How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I just started not too long ago and I've been weighing myself every day and logging it. Is this how everyone else does it? I'm just curious on to how often other people weigh in and why!

Replies

• wendy16256
    wendy16256 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, I weigh myself every morning. I'm not obsessive about it but it does keep me on track.
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Likewise ~ weigh every day and record it. I'm a bit of a geek, and chart also. My weight fluctuates from day to day, but over a week, I do expect to see it trend down. Best of luck.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Same time every day 5:00 in
    The morning

Write down weight, body fat percentage, muscle weight, water percentage

The body comp numbers vary a bit so I look at the weekly average

It is easy to get all wrapped up in scale variance or salt induced water gains, even being sore makes me hold a little water
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I record my weight once a week, but I usually weight every day. I think I might start recording it every day.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Once a month, if that. If I weighed myself every day I would get anxiety over little, normal and expected fluctuations. With weighing-in once a month I can see how much I actually lost and get excited over progress without stressing too much
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday mornings.
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Everyday to make sure I only gain a pound a week like doc recommends for pregnancy
  • alejandro_08
    alejandro_08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to do it everyday 0500 in my PT uniform. Now I only do it every time I have a bod pod appointment.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    In a deficit once a week or biweekly. In maintenance about every day.
  • sportjunky578
    sportjunky578 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale and don't want one cause i feel it would mess with my head to much. i just take day by day
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Once a week
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week.. monday mornings.. (gee what a way to start a monday)
  • DaniStrange
    DaniStrange Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh in everyday if I were you, unless you want to be discouraged. Your weight fluctuates so much between water weight (and food babies ;) ) I would suggest weighing in once a week or once every other week. For me personally I do it on days that I feel extra skinny, that way I usually am always seeing my number dropping.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I weigh once per 1-2 weeks. Typically on Fridays.
  • buffer221
    buffer221 Posts: 4,751 Member
    Options
    once a week
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I do daily or whenever I like as that suits my personality. I'm completely comfortable with the scale and readings and it tends to go down. there is no right naswer other than do what suits you and your personality. Dont forget its only data and part of interpreting it is to not take a single days data too seriously, look for a trend and understand that your body naturally fluctuates 1-4lbs a day. Dont become its slave, but really its just a handy tool.

Do use other methods such as the tape measure, how your clothes fit, performance measures at the gym etc.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself nearly every day. I record each reading into a weight tracker app that gives me a fancy graph with stats and stuff. I only record my weight into MFP if it's a new low OR I've gained more than 5 pounds and it has stuck for more than a month.
  • kierasayshi
    kierasayshi Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    once every two weeks, in the morning.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Sunday morning.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh in everyday if I were you, unless you want to be discouraged. Your weight fluctuates so much between water weight (and food babies ;) )
    I weigh every day, just because of those fluctuations. That lets me know that I'm still on track, even if I should hit a "high" on, let's say, a Friday.

I would suggest weighing in once a week or once every other week.
    Once a week is usually recommended. Maybe it had its merits in the old days when we used analog scales, which will give an approximate but reliable feedback on the progress. Increments of 0.1 of a pound/kilo in digital scales is actually too exact to measure a living organism like a human being, but if so, weigh every day, with the same scale, at the same time, same place, with same clothes, after bathroom, before breakfast, and understand and accept the fluctuations.