mtf transgender weight loss and reduce muscle bulk.

Options
Hello, I am 48yrs 5.7" currentley i weigh 185lbs my goal is150lbs how can i dothis and also reduce muscle bulk i am trying to be thinner in apperance. The main thing i care about is fat loss i have a few medical problems that are reduced with weight loss.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi there. For weight loss, all you need to do is create a calorie deficit.
    Weigh everything that you consume and log it here accurately to make sure your eating at a deficit. Its about calories in ~ calories out .
    As far as losing muscle, i have no idea how to accomplish that safely because its the opposite of my goals, so maybe someone else will chime in with answers to that question.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think you should have a good chat with your Dr.
    Your situation is pretty unique and things like hormone therapy can change things in a way only you and your doctor will know.

I can say that if you are eating at a deficit and lifting you should be able to get stronger without bulking.

Wish I could be of more help, good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Weight loss alone will reduce muscle bulk because eating a lower calorie diet is bound to catabolize some of the muscle mass unless you go out of your way to prevent it. You may want to know that losing fat may lead to revealing more muscle definition regardless of the size once you are at a lower body bat. As the poster above me said, your situation is unique and you may want to discuss it in more detail with your doctor.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight, in addition to muscle. I'm not understanding why you would want to lose muscle?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    First, consider maintaining muscle isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're on HRT, you're not going to maintain a lot to begin with. Carrying more lean body mass tends to help with health problems - health problems that come from excess weight usually have more to do with excess body fat rather than just excess weight, and reducing muscle / lean body mass is going to raise body fat percentage.

That said, if it really is a concern - and I'm a little loathe to recommend it to anyone, but it is your body - reducing protein to very low levels while having a calorie deficit is going to do it. That's what I've heard practiced by female body builders that want to go down from the high weight categories into doing bikini body type competition.

Honestly, please consult a doctor, and possibly a psychologist. You may have a certain amount of body dismorphia about it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I suggest talking to your doctor too... I have no idea how hormones would play a role in that, but I'm guessing your muscles would decrease naturally when you stop producing testosterone? Assuming you're doing some kind of hormones therapy. Otherwise, just eat at a deficit to lose weight.

• governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on hormones, assuming you already started?

I would say give the hormones the time to start working.
    Certainly after an orchidectomy, oestrogen should be taking the upperhand and naturally balance everything out.

As for losing weight, eating in a deficit will do the trick.

I would however recommend to put your health first, above appearance.
    It's already quite hard to deal with being in the wrong body, ignoring your body's vital needs will not make anything better.

I'd suggest having a talk with your endocrinologist about this, but to certainly have some patience.
    I believe time will get you there!
  • JCS2121
    JCS2121 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 48yrs 5.7" currentley i weigh 185lbs my goal is150lbs how can i dothis and also reduce muscle bulk i am trying to be thinner in apperance. The main thing i care about is fat loss i have a few medical problems that are reduced with weight loss.

On a similar journey, happy to be a weight loss buddy. Jenn

• tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with the second comment at the top, about speaking to the doctor.

I know this is slightly different but last year I had a hormonal implant put in and I tried almost everything and I failed miserably on losing weight. However my "diet" just prevented me from putting on more weight like some women on this implant do.

I've removed the implant and I'm successfully losingweight on a calorie deficit diet.

So yh I believe hormones can change everything