calorie counter

OK, I was told that in order to lose weight I have to subtract 15-25% off of my BMR. Which gives me about 1600 calories daily. However, after entering my info into MFP it says I should be at 1200 calories daily. I'm so confused! I also know that eating minimally will make you gain weight. Which is closer to correct?? HELP

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I think the MFP default is set to a goal weight loss of 2 lbs per week.

It's recommended to change that to a less aggressive weekly goal, which will up your calorie limit.

Hope this helps.
  • dawnjohnw
    dawnjohnw Posts: 18 Member
    OK I understand that now but if I follow the 1200 calorie deficit isn't that going to make me gain. Because I'd be storing fat, basically starving my body. ?
  • Orphia
    You shouldn't be at a 1200 calorie limit if you decrease your weekly goal to say, 1 lb a week.

MFP will still give you a daily calorie limit that is less than your total daily energy expended.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    dawnjohnw wrote: »
    OK, I was told that in order to lose weight I have to subtract 15-25% off of my BMR. Which gives me about 1600 calories daily. However, after entering my info into MFP it says I should be at 1200 calories daily. I'm so confused! I also know that eating minimally will make you gain weight. Which is closer to correct?? HELP

Who told you that rot?

You subtract from your TDEE

What did you put into MFP as your activity level? Sedentary right? Are you?

What did you put in as your goal loss? 2lbs right? Why?

20% off your TDEE would give you 1600 at an average woman's TDEE of 2000

That would mean cutting by 400 calories a day resulting in a weight loss of just under 1lb a week

You can't compare apples and elephants you know ;)
  • dawnjohnw
    Sorry I'm dumb, what's daily energy expended? Exercise?? This is confusing
  • Orphia
    edited June 2015
    "TDEE is the amount calories your body burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food! Total Daily Energy Expenditure."
  • Sued0nim
    Sorry I'm dumb, what's daily energy expended? Exercise?? This is confusing

You're not dumb ..you're where we all were before starting on this and asking the right questions so you can get it right

OK ...deep breath

BMR = the amount of calories you're body burns to just keep going, so imagine you were lying in a hospital bed in a coma! you would still need your BMR level of calories to fuel your basic body needs

BMR + your activity level = NEAT and is what MFP gives you as your calories. Activity level is the stuff you do that is not purposeful exercise you know like getting up, getting dressed, brushing your teeth, going to walk, heading to the shops...your general activity level

If you take your NEAT level of calories and decide you're going to do some purposeful exercise eg go for a jog! hit the gym! go swimming you're doing more than you normally would and burning more calories and so you get to eat them back and still lose weight

Warning MFP and machines overestimate calorie burns ..so best to cut them in half

And starvation mode ...it doesn't exist
  • dawnjohnw
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Who told you that rot?

You subtract from your TDEE

What did you put into MFP as your activity level? Sedentary right? Are you?

What did you put in as your goal loss? 2lbs right? Why?

20% off your TDEE would give you 1600 at an average woman's TDEE of 2000

That would mean cutting by 400 calories a day resulting in a weight loss of just under 1lb a week

You can't compare apples and elephants you know ;)

Well as for activity level I had it at active but changed it after 6 days. It's now lightly active
    As for weight loss daily ..yes 2 lbs weekly
    Over ambitious maybe. I brisk walk for 50 mins daily also
  • Sued0nim
    If you have set your activity level at lightly active and you brisk walk for 50 minutes you cannot include the walking as exercise because that would be double counting as you've already included it in your activity level

If you don't walk your 50 minutes would you be sedentary..do you have a desk job?
  • Sued0nim
    2lbs a week? How much have you got to lose?
  • dawnjohnw

I'd like to lose 30
  • dawnjohnw

I'd like to lose 30

I am 5'7" 192.......when I started I was 190. I'm 38 yrs old
  • dawnjohnw
    If you have set your activity level at lightly active and you brisk walk for 50 minutes you cannot include the walking as exercise because that would be double counting as you've already included it in your activity level

If you don't walk your 50 minutes would you be sedentary..do you have a desk job?

No I work in a steel mill.. Mon -Fri. I walk at work for at least 4 hrs. Not including the physical part of working
  • Rimfakse
    Rimfakse Posts: 25 Member
    OK I understand that now but if I follow the 1200 calorie deficit isn't that going to make me gain. Because I'd be storing fat, basically starving my body. ?

Starvation mode is a myth.
  • dawnjohnw
    Rimfakse wrote: »

Didn't feel like a myth lol
  • dawnjohnw

I was huuuuungry
  • Orphia

I was huuuuungry

Were you logging your calories correctly at the time?
  • dawnjohnw
    Orphia wrote: »

I was huuuuungry

Yes I was...I think
  • dawnjohnw

I was huuuuungry

Yes I was...I think

What exactly do u mean by correctly?
  • dawnjohnw

I was huuuuungry

Yes I was...I think

What exactly do u mean by correctly?

I added everything I ate including water
  • Orphia
    Were you losing weight?
  • dawnjohnw
    Were you losing weight?
    Were you losing weight?
    No after 7 days I think it was I gained 2 lbs
  • dawnjohnw
    Were you losing weight?
    Were you losing weight?
    That's what I mean by being confused...my exercise and work alone should have me losing. I literally sweat for 5 hours a day. It's 115° in the mill
  • Wolf___
    Wolf___ Posts: 99 Member
    Were you losing weight?
    Were you losing weight?
    That's what I mean by being confused...my exercise and work alone should have me losing. I literally sweat for 5 hours a day. It's 115° in the mill

sweat isn't the same thing as effort. Unless you're moving a lot at a decent clip and/or carrying lots of heavy things, you're not expending energy which is how you'd create a calorie deficit.

• dawnjohnw
    Wolf___ wrote: »
    Were you losing weight?
    Were you losing weight?

sweat isn't the same thing as effort. Unless you're moving a lot at a decent clip and/or carrying lots of heavy things, you're not expending energy which is how you'd create a calorie deficit.
    It's physical labor, I don't just stand around. I'm moving constantly. Im a janitor, most of my day is spent mopping.