I had a full abdominal in March. Maybe we can motivate each other.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Since my hysterectomy last year at this time I have gained 20 lbs and now am approaching the 190# mark. I also don't have a thyroid and am on synthroid.

I feel as if my time has sped up. I need to slow it down, lose the weight, be healthier and happier in my skin.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and take Synthroid + Cytomel. I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

PS. MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • fat2fit1981
    fat2fit1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy November of 2013. I was finally down to 168 and then it shot back up to 190ish too. I struggle because I love food greasy and beer. its frustrating. I am all about needing movitation from others and I give it too!!! good luck!
  • scary_mary73
    scary_mary73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) in January this year and have gained quite a bit of weight with eating badly and being inactive.

I have been using MFP since April to try and get the weight off. It is coming off slowly but I still struggle with swelling and exhaustion which is making exercise difficult.

Feel free to add me :)
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Radical hysterectomy (laparoscopic) nearly two years due to uterine cancer. Also had (still have, WTF?) PCOS. Actually haven't had many difficulties from the hysterectomy (yay!), but the PCOS doesn't like carbs... once I lowered those I found that many other symptoms got better. Not sure this helps, but at least you know you're not alone around here <3
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    hi, I'm 1.5 wks out from my S. H. abdominal bikini cut incision. I'm an advanced CPT, feel free to fr me, but be sure to introduce yourself with a message or I will delete the request.

Also, eliminate all breads, cakes, pastas, potatoes, cereals and starches from your diet. The water weight gain from eating such foods is bad. You can easily drop 5 lbs or more in a week if you do this. All starches. Eat colorful veggies instead. Stay away from bananas too. That's a starch. The only starch you may eat would be 1/2 a sweet potato or a small yucca with your dinner. And only dinner.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eliminate all breads, cakes, pastas, potatoes, cereals and starches from your diet. The water weight gain from eating such foods is bad. You can easily drop 5 lbs or more in a week if you do this. All starches. Eat colorful veggies instead. Stay away from bananas too. That's a starch. The only starch you may eat would be 1/2 a sweet potato or a small yucca with your dinner. And only dinner.

A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight.

And you lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period.