Hi, I'm Natalie I just had surgery and need help losing weight any suggestions ?

Options
nattyanne123
nattyanne123 Posts: 23 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all, I just had an operation on my ACL with meniscus repair.
Well I need to loose weight it's so exhaustingly hard carrying 30-40 unwanted kilos especially with a painful leg... :(((((Lost 2 kgs since operation probs from using the walker as it's exhausting... I currently weigh 101.4kgs.
I also have other medical issues that need to be considered, bulging disc in low spine, neck has osteo all through every disc as well as in knees. I have bursitis and tendernitis in right shoulder.
How do I loose weight being sedentary at the moment? I'm having porridge with half banana for breaky I guess it's a start :) any suggestions please help...!!
Is sweet potato and peas and corn ok on own say for dinners... ?
What other easy things should I eat, please help if you can ??
Even though I'm mainly stuck in bed or on couch while leg is healing I am determined to get back to size 8-10.
It's horrid being 18-20.
I had my surgery on the 8.6.15.
I would be grateful for your kind feedback as I want to change my ways..
I usually do disability support work and am a kind person helping others in the community, it would be nice to be offered some great helpful advice.. When I do disability work you find yourself eating out a lot as some clients I work with are profoundly autistic and you can't cook there or even sometimes eat there as they are food focused and try to take your food off you while your eating it.. I also have to take them in the community for access a lot and often out around meal times... I also live in generally very got humid weather in Townsville Australia so it's not possible to keep esky as ice melts into food ..

Replies

• bcschulz
    bcschulz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've gone vegetarian. I also do not eat and processed foods. It's really easier than I thought initially. I've lost 40 lbs so far. There are tons of recipes online. You might could give it a try.
    Add friends that will help you stay motivated.
    Best wishes,
    Brian
  • nattyanne123
    Options
    Thanks for your kind advise, my daughter has just gone vegetarian too and is looking great... I love meat, but would give it up if I have to... Maybe I should give a try.. I wonder if that works being so sedentary, and could you over eat still?
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I also had ACL repair done previously, and it was horrible. The immobility makes it even worse. When you set your goals on MFP make sure you state that you are sedentary and that will help with the calories you should intake. Many people have lost weight without exercising at all. (My mom lost 120 pounds and never once exercised except for some walking after she lost about 80) Just remember you won't be immobile forever. Start tracking your calories now and as long as you eat at a deficit you will see small results. When you're able to get moving again, start small and work your way up! Good luck!
  • allisoncouturier
    allisoncouturier Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi! I can completely relate. I was hit by a drunk driver back in 2003 and ended up 13 surgeries so far. From lumbar neurosurgery to knee replacements, I've seemed to have it all. I have gained and lost 30lbs so many times just from inactivity/chronic pain/depression/having 2 kids, working full time as a RN. Excuses, really. For every pound lost, there is 4 lbs less force on your knees when you walk. It is SO worth it.
    I am unable to do simple things like walk without pain, but I am pushing myself and just beginning to lift weights to gain strength. I am also riding a recumbent bicycle and journaling every bite of food/drink I take. I'm shooting for 120g of protein, 90g carbs and 55g fat per day. Think of food as fuel and not a leisurely activity. If you have any connection with resources/insurance, ask for a dietician. They are so helpful in making it easy to understand. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. There are simple ways to address the activity, the hard work lies in the fuel we put in our bodies. Best of luck to you!
  • nattyanne123
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing I have a hard road ahead... It's great to hear your journey and getting results :) I hope I have the strength to do it ...and your right I do make excuses too... I look forward to trying to change ..
  • tinkie469
    tinkie469 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through as I had brain surgery 4/15/2014 and 6 months later on 10/20/2014 I had a cadaver knee transplant and was in a wheelchair for 3 months, then crutches and now a cane. I just started physical therapy last week finally. I put on weight after my brain surgery from steroids and then when I finally started losing the weight I got the call that they had found me a donor match for my knee. My doctor suggested the palleo diet which really seemed to help me maintain my weight during my periods of immobility and now I have cut my calories to 1200 a day and fat grams to under 40. Hoping to finally see some weight come off! I wish you the best of luck!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is necessary for weight loss is calorie deficit. Any type of food you eat is fine as long as you maintain a calorie deficit. Vegetarianism is absolutely unnecessary.
  • nattyanne123
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback and support as it's helpful :)
  • nattyanne123
    Options
    tinkie469 wrote: »
    I totally understand what you are going through as I had brain surgery 4/15/2014 and 6 months later on 10/20/2014 I had a cadaver knee transplant and was in a wheelchair for 3 months, then crutches and now a cane. I just started physical therapy last week finally. I put on weight after my brain surgery from steroids and then when I finally started losing the weight I got the call that they had found me a donor match for my knee. My doctor suggested the palleo diet which really seemed to help me maintain my weight during my periods of immobility and now I have cut my calories to 1200 a day and fat grams to under 40. Hoping to finally see some weight come off! I wish you the best of luck!

• nattyanne123
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear what you going through and glad you responded and shared your history as it's a comfort to know that others can relate when you are so inactive and gained weight from previous injuries... I would like to stay in touch if that's ok, we may be able to motivate each other? And all the best with your goals I know it's hard..xx
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,782 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It sounds like you're going through a lot! I'd recommend talking to your doctor about what exercises are safe for you to do. If you've been prescribed physiotherapy then be sure to do those exercises faithfully. They are not fun, but they make you stronger in the long run.

Since most of your weight loss (for now) will be from what you eat and not what you do, track your calories as carefully as you can. Weigh all your solid foods and measure all your liquids with a measuring cup. Track them here on MFP. Since your body is healing from surgery, try to eat foods that are more nutritious and less of the junk food.

Personally, I would not try to go full vegetarian right now. You need a lot of protein to heal. Long-time veggies know how to get all their protein from plant-based sources but it's not easy to figure out when you're new to the concept. It's far easier to cook a chicken breast. ;) If you're mostly couch-bound right now, maybe look up some YouTube videos on seated exercise or "sit and be fit" types.

Don't rush the weight loss. Heal from the surgery first, and start tracking now so you can see your eating patterns. Then when you're healed and can move more you can step up the weight loss efforts. :) Good luck!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    1) you don't need to exercise to lose weight, 2) the stress of healing will impede your progress so be patient with yourself, 3) don't skimp on protein while you are healing, 4) if you want to exercise try seated workouts and anything you can do with your body weight.

When I broke my leg last fall, I switched the Zumba classes I was teaching to Zumba in a chair, you can find my videos on YouTube. Also, I created a workout at home using free weights and body weight (push ups, one leg planks, etc.).
  • nattyanne123
    Options
    a
    It sounds like you're going through a lot! I'd recommend talking to your doctor about what exercises are safe for you to do. If you've been prescribed physiotherapy then be sure to do those exercises faithfully. They are not fun, but they make you stronger in the long run.

Since most of your weight loss (for now) will be from what you eat and not what you do, track your calories as carefully as you can. Weigh all your solid foods and measure all your liquids with a measuring cup. Track them here on MFP. Since your body is healing from surgery, try to eat foods that are more nutritious and less of the junk food.

Personally, I would not try to go full vegetarian right now. You need a lot of protein
  • nattyanne123
    Options
    Thanks so much for your helpful tips and keeping me on track, it's been really hard as I'm in a full leg splint from ACL/meniscus operation and am so isolated my knee still has stitches in it and is swollen, we ice daily.. I can only do very limited movement with the knee as swelling is bad still.. I do small physio so I don't go stiff but am not meant to do that cause of swelling.. Will see physio Fri is first appt and getting down front steps scares the crap out of me as only done one practice so far in Hospitial with physio and nurse and still fell 3 times..
    I had been using walker and it's like a mini marathon and hands are killing me, it's totally exhausting going like 6metres..
    I have been moving my arms and thinking about small weights for them as can't move bad leg at all- tiny movements pull hamstring graft and I have nerve damage from operation a lot of numbness.. Every small movement hurts and only just starting to lie on side in bed for short time after 8 days straight on back... All muscles are sore from being sedentary it's terrible..
    I just can't wait to get on a treadmill..
    I have been at times testing myself and putting full weight on leg probs not smart as currently around the 100kgs mark..
    Thanks so much for taking time to post me as I don't have much support.. I will check your UTube videos.. :)
    Thanks again for everything
    Nat :)
  • nattyanne123
    Options
    s

Personally, I would not try to go full vegetarian right now. You need a lot of protein to heal. Long-time veggies know how to get all their protein from plant-based sources but it's not easy to figure out when you're new to the concept. It's far easier to cook a chicken breast. ;) If you're mostly couch-bound right now, maybe look up some YouTube videos on seated exercise or "sit and be fit" types.

Don't rush the weight loss. Heal from the surgery first, and start tracking now so you can see your eating patterns. Then when you're healed and can move more you can step up the weight loss efforts. :) Good luck!

Thanks for your helpful advise I will try hard to do all your suggestions as they seem very logical..
    It's good to know kind people out there can help you.. I'm suffering a lot in past 8 days since surgery so it's good to know there is hope..
    Thanks for taking time to post
    Kind Regards
    Nat :)
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recently torn my ACL as well. I really liked The Diet Fix by Yoni Freedhoff as a resource. Good luck!