Question about weight loss

Options
What are the most effective workouts for fat loss, both including cardio and weights? What workouts wouldn't be ideal for fat loss?

Replies

• dwhamilton89
    dwhamilton89 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    fat loss isn't just about the training. The real key is diet, which you are obviously working on seems how you have this app. lol but my recommendation is to get your diet and macros outstanding first. then focus on training. diet is 75-80% of your results. but when you do start training, high intensity interval training is great. also hi-reps with weight training. IMO volume is key when trying to fat loss. Not a professional here, i just speak from experience.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Going to differ on opinion on the weight training modality in regards to weightloss. I think you need to follow a lifting program that includes both a intensity (heavy) and metabolic (volume) component during any phase (bulking, cutting, maintaining) of diet. But realize, that out of the two, volume will suffer most due to the restricted caloric intake more than strength. And if you had to choose one over the other, then following a strength focused training regimen would be better. These statements are reflective of opinions from Lyle McDonald, Eric Helms, and Layne Norton. Insert cardio as needed to create more of a caloric deficit (agree with other poster that diet is the main deciding factor for fat loss) but be mindful of the possibility to interfere with recovery for weight training which helps retain existing muscle (or possibly build some).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html/
  • alejandro_08
    alejandro_08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To reduce body fat you need to have an aerobic component to your overall exercise plan, strength training with weights or even your own body weight is beneficial, since muscle is more metabolic than fat meaning its gonna burn more calories at rest, but to utilize your body fat as energy it needs to be done aerobically, since anaerobic exercise usually means glycogen is used as the primary source of energy. calories play the biggest part, so as long as your eating less and working out more that always a plus, but cardiovascular exercise is best. Though I am a preacher of high intensity training the way Arthur Jones taught it! Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    To reduce body fat you need to have an aerobic component to your overall exercise plan, strength training with weights or even your own body weight is beneficial, since muscle is more metabolic than fat meaning its gonna burn more calories at rest, but to utilize your body fat as energy it needs to be done aerobically, since anaerobic exercise usually means glycogen is used as the primary source of energy. calories play the biggest part, so as long as your eating less and working out more that always a plus, but cardiovascular exercise is best. Though I am a preacher of high intensity training the way Arthur Jones taught it! Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

This is true, however, @alejandro_08 you're forgetting something. OP is in a deficit, meaning that it's going to be hard to gain muscle; remember that gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus and losing weight requires a caloric deficit. It's not like OP is going to gain a bunch of muscle in a short time and burn more calories... that'd have to be a lot of muscle, correct?

• alejandro_08
    alejandro_08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great point it really depends on how much the deficit is and if the subject over training or not. if your consuming enough calories and utilizing your body fat as energy to compensate for the rest of your energy expendature all while progressively getting stronger in your workouts then it can be done, my current plan has me eating less and strength training for a total of 1.5 hrs a week, with cardio about 1.5hr a week. My bod pod analysis had me at a bf lose of 4lbs this past month while gaining about 0.25 of lean tissue mass. And this is with about 2,400 calories 60% carbs 25%protien 15%fat

Key point to take away is don't over train and do cardio to utilize your body fat!!