How many calories should I eat to lose weight?

Options
hello,

I am beginning my weight loss journey and I don't have very much knowledge about nutrition. I am 5'6 ft and weigh 230lbs. I workout at the gym and burn about 500 to 700 calories per day. I want to lose 2lbs per week. How many calories should I consume?

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Enter your info into mfp and pick your goal. It will tell you what your cal needs are.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Enter your info into mfp and pick your goal. It will tell you what your cal needs are.

I second this emotion
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Yep. Eat the number it says plus 250-350 of those exercise calories back, making sure you log accurately.
  • artsbysimon
    artsbysimon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    2 lbs per week is kind too steep in my opinion. Basically the equation to speed weight loss is burn more calories than you consume. But kind of calories also dictates of how fast you lose weight if you take take food that has more fat and sugar then your will only shed pounds slowly
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    2 lbs per week is kind too steep in my opinion. Basically the equation to speed weight loss is burn more calories than you consume. But kind of calories also dictates of how fast you lose weight if you take take food that has more fat and sugar then your will only shed pounds slowly

You need to stop saying this nonsense. Seriously.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

For someone with 75+ pounds to lose, 2 pounds per week is a safe goal (then she can drop it as she gets closer).
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    But kind of calories also dictates of how fast you lose weight if you take take food that has more fat and sugar then your will only shed pounds slowly

Ya, this is completely false. O.P. ignore this.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

sheeshhh are all your post this nonsense???

OP enter your info into MFP like already said here.
    Chose your goals ( how much you want to lose.

Start weighing all your food on a food scale ( dont use serving sizes or cups and spoons that is highly inaccurate)
    Try to eat around your daily calorie allowance.
    When you exercise eat between 25% to 75% back of those "earned" calories on top of what MFP gave you.
    Be consistent, be patient
    And if you indeed weigh EVERY solid food and created a deficit ( eating less than you burn)
    You will lose weight..... And it doesn't matter what you eat. (when you dont have any medical issues with certain kind of foods)

Its all about eating less calories than you burn. And MFP helps you with that.

• nicoleexo2015
    nicoleexo2015 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I just noticed when I changed my activity level the amount of calories increased. I wasn't sure if that correct if I ate more calories.
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options

Start weighing all your food on a food scale ( dont use serving sizes or cups and spoons that is highly inaccurate)
    When you exercise eat between 25% to 75% back of those "earned" calories on top of what MFP gave you.
    And if you indeed weigh EVERY solid food and created a deficit ( eating less than you burn)
    You will lose weight..... And it doesn't matter what you eat. (when you dont have any medical issues with certain kind of foods)

Where can I buy a affordable food scale? Thanks
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

target, amazon, walmart, they're not very expensive.
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options

target, amazon, walmart, they're not very expensive.

Thanks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Do get a digital scale rather than a spring scale - I've had both and digital is way, way better.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

That's why I lost over a 150 pounds in under a year & a half by eating a ton of ice cream & other desserts?