Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Appetite Suppressants

Does anyboy know any good appetite suppressants that I can get over the counter? I try to eat right and eat lean protein and fiber and all that but still want to eat large quantities of food! I can't stand being hungry and I can't stand wanting to eat so much!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I've found that none of them ever work for me and I also love to eat large amounts of food. I have made it my mission to create meals of large quantity, but low calorie, 400 or less. I love it when I have a huge bowl of food to eat for lunch and everyone else is eating their teeny lean cuisines :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Eat loads of fruit and veggies. If you feel hungry try a glass of water also. SOmetimes you feel hungry and your body is actually craving water!

Are you eating enough calories??

I know when I eat my fruits and vegies I can;t eat enough
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Eat more veggies. They'll fill you up and hold you over.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Lots of water!
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    I started using a product called RoxyLean last month. It has curbed my hunger and sugar cravings remarkably. No jitters so far. I only take one pill in the morning with breakfast and a lot of water.
    If you are still hungry, try to eat more vegetables - they have low calories but lots of fiber to keep you feeling full. Apples work well, too.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Would like to see the responses on that. I have the same problem.
  • taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    i was used to only drinking one bottle of water during my 8 hr day at work.
    now, i eat breakfast at 9 when i get here with a full 16.9 oz bottle of water
    usually eat a yogurt and a banana, then i drink another full bottle of water
    between 11-12 and eat lunch at 12:30
    after lunch around 2, i drink another bottle of water, and right around 4:30 i drink another.
    its seems to have really curbed my appetite!
  • MommyLumpkin
    MommyLumpkin Posts: 129
    I've found that none of them ever work for me and I also love to eat large amounts of food. I have made it my mission to create meals of large quantity, but low calorie, 400 or less. I love it when I have a huge bowl of food to eat for lunch and everyone else is eating their teeny lean cuisines :)

Great advce! Portion control isn't about eating less, it's about finding ways to eat more for less calories. Appetite suppressants and "diet" pills usually have icky chemicals in them that can do alot of damage over time. Also, once you stop taking them, you're hunger is going to come back, and you wouldn't have learned how to eat in a more filling way, so you'd be back to square one. And every single person I've ever known that took any kind of diet pill ended up not only gaining back all the weight, but actually gained more.
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    I don't know of any OTC ones that work personally, but I had success on Phen a few years ago before the birth of my 2nd child. Took it for a month, and continued to lose until I hit goal. Didn't gain it back until after my 3rd child, not everyone gains it back.

I do agree with water, water, water. When I drink a ton I actually have a hard time eating all of my 1200 calories. Crazy, huh? Also, try low cal soups, perhaps with Special K crackers if you need the crunch/carbs. You can have a whole can of :Progresso soup for 224 cals (veggie miniestrone). Drank with water and you'll feel full for at least two hours. A snack of an ounce of smoked guyere cheese (90 cal), special K crackers (assusming you didn't have them for lunch, or you really want more is 70 cal), and grapes (again, more water in them and 60 cal for my serving), and you'll be good to go until dinner! Also, if you love eating a ton of food how about a veggie egg white omelet for breakfast? Egg whites have 16 cal, and you can add tons of veggies and even a bit of cheese if you'd like. Low cal bread if you want, perhaps some protein (veggie bacon is awesome).

I love to eat too, and honestly I was hungry all the time for the first week of dieting. Not going to lie, my stomach was constantly hungry. I just stuck with it, told myself that I was only hurting me if I went over, and whatdya know...I'm not nearly as hungry now. The only times I'm really hungry is when I eat a large meal for dinner, the next day I seem to be starving. Like my body wants to go back to eating a ton of food. Just more reasons not to eat large meals.
  • Sexymama34
    Sexymama34 Posts: 43 Member
    I find eatting protien in the morning really helps alot! and I aslo so take Apple cider vinegar capsules. Brand name: PLATINUM Apple Super , it also has Green Tea, Calcium,Kelp,B6,Chromium
    It also helps with sugar cravings, I find this is the only thing that has ever helped me, it took about 3 days to start to help..but well worth it.
    Hope this info helps:)))
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    bump
  • Ooo, that's a good question. I've asked it before myself. And I love the responses so far. Healthy food, water and exercise. :smile:

Just a warning for those of you who have heart problems, PLEASE don't try appetite suppressants. Especially if you have valve problems. I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse, and have tried appetite suppressants, only to have irregular heart beats, chest pain and a horrible feeling that I guess could be considered as anxiety. Never had that problem before until I tried appetite suppressants.

My advice....do it the "Old-Fashioned" way. Load up on healthy veggies. Eat lean meats, get your fiber, incorporate fruits into your diet, drink plenty of water at the most appropriate times, and......exercise often.

Slow and steady wins the race.....also, get rich quick scams never work, why would lose weight scams work either??
    Something to think about..

Best of luck, and God Bless
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    I found that eating a ton of protein early on in the day helps curb my hunger. I read a study somewhere, it is too early for me to even try to recall where I saw it, but it found that those who were overweight who ate a big breakfast (like 600calories) lost more weight than those who didn't. *shrug*
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    my friend who used to work in a health store recommended these instead of suppressants http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=124&prodid=145&sid=0
  • slimthicky
    slimthicky Posts: 10 Member
    Metamucil powder or any type of fiber powder. Orange and Pink Lemonade are really good. I drink a glass 2-3 times a day as needed inbetween meals when I want to eat but know it's just me being greedy. It fills me up for about 2-3 hours. The sugar free version only has 5 calories per glass, and the regular has 45 :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Before every meal eat a big salad. it will fill you up and if you do a good mix of soft food and crunchy items, it will be more interesting and feel like a big meal. Try to eat as many colors of the rainbow as possible on a daily basis. Most appetite suppressants are a mild form of speed and can be potentially dangerous on your heart. I would stay far, far away from them.
  • I am the same way - I just want to eat a lot of volume.

Fiber and water (and a little protein) are good for this. Drinking tons of water definitely reduces my intake. I also make sure to have fiber and protein in each meal. As many have said, if you want volume, eat lots of veggies and other low-density foods and you can eat a lot of food for very few calories.

For me, though, sometimes this just won't keep me feel for long, and it is like my body is actually asking for more calories. I have tried OTC stuff and nothing worked, but I must say (and I am not recommending this to anyone) that caffeine does help a little bit. I don't take pills, I just drink coffee or tea sometimes instead of the snack I want. Caffeine is all most of those pills are anyway.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Metamucil powder or any type of fiber powder. Orange and Pink Lemonade are really good. I drink a glass 2-3 times a day as needed inbetween meals when I want to eat but know it's just me being greedy. It fills me up for about 2-3 hours. The sugar free version only has 5 calories per glass, and the regular has 45 :)

I agree with the Fiber intake... just up it slowly at first or else you might have some..ummm "issues" until your body gets used to it.
    I have also started with a fiber supplement as I am not getting enough- "most" people only get 10-15 grams per day and it should be much higher...
    That and the WATER.... I also love to find ways to make large meals with low calories.... lots of veggies with a little protien fills me up... that and suprisingly enough eating a big breakfast keeps me full till lunch...

I eat most of my calories for breakfast, med lunch and smaller dinner... with a pm snack only if hungry and have left over calories..

happy eating :)
  • Snacking throughout the day is a great idea. Try to find high protien and high fiber foods. They will curb your hunger pangs. Eating food high in carbs and sugars will only make you hungerier. If you crave sweets have a sugar free jello with sugar free cool whip. To fill you more try a pear. They more fiber then apples. A few nuts or string cheese are good sources of protein. Water WAter WATER!!!!