Less calories does NOT equal more weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's just not ready to take weight loss seriously, I think a lot of people go through stages of unrealistic yo yo dieting until something clicks and you start to think about food / health differently. For me joining MFP and reading and learning is what really changed my mind set.

Why don't you suggest if she is serious that she sign up here and find what works for her in a healthy way. If she is determined to carry on with her crazy diet I guess all you can do is be there to pick her up when she falls on her face.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well it does equal more weight loss. Unfortunately it's going to mean some weight loss she doesn't want (lean tissue). Also calories that low won't provide them with the ESSENTIALS they need to have a healthier living.
    But you can't force anyone to think right. You can encourage and inspire and the rest is up to them.
    Sometimes people have to do things the wrong way to learn the right way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This but unfortunately it is so difficult to convince someone to change their thinking. The body can only metabolise so much fatty tissue and large deficits lead to a higher loss of lbm and the result they achieve is unfortunately not what they were looking for.

Suggest they research VLCD's further, especially the potential side affects and be there for support when they need it

Even though it does, I actually did manage to convince a friend that a more muscle sparing diet (higher in calories slower in loss) would have her looking better than losing fast, since she is losing weight to look good in a bikini, and skinny fat is not exactly what people have in mind when they have such a goal. People like this tend to respond well to body fat vs weight comparison photos like this one:

jenn-comparison-pics-714x1024.jpg