Replies

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello! First of all, well done to you. I have a question and I apologise if you've answered it before (no it's not about excess skin, haha).

When I joined MFP with a goal for weight loss, I took your advice and immediately took up weights. I'm doing a beginner weights program with a personal trainer 3 times a week and am doing the couch to 5K on the 3 off days, then resting for 1 day.

It's been 5 weeks now and I have lost 3kg so far. I weigh 93 kg and am a 176cm tall, 31 year old female.

When I first joined MFP, I told it I wanted to lose at a rate of 0.5 kg a week and it calculated my calorie intake at 1600 calories per week. It did however calculate it on the basis that I was "sedentary".

I am NOT eating back my calories. However, my trainer now wants to INCREASE my calorie intake (she thinks 1600 is too low).

In your view- is 1600 too low for what I'm doing and my situation? Should I recalculate MFP's estimation of how much I should be eating based on the fact that I am now no longer "sedentary" but am now "active" because I'm now doing some form of exercise 6 days a week?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Kind regards- Brittany
  • tampico65
    tampico65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your inspire me to give up my excuses and get to the gym to work out. :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Damn you are an inspiration man
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    nice brah props
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hello! First of all, well done to you. I have a question and I apologise if you've answered it before (no it's not about excess skin, haha).

When I joined MFP with a goal for weight loss, I took your advice and immediately took up weights. I'm doing a beginner weights program with a personal trainer 3 times a week and am doing the couch to 5K on the 3 off days, then resting for 1 day.

It's been 5 weeks now and I have lost 3kg so far. I weigh 93 kg and am a 176cm tall, 31 year old female.

When I first joined MFP, I told it I wanted to lose at a rate of 0.5 kg a week and it calculated my calorie intake at 1600 calories per week. It did however calculate it on the basis that I was "sedentary".

I am NOT eating back my calories. However, my trainer now wants to INCREASE my calorie intake (she thinks 1600 is too low).

In your view- is 1600 too low for what I'm doing and my situation? Should I recalculate MFP's estimation of how much I should be eating based on the fact that I am now no longer "sedentary" but am now "active" because I'm now doing some form of exercise 6 days a week?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Kind regards- Brittany
    1600 is on the low end for your weight and height. I would not say it's dangerously low, but you probably could still make progress eating a little bit more. You can always increase a bit and if weight loss stops, reduce back down.

• BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    1600 is on the low end for your weight and height. I would not say it's dangerously low, but you probably could still make progress eating a little bit more. You can always increase a bit and if weight loss stops, reduce back down.

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try.

It seems so weird that two people in the fitness industry are telling me to eat more rather than less to achieve my weight loss goals.

Still, I intend for this to be a long term thing so I'm going to listen to the experts and take your advice! :)

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Bump (to keep this thread up since its no longer in the stickies )
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating low fat diet?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating low fat diet?
    I'm not.

• rshoop
    rshoop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump for future reference
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jrenaud3
    jrenaud3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome! How tall are you? I am 6'2" and 255lbs. I would love to get below 200, as that is what every height/weight charts tells me. I haven't been that since high school. I've been working out on and off for a few years but the lowest I can get myself is 230lbs. For the first time I am trying to watch my food intake. Any advice would be great! Thanks.
  • sfrederiksen
    sfrederiksen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mooo92
    mooo92 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey, can I get thoughts on keto? Great progress pics btw, thats really motivating.

Also regarding weights and cardio, for the majority of your weight loss did you do them individually?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Will rubbing your six pack for luck help others get one?
  • saltypancakez
    saltypancakez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations to you! You transformed yourself and look great! You are an inspiration to all!

I apologize in advance if you have been asked this before in this thread, but have you had any plateaus in your journey and what did you do when you reached them? You worked out harder? Just were patient? Or kick started it again by eating high-calorie food for a couple of days? Something else I don't know of?

PS: I am SO hoping you will say 'I ate a chocolate cake!' :D
  • Jessica92xx
    Jessica92xx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since there are at least 52 pages I haven't read them all, I'm sorry. However, my question:
    I'd love to be more fit. I lost about 8 kilo's (don't know what that is in stones/pounds/etc.) and still want to shed a few. However, I also want to become more fit and muscular. Staying feminine of course, but being just skinny isn't what I'm longing for. I want to look athletic. And I do want to work for it, but I have had pretty bad lower back pain & instability issues so I don't have the guts to just start not knowing what I'm doing. Do you have any tips? Right now I'm doing Body Balance from Les Mills and a bit of exercising to strengthen my back at the gym, but that's just a bit of body maintainance in my opinion. How could I start with the weight lifting without damaging my body? I am pretty much recovered now, but there's been a time I could barely ride a bike or travel by bus (let alone play sports or party) without a lot of pain and I don't ever want to go back there. Hence the worries about how to start.

Sorry for the long question, but English is not my native language and I found it quite hard to describe what I meant in a few words.

Furthermore I absolutely respect your progress, lifestyle and perseverance. It's lovely how you've turned your life around. And answering all these questions, you're an angel. Very motivating to know that we're not all alone in our battle.

Good luck and (hopefully) thanks in advance.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kthom001
    kthom001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, awesome job. Just wondering what your take is on using weight machines as opposed to free weights? I really like the circuit training area at the gym with all the machines, but I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I just started and have about 100lbs to lose. I want to lose the weight and be ripped too. What do I do?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!