None of you log sweet potatoes?

Options
W_Stewart
W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
The food database is slam full of crazy custom entries for sweet potatoes, all of them user contributed. How come no entries with a handful of people agreeing to the nutritional values? I spent 10 minutes trying to log the sweet potato I just steamed and ate. Man I hate that food database.

Which entry would you use? Am I missing out on how to search for these?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    look up usda, raw (with or without skin)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Search usda sweet potato
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The USDA one.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I choose the entries without an * whenever possible, otherwise I go with the entry with the most confirmations.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I dislike plain sweet potatoes so only have them in recipes. There is an entry for "sweet potato, raw, unprepared" which Is what I would probably choose if I was having one plain.
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    OK. Now what? 0 confirmations, all user contributed.

WmxnKvp.png
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I would probably just scan it
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I weigh them on my food scale in grams, before cooking. Then I find the calories using Nutrition Data (I don't track food here on MFP).
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    There should be one with a green shield next to it that means it's verified
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't care for sweet potatoes, but I do like Yams. I use this one. Its correct. (I verified.): Generic - Yams by Ounce, Baked Boiled or Steamed, oz
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Scanning only takes you to member entries these days so there is no guarantee of accuracy unfortunately and the USDA entries seem to be member entries as well. Use the entry with no * because that is an MFP site entry and should be more accurate, otherwise look for the ones with the most confirmations
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    wahoowad wrote: »
    OK. Now what? 0 confirmations, all user contributed.

WmxnKvp.png

AAhk3TW.png
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Look for the one that has information matching this if you want to log it based on the uncooked value:
    eua1atj23fhg.jpg
    (screenshot is from the USDA database)
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3242?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=35&offset=&sort=&qlookup=sweet+potato

I don't see anything in the USDA for a steamed sweet potato. They have steamed sweet potato leaves. I typically log my foods based on raw weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lseed87 wrote: »

Your vegies come with barcodes? o_0
  • swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    lseed87 wrote: »

Your vegies come with barcodes? o_0

How convenient would that be though?!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    Scanning only takes you to member entries these days so there is no guarantee of accuracy unfortunately and the USDA entries seem to be member entries as well. Use the entry with no * because that is an MFP site entry and should be more accurate, otherwise look for the ones with the most confirmations

While that's true, it's getting harder and harder to find entries with no *.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If it's something you eat often just go to the usda website for the nutrition info and create your own entry.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same foods and have found crazy variances in the database. I just look up the nutritional information and create my own foods without adding them to the mess that is the database. That way I don't have to search every time I want to log a food, and I know it's right, or as close to right as it's going to get.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For this very reason I stopped logging on MFP, it takes way too long to find the correct item and the measurement units are ridiculous!!! How do you quantify ''cup'' or ''serving''? I found an external website that provides nutritional values measured either by grams or mililiters (not cups, teaspoons etc) and use it instead MFT. Very often all I use as guidance is packaging information to determine calorific value.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For this very reason I stopped logging on MFP, it takes way too long to find the correct item and the measurement units are ridiculous!!! How do you quantify ''cup'' or ''serving''? I found an external website that provides nutritional values measured either by grams or mililiters (not cups, teaspoons etc) and use it instead MFT. Very often all I use as guidance is packaging information to determine calorific value.

what do you use?