1400 calories please post typical menu

Options
MsBonfire
MsBonfire Posts: 12 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have me a total ar$e of my first week and I'm wondering what your menu looks like in a typical day.

Replies

• jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Check out eat this much. It's a free website that does daily meal plans based on calorie needs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Lean protein like chicken and fish, complex carbs, and these days swiss chard, bok choy, kale, and lots and lots of strawberries from the garden.
  • kastephens11
    kastephens11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I usually start off with oatmeal, will have some kind of meat and carbs for lunch, then have a smoothie with cottage cheese and veggies for dinner. But that's on a good day. It usually varies.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal/cereal with almond milk for breakfast
    PB2 and jelly on wheat bread plus a fruit smoothie with protein for lunch
    Meat and veggies/spaghetti/tuna casserole/etc for dinner

Quest bars, cookies, whatever I want to do with my extra calories for snacks.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm supposed to be on 1500 this week but it always falls down to 1400-1450 or so...I usually have a rather large (500 cals) breakfast, like a smoothie made with a banana, (another fruit), cocoa powder, dattes, some milk, and a PB toast or egg on the side. Lunch is around 300-400, and is whatever I can lay my hand on at the moment. Common choices are a pairing of various snacks like an omelette with tofu and spinach or smoked ham slices, a homemade whole bran muffin, tons of veggies, guacamole dip (half an avocado is used) and crudites, greek yogurt etc.
    Sometimes a small tortilla with a protein, lettuce, tomato and mayo.
    I have a 150-200 cals snack in the afternoon, like greek yogurt with maple syrup, rawnola or fruit, or just any fruit of the size of my fist.
    Dinner is always very different as I'm a wild cook always trying new things, but it's generally along the lines of brown rice/baked sweet potato or any other potato for my carbs, a tremendous amount of veggies (often sauteed with curry spices and stuff. My faves are bokchoy, spinach, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms and bell peppers. You can make anything out of those), and some fish or beans. I don't eat large quantities of meat, when I do. Usually falls down to 500 calories on average.
    As i said if you pile up the calories i've mentionned in this post you'll see that it's way higher than 1400, but those are just estimated ranges and i'll play around with them (a larger dinner, smaller lunch and vice versa).
  • mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't touch processed food, cook. On 1400 I would replace pasta, rice and bread with lentils (or lower calorie: beans) - they have plenty of protein in addition to carbohydrates and keep you full much longer than grains. Potatoes are also fine, very satisfying for carb cravings but much more difficult to overeat on them than on grains. I would not eat carbs with every meal meal though. Lot's of vegetables, I would mainly eat fruit as snack. I need to drink lot's of water in order to process all the protein. For me it's generally a good idea not to drink any calories. Experiment with plenty of herbs and spices they have miraculous powers to make food tasty and interesting ("replacing" some fat and salt and sugar..). I love to mix different varieties of salad. Use lemon and mustard and vinegar and yoghurt for salad rather than ready made sauces. Maybe buy some expensive oil that you are hesitant to use and experiment with different flavors.

I usually don't eat that little, but When cutting out the cappuccino's and bread and workouts it would look sth like that:
    Breakfast: Yoghurt (protein!) with berries and roasted nuts coated in honey.
    Lunch: Omelet, grilled chicken/pork/beef/lamb, smoked fish or any other animal protein with vegetables or Salad.
    Dinner: Cooked or grilled vegetables, (often as soup which I find very satisfying, it fills you up and keeps you warm and full for long plus you can pre-cook, portion out and eat whenever you need it) here is where the lentils or beans fit in for me, earlier the day I don't need that carbohydrated feeling so much ;)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    2 cups of coffee mixed with 1 scoop protein powder + 1 cup skim milk=275
    Salad with chicken and mozzarella for lunch=325
    Fish cooked in 1 T. peanut oil, potatoes, peas=400

Which leaves 400 calories for late night snacks.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My dairy is open, so feel free to have a look.
  • joyfulton94
    joyfulton94 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: cinnamon raisin toast with a tbsp of light peanut butter and a 12oz fruit and yogurt smoothie (homemade).

Lunch: some kind of deli meat or my new favorite a chicken and carmalized onion with smoked Gouda chicken burgers (from Costco 150 cal) with a slice of provologne cheese and a tbsp of light mayo, tomato and lettuce on a wrap (110 cal also from Costco) and a cup of fruit (watermelon, strawberries, pineapple).

Dinner: 5 oz of meat (whatever kind chicken, steak, pork, salmon), a serving of a carb (Mac n cheese, rice, potatoes) and a huge salad or 3 cups of veggies (collards, cabbage, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower).

Snack: 1 oz of Jack Daniels and 1 can of Pepsi.
    Or fruit salad with redi whip.

I exercise doing water aerobics, zumba, or YouTube videos 5-6 days a week but rarely eat any of the calories back.

