Food staples?

Options
Anyone have any recommendations on what to always keep in the fridge when trying to lose weight? (Anything at all) thanks!(:

Replies

• Sip3hey
    Sip3hey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lemons. Applecider vinegar. Water. Apples. Oranges. Strawberries. Leafy green foods. Quick tip. Only shop around the outer perimeters of the grocery store. Never down the aisles. Unless it's for seasonings.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    brod2296 wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations on what to always keep in the fridge when trying to lose weight? (Anything at all) thanks!(:

Chicken breast/steak, skim milk, shredded cheese, frozen chicken, and ice cream of some sort. Finding room for treats keep me level-headed.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Eggs, fruit, veggies, frozen salmon, canned tuna. So easy to use and quick to prepare!
  • bcbgfitqueen
    bcbgfitqueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eggs, skim milk, chicken breast, cottage cheese, water, actual butter (none of that vegetable oil mix stuff), Greek yogurt, cheese blocks (I eat mozzarella and cheddar)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fresh or frozen leafy greens, yellow squash, broccoli, bell peppers, asparagus.
    Also various mustards, hot sauce, pickles, olives, packaged sliced cheese, coconut milk, tofu, ricotta cheese, sliced almonds, chia seeds, eggs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    for me staples have become

Cartons of Egg Whites, Laughing Cow Light Triangles, Cheddar Cheese (bought whole then grated)
    Bags of Mixed Salad Leaves, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, avocado, tomato, other veg
    0% Greek Yogurt, Berries
    Mars and Snickers ice cream bars and Fab and Solero Ice Lollies
    Walkers Pops - melted cheese and crispy bacon, Quavers, Popchips - Salt & Pepper
    White Farmhouse Bread
    Cottage Cheese with onion and chive
    Chicken. Steak, Fish
    72% chocolate .. ideally with cranberries in it but salted caramel also good

Alongside Sunday Batch cooking - so big tubs of grab and go foods ... tends to be stuff like
    Salmon fishcakes (freeze well), Veggie Stew, Chicken Cacciatore, Risotto, chopped up salad I also pre-cook white basmati rice on a grab and go basis
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh and cooking staples of course: garlic, ginger, chillies and a wide range of herbs and spices as well as Olive Oil and Cooking oil and balsamic

And condiments - ketchup and brown sauce and light mayo

and OMG ... I almost forgot ... BACON!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Butter (kerrygold)
    Spinach
    Cherry tomatoes
    Avocado
    Mushrooms
    Chicken thighs
    Ground beef/pork
    Sardines....

I buy these items pretty much every time I go shopping.

Edit: I almost forgot dark chocolate (85%)... although I usually put this in my freezer.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts and boneless skinless thighs, laughing cow snack round cheese, grapes, fresh pinapple, hard boiled eggs, sugar free fat free caramel coffee creamer, grape tomatoes, huge amounts of mixed greens (bought a special container to keep fresh longer) heads of cauliflower. I also keep fiber one protein bars and they have a line of cookies and snack cakes which are higher in fiber, lower in sugar.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    As you are talking fridge..

Milk full fat
    Butter (not used often)
    Bananas
    Broccoli
    Cream cheese
    Greek Yoghurt
    Eggs
    Fish
    Chocolate, more chocolate
    Cheese(eat rarely)
    Chciken breast.
    Bacon
    Some diet coke or similar.
    Strawberries.

Thats fridge not freezer.

Interesting to nosey whats in peoples fridges. Im now thinking of what isnt in there that might previously have been. Lifesyle change and all that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my fridge always has

veggies
    eggs
    greek yogurt
    milk
    chocolate
    cheese
    seafood
    diet coke

Freezer has tonnes of other stuff.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, fuit, milk, yoghurt, meat, fish, more vegetables, more fruit :)
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    93/7 ground beef, chicken breasts, turkey breast, eggs
    Bacon, Cheddar smoked sausages, sandwich meat, Perdue Simply Smart chicken strips
    Variety of cheeses (my current fave is Boars Head chipotle gouda), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, butter
    Whatever fruits & vegetables are on sale for the week -fresh, canned, frozen. Always have leafy greens, tomatoes, onions, carrots on hand as well
    Joseph's whole grain flatbread & pitas, Thomas lite English muffins
    Heinz 57 sauce, mayo, different mustards
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sip3hey wrote: »
    Only shop around the outer perimeters of the grocery store. Never down the aisles. Unless it's for seasonings.
    I hear that sort of advice a lot, but it's not great advice, especially since not all grocery stores are set up the same way. My favorite local store, for example, has its soda on the inside perimeter of the store, directly facing the yogurt and assorted dairy cases; meanwhile, I need to go down the aisles to find things like dried lentils (which is one of my definite "on hand at all times" foods when losing weight) and nuts (another must-have on-hand for healthy snacking). Another store I shop at has the ice cream and other frozen desserts on the perimeter; and, again, some must-have dry goods staples are down the aisles.

In general, the perimeter of the average grocery store does place produce, fresh meats, and dairy on their perimeter (partly because of the need for cold cases). But avoiding the middle aisles is cutting yourself off from some good foods.

• likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    low fat soy milk, broccoli, tomatoes, tofu (all kinds), bread and yeast spreads, Edamame, soy yogurt, bananas, apples, oatmeal, baked beans, OLIVES (my addiction) and pickles. Also a ton of tea.
    Oh, and Jelly Beans or Skittles...these are necessary to keep me sane at work...
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    lowfat cottage cheese
    light string cheese sticks
    fresh veggies (baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, green peppers, cucumbers)
    low-carb tortillas
    spicy mustard
    salsa
    skinless boneless chicken breast
    turkey or ham
    mini baby bell cheese
    Pure protein bars (for a treat or meal replacement)
    pork rinds (sometimes I need the salty crunchy texture and taste)
    Greek yogurt
    fresh fruit (berries, watermelon, apples, oranges)

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Stuff I almost always have on hand:
    Vegetables- spinach, carrots, peppers, onions, zucchini, celery, broccoli, potaoes, etc
    Fruit

Water- I keep a pitcher of water in my refrigerator
    Milk
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt, plain yogurt
    Butter
    Cheese
    Salad dressing- balsalmic vinaigrette for example
    Condiments
    Pickles, olives
    Meat

Frozen vegetables
    Frozen fruit

Dry beans, lentils, rice, pasta, canned tomato, canned fruit, tuna
    Cereal, oatmeal, granola bars, trail mix, nuts
    Spices, cooking spray, oils, vinegars, lemon juice, baking stuff
    Peanut butter
    Popcorn
    Dark chocolate
    Dried fruit
    Bread
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    any fruit and any vegetable. either homemade or multigrain breads. cheese because well, cheeeeeeeeese, graham crackers, skim milk, whole grain saltines, sparkling ice, pickles, greek yogurt, kashi golean, chicken.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks...low cal per stick, easy to take on the go and tasty.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eggs, cartons of egg whites, peanut butter, baby spinach, fresh fruit, pita bread, nonfat milk, broccoli, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, avocado, red bell peppers, fresh green beans, onions, fresh asparagus, zucchini squash, diet decaf green tea. In the freezer: chicken (breasts and thighs), lean ground turkey, veggie burgers (I eat them for lunch in salad).

Also always on hand: canned chicken, almonds/slivered almonds, olive oil, COFFEE.