Reality Check Needed Here, Please

Options
I find it hard to believe that the numbers of calories burned for elliptical and treadmill are correct - I think the burn amount is too high for them. The walking cals burned I think is fine:

This morning I walked 2.5 miles/46 minutes at a brisk pace. Calories burned 129.

After that, I did 15 minutes of the elliptical and 15 minutes of treadmill with 5% incline. The combined total of calories burned was 229. Then I swam leisurely for an hour. The total amount of calories burned was 305.

The last two numbers cannot be correct, can they? The only way I know how to swim is on my back, propelling myself with my arms (they get a good workout) - that's the only way I know how to swim. It is by no means high intensity swimming.

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    These numbers are often inflated. I believe the general recommendation is to only eat back 50-75% of these calories to allow for inaccuracies.
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you ... does everybody experience this? How can you know exactly what you are burning? I don't believe IMHO, that any of them are spot on. But I could be wrong.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You could use a hr monitor, or take your hr during exercise and put it into an online calculator. You can get a better estimate on the cardio machines if you input your age and weight first.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is to eat back 50% and then adjust that over time depending on your actual rate of loss vs your expected rate of loss.