HELP! Why am I not losing more weight?

Need advice and encouragement!

I am eating around 1700-1900 calories a day on average. My estimated calorie needs were 3300; creating a pretty large deficit. But I don't feel hungry afterwards either; I'm not starving myself. My injury to my knee and arm prevent me from doing extreme exercises like Insanity or other HIIT.
Anyways, I'm feeling healthier, but my weight is staying pretty much the same. I was at 269 got down to 159 and now for the past month it has been fluctuating daily between 160 and 163.

So some days more, but never less. Not sure what to do; I know I don't have good genetics and weight loss comes hard for me, but this seems ridiculous that I am not losing at least 1-2 pounds a week.

BTW I am wanting to get down to about 190 which would put me in the healthy range. As it is I am considered obese at 6' 0" 260lbs 29 years old.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Do you weigh your food on a scale?
    Do you use any "Generic - " or "Homemade - " entries from the database?

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    -because you haven't given yourself enough time to judge your results
    -because you aren't going to lose every week
    -(the most likely case, depending on how long you've been at it) because your logging is inaccurate
  • gridthusto
    gridthusto Posts: 8 Member
    @shadow2soul Yes I do use Generic or Homemade entries from the database on occasion. @malibu927 I do not think I am logging inaccurately, if by inaccurate you mean that I get the portions wrong or something of the sorts. As far as time goes; with that great a calorie deficit and all the exercise I have been exerting, I should be seeing more weight loss over a three month period imho. Calories in Calories out.
  • malibu927
    Are you using a food scale to weigh everything you eat? If not, then yes, you're most likely entering your portions wrong.
  • shadow2soul
    Be very careful with those entries. Most of the time they are only accurate for the user who created them (providing they use the same ingredients and same amounts every time).

You might want to read this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

• gridthusto
    @malibu927 I am not using a food scale; so that may be the case with homemade stuff. That being said lately I haven't eaten much homemade. I have been eating subway or some prepackaged meals which have fixed portions that I select in the database. So on those I know the portions are right because they're fixed. I have been trying to cut out soda though and at times may underestimate that.
    Still though 3300- 1900 = 1400 calorie deficit and I know for certain I am not that much off on logging. Besides thats the deficit before adding calories burned from exercise.

Also I was pretty much bedridden for 6 months after a motorcycle accident. So I went from no exercise during that time to two months of regular exercise and counting calories.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    gridthusto wrote: »
    @malibu927 I am not using a food scale; so that may be the case with homemade stuff. That being said lately I haven't eaten much homemade. I have been eating subway or some prepackaged meals which have fixed portions that I select in the database. So on those I know the portions are right because they're fixed. I have been trying to cut out soda though and at times may underestimate that.
    Still though 3300- 1900 = 1400 calorie deficit and I know for certain I am not that much off on logging. Besides thats the deficit before adding calories burned from exercise.

Also I was pretty much bedridden for 6 months after a motorcycle accident. So I went from no exercise during that time to two months of regular exercise and counting calories.

there is your problem you have no idea how much calories you consume when you dont weigh your food.
    Serving sizes are wayyy off. And cups and spoons are also inaccurate.

• shadow2soul

How did you come up with 3300 is your TDEE?

I ran your numbers and I have:

Scooby's Accurate Calorie Calculator
    Desk Job with little exercise - 2623 to maintain
    1-3 hrs light exercise per wk - 3006 to maintain
    3-5 hrs moderate exercise per wk - 3388 to maintain
    5-6 hrs strenuous exercise per wk - 3771 to maintain
    7-21 hrs strenuous exercise/work per wk - 4153 to maintain
  • gridthusto
    Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. @PeterJones123 I appreciate the chart and I would say that in pictures and the way my clothes fit I am noticing some improvement regardless of the scale (Also more energy). @shadow2soul Thanks for the link and sharing that; it really does make sense because as you stated it is someone elses entry, recipe, nutritional value according to them.
  • malibu927
    Prepackaged foods can often have more in them than the label says, and most restaurants/fast food places are often very generous with what they give you (I had Chipotle today, asked for half a serving of rice, but it looked like a full serving).

Additionally, a 1400-calorie deficit is too steep. For healthy weight loss, it should be no more than 1000 calories (2 pounds) per week. You would still lose on 1900, but that will also cause muscle loss.

Read these threads, in addition to the one @shadow2soul posted:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
  • gridthusto
    @shadow2soul I used two different calculators and gave TDEE at around 3300. I get at least 3-5 hrs of moderate exercise per week consistently. Your calculator shows 3388 TDEE at that. And I am only consuming 1700-1900 calories a day.
  • Danny0950
    Danny0950 Posts: 26 Member
    @shadow2soul I used two different calculators and gave TDEE at around 3300. I get at least 3-5 hrs of moderate exercise per week consistently. Your calculator shows 3388 TDEE at that. And I am only consuming 1700-1900 calories a day.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • shadow2soul

Keep in mind it's only an estimate and you may have to adjust down.

I'd say tighten up your logging for a bit and see what happens. I definitely recommend a food scale. Even pre-packaged single servings can weigh more than they should for a serving. If things still don't change after a couple weeks, then you will probably have to drop some calories.

Also, if you've been eating out a lot, I bet your sodium has been really high which can cause water retention. Also, restaurants don't make food exactly perfect every time. Some employee's will give you less than what your supposed to get and some will give you almost double what your supposed to get. So you can't really rely on that information to be 100% correct either.
  • gridthusto
    As far as weighing the food I wouldn't argue that it isn't more accurate. However, I would argue that all serving sizes are probably not "way" off or that the numerous calorie logging tools are all wrong. I am confident that the amount of calories I consume daily on average is not so far off that it would exceed the large deficit. Not sure if I explained that clearly, but what I mean to say is I am sure there is still a deficit at the end of the day. Especially after adding in exercise. I used to eat a lot more than I do now and still lost weight. So I really don't think it has anything to do with eating too much.
  • gridthusto
    @shadow2soul I will definitely try what you suggested, and also I agree about the sodium being high. That's something that is unfortunately high in almost everything from eating out, to soup, and prepackaged meals. As soon as our budget permits I plan on eating more veg. I have before and really enjoyed it, but finances are tight so that's led to a less healthy grocery list. Thanks for your suggestions
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Prepackaged foods can often have more in them than the label says, and most restaurants/fast food places are often very generous with what they give you (I had Chipotle today, asked for half a serving of rice, but it looked like a full serving).

Additionally, a 1400-calorie deficit is too steep. For healthy weight loss, it should be no more than 1000 calories (2 pounds) per week. You would still lose on 1900, but that will also cause muscle loss.

Read these threads, in addition to the one @shadow2soul posted:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    I'm not sure that a 1000 calorie a day deficit is necessarily the limit for someone who's 70 pounds overweight. He could potentially pull over 2000 calories a day from fat stores.