Good luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    MsBonfire wrote: »
    I have me a total ar$e of my first week and I'm wondering what your menu looks like in a typical day.

What do you like to eat?

I would say start with that but less. At least that is what I did while losing weight and what I do now that I've been maintaining.
  • geministyle
    geministyle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1400-ish and diary is open. Feel free to look for ideas.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There's no sense in unnecessarily restricting "processed foods" if you don't need to.

Here's one day I did:
    Breakfast: Homemade McMuffin (egg, english muffin, canadian bacon), blueberries (318 cals)
    Lunch: Meatballs, mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrots (566 cals)
    Dinner: Sauteed sausage with onions and shredded red cabbage. (338 cals)
    Snack: 2 Chips Ahoy cookies (146 cals)

Total : 1368 cals.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My diary is at 1460ish I think and it is open. The last few days haven't been at that level but feel free to look through it if you want for ideas.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    MsBonfire wrote: »

What do you like to eat?

I would say start with that but less. At least that is what I did while losing weight and what I do now that I've been maintaining.

Definitely this!! Eat whatever you love... just make sure your portions fit your daily calories. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have stuck to this at all. :smile: And I'm losing weight eating what I love.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love to eat, so I try to eat as many times a day as I can in little portions (I'm eating 1200 cals a day)

Usually 50g of cereal and unsweetened almond milk for breakfast.
    A serving of fruit as my first snack like grapes, strawberries, or bananas.
    Either a peanut butter & fluff sandwich, chicken caesar salad wrap, or banana & nutella toast for lunch (these are my favorites).
    Another snack, sometimes another serving of fruit, most of the time something salty like pretzels, crackers, chips.
    I eat dinner with my family. Most of the time, pork and beef is served, but my plate consists of seafood/chicken, brown rice, and veggies for me since I don't eat red meat anymore. If I'm feeling lazy to cook, and my family is eating red meat, I'll usually heat up something frozen.
    My late night snack is usually something sweet and/or chocolatey, like ice cream.

The things I eat are what I enjoy to make my weight loss journey easy which keeps me happy. I learned how to fit my favorites into my day and have found low-cal alternatives for most after some time especially since I love snacks more than actual meals. :P
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged about "messing up" your first week. It will give you a good analysis of how you WERE eating and what direction you need to adjust your nutrition program. If going cold turkey from a high-fat, high-carb, high-sugar diet is going to be too difficult to adjust to, just tweak it a little bit here & there to start with. Then tweak a little more next week, etc. If 1400 cals doesn't seem enough, bump it up a little & then dial it down week by week. Or set one day a week to be your "cheat" day, so you can look forward to a treat. I don't mind skimping during the week and going under my calorie goal if I know I am going to have a juicy cheeseburger on Saturday!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. There's no typical days for me. The following meals make the rounds for dinner;
    - crustless quiche with feta and spinach
    - spaghetti bolognese
    - lamb cutlets and vegetables
    - broccolini pad thai (pad thai with no meat)
    - chicken veg stir fry

Snacks could be fruit, porridge, crackers, etc. I personally believe it's better to avoid snacking unless you're hungry.

Lunches are usually leftovers eg crustless quiche and stir fry but I fast two days a week which means I skip breakfast and lunch two days a week.

On the weekends I like making green juices with spinach, celery, carrot and apple. For lunch I'll fry up a few eggs and lots and lots of vegetables to make like a veggie scrambled egg thing.

I often have icecream for dessert and I rarely eat breakfast.
  • mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    There's no sense in unnecessarily restricting "processed foods" if you don't need to.

Here's one day I did:
    Breakfast: Homemade McMuffin (egg, english muffin, canadian bacon), blueberries (318 cals)

No, there is no need, but processed stuff typically lacks sufficient vegetables and is loaded with sugar and salt and fat in amounts that make it unattractive to me because I will be hungry again soon. If I cook at home or go to a restaurant it's usually better, more satisfying and (at least at home) I safe lots and lots of calories for my bigger breakfast, afternoon cake or mid-night snack.
    Your day though looks rally good :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Here's one day I did:

No, there is no need, but processed stuff typically lacks sufficient vegetables and is loaded with sugar and salt and fat in amounts that make it unattractive to me because I will be hungry again soon. If I cook at home or go to a restaurant it's usually better, more satisfying and (at least at home) I safe lots and lots of calories for my bigger breakfast, afternoon cake or mid-night snack.
    Your day though looks rally good :)

I can cosign this. Cooking at home one of the best ways to take control. Eat what appeals to you and what meets your needs. And always fit it within your limits.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, veggies, cottage cheese, some fruit, cheese, nuts (make sure those are weighed since they're so calorie dense!), chicken, beans, salads... Those types of foods an help you stay fuller for longer.

Also: water, coffee and tea!

It's okay to mess up and it won't be the last time! Just look back at your foods and see how you could have made different choices to get you to your goal.