Oh god damn this is frustrating. I feel like going off diet!

Options
I've gotten my 10,000 steps every single day this week and not eaten above my 1800 calories a day. Religiously. And what happens? Weight goes up weight goes down. But really, mathematically, I should be 3 lbs lighter than the scale is showing! Ahhh!

I was excited to be 227 before my little road trip today but now after not seeing it I'm about to say "screw it. I'll go on a counting break for the 2 days I'm gone". Talk me out of it! Quick!

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Weight loss ins't linear, there will be fluctuations. That's normal. Are you using a food scale to measure your food?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Weight loss ins't linear, there will be fluctuations. That's normal. Are you using a food scale to measure your food?

+1
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Right. I share your pain. I seem to be stuck no matter what I do (scales/ measurements) (plateau?)

I keep repeating that if I stop now, the weight will just go back on. I'm trying to think long term - not saying I haven't indulged, but I am putting my foot down.

You could take a counting break. What's the worst that could happen? For me, I need the routine. Could you get back on track again?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Put down the fork slowly. Jk seriously troutsy is right. Measuring is so key. You so got this!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Weightloss isn't linear. That gain and loss can be due to not drinking enough water, excess sodium intake, exercise(muscles need water to repair), or the fact that you haven't "dropped the kids off at the pool". Stick with it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Wildstorms wrote: »
    Right. I share your pain. I seem to be stuck no matter what I do (scales/ measurements) (plateau?)

I keep repeating that if I stop now, the weight will just go back on. I'm trying to think long term - not saying I haven't indulged, but I am putting my foot down.

You could take a counting break. What's the worst that could happen? For me, I need the routine. Could you get back on track again?

Listen to these people.

Also, aren't you trying to make lifetime changes? If so, you quit now, you won't be able to do that.
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Somebody once told me that you always get the weigh in you deserve, you just don't necessarily