Having a hard time eating enough protein

Options
2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am eating egg whites and lentils, but I still haven't once ever hit my protein target. I don't really like the idea of shakes, they seem synthetic.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes!! Most of them are at least 25g of protein a serving. I have one now everyday to reach my protein intake. I mix with coconut milk and a banana.

You can find a good one at your local grocer or Walmart/Target.

Pure Protein
    Jillian Michaels

These are two good inexpensive choices.
  • sophiej24
    sophiej24 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do eat Greek Yogurt, cheese and eggs a lot. I also have been trying to eat more nuts and soy. I just can't seem to get over 90 grams very often! I've always been slightly anemic (can never give blood), so it's an extra concern of mine. I'm not a milk drinker and don't really like beans, though I do eat them occasionally. We eat a lot of chicken, turkey and fish. I'll just have to keep working on it.

Anaemia occurs as a result of a lack of iron, not protein. Dairy can actually inhibit the uptake of iron (although having said that, getting sufficient calcium is also important) whereas vitamin C can increase iron absorption.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i stopped worrying about hitting my protein target and have noticed absolutely no difference in either weight loss, energy levels or running performance whether i get over my target, or under.

I think trying to get protein in your diet is one thing, but its not particularly necessary to reach a magic artifically high number by supplementing etc unless youre a bodybuilder