Krav Maga and other martial arts

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I'm looking for friends who do Krav Maga like I do. I am also looking for before and afters from those who use extreme martial arts (XMA, MMA, Muay Thai etc) as a major (or only) part of their workout routine. Do you also lift weights or do other exercises? How do you balance them? My instructor said that combatives can be the fastest way to 6 pack abs. I'm curious what the results would really be with just MA at a non professional level.

I do Krav Maga and Stronglifts5x5 (though I'm on a break right now from this) and sometimes run. My routine is definitely easier to manage when I'm bulking. It can be extremely difficult when I'm cutting.

Replies

• lilawolf
    Options
    In case anyone is curious about what Krav is:
    Krav Maga is a self-defense system developed by the Israeli army. In Hebrew, the Krav Maga literally means "contact combat." Developed by Hungarian boxer and wrestler Imrich Lichtenfeld in the 1930s, the technique was first used by Israeli underground paramilitary organizations such as Haganah. When Israel became an official country in 1948, Lichtenfeld was appointed Chief Instructor and Combat Trainer for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). Since then, Krav Maga has spread, and it's now practiced in over 30 countries around the world. At first view, Krav Maga may look like a martial art, but it's actually a form of combat with no rules and no limitations. Martial arts such as Judo, Karate, and even wrestling are considered sports; Krav Maga, on the other hand, is a regulated form of combat. In fact, the point of Krav Maga is to take the enemy down as quickly as possible. Some teachers of Krav Maga explain it as "the art of going home alive," which means that groin strikes, choking, and headbutts are considered acceptable moves.

In addition to using their bodies to fight, practitioners of Krav Maga are taught to use the environment as a weapon. This means learning to use any object nearby, from bottles to baseball bats, as a gun-substitute. The objective of Krav Maga is to avoid injury in real-life scenarios, such as fights, street attacks, and violent encounters. Advanced students of Krav Maga learn to defend themselves from gun and knife attacks, multiple attacker scenarios, headlocks, and ground fighting. Most self-defense classes today teach some variation of Krav Maga. Military training in Krav Maga is more extreme, including manual killing techniques, defense against grenades, and disarmament of the enemy. All military and police offices in Israel are trained in Krav Maga, and so are many Special Forces Units around the world. In the US, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the United States Marine Corps, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) Anti-terrorism Specialty Team all learn Krav Maga as part of their physical training.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Maybe martial artists usually don't need to count calories? :-p
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I'm going to try one more time...
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I train in muay thai and bjj. In the past I did Shotokan Karate and Judo. I haven't taken Krav Maga though.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    have been interested but so far haven't taken the plunge
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of hurting people efficiently.

I also have plans to increase international travel. I should get my butt into some KM.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just started mma with an emphasis on bjj and kempo striking.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Again, is martial arts a portion or all of your exercise routine? What else do you do? What changes have you seen in your body?
  • lilawolf
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I also have plans to increase international travel. I should get my butt into some KM.

It is rather.... satisfying :smiley: I'm going to Bali for a week by myself followed by two weeks in China with coworkers. Last summer I spent 2 months in Thailand by myself. It is one of my biggest motivators.

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm a karate practitioner, i study Shorei Ryu and Ryukyu Kempo, with emphasis on nerv manipulation.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I'm a karate practitioner, i study Shorei Ryu and Ryukyu Kempo, with emphasis on nerv manipulation.

Again, is martial arts a portion or all of your exercise routine? What else do you do? What changes have you seen in your body?
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »

martial arts is only a portion, the changes I've seen are increased flexibility, stamina, drive.

I run, I do body weight exercises, I plank, ddp yoga.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

It is rather.... satisfying :smiley: I'm going to Bali for a week by myself followed by two weeks in China with coworkers. Last summer I spent 2 months in Thailand by myself. It is one of my biggest motivators.

I wandered through a favela just for the fun of it when I was in Rio last Feb. Was an interesting experience.

It's always good to know you can handle things at need. lol.
  • amontgomery78th
    amontgomery78th Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a Kravist south of Atlanta. While I distance run and weight lift, Krav Maga is my primary work out. I'm certified level2 practicer and level 1 instructor. Now knowing this, Krav Maga will help you get in. Shape and be able to defend yourself. If you are looking at getting thinner, and cut, then you have to check you diet with your exercise. Food fuels your body and putting the wrong fuel in will delay your results.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I practice aikido and just took my shodan last weekend after 6 years of consistent training. However I don't consider my art an extreme martial art, because it isn't. Nor is it a combat art. Fighting skills are not my reason for practicing a martial art. However I do find that it is fine exercise as well as being very helpful in many aspects of day to day life. I train 3 nights a week for 2 hours each with additional training when it is available. It is not my sole source of exercise.
  • amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't do KM, nowhere near me for it, although it looks intriguing! I'm currently training with the goal of black belt in Shotokan Karate, and am looking at adding BJJ in the fall. I train 2-3 times a week in the dojo, and make sure I am doing all I can on the off days, both weight training and cardio work - I live out in the boondocks, so things like running the country roads when the snow isn't knee deep ;) I am sure I am totally lightweight compared to heavy weights and KM, but MA makes my blood roar like nothing else can.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in the replies as I've been wanting to start to train KM and to become a weapon! Currently on a 5-7 day of lifting and 4-5 days of cardio per week. When I get to my goal...within 10 lbs I'm gonna get serious about it! Would love to see what others do...Thanks for starting this thread!
  • dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Before MMA and CICO

is2iEqq.jpg

After MMA

IyoyzXS.jpg

This was from over a year and half of doing 5-6 days a week of KB/Boxing conditioning classes along with more technique focused BJJ and KB classes 2-3 times a week.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    dbomb76 wrote: »
    Before MMA and CICO

is2iEqq.jpg

After MMA

IyoyzXS.jpg

This was from over a year and half of doing 5-6 days a week of KB/Boxing conditioning classes along with more technique focused BJJ and KB classes 2-3 times a week.

Hot damn (and I mean that respectfully). Great work/progress! Did you go to a dojo? or a gym with KB "style" classes? or a video? Any other workouts? Nice work :)
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started Krav maybe two months ago. Since I bike to work and lift 3x per week, I am only taking Krav once a week and Escrima once a week. At this time I am in a deficit, so my lifting program isn't strength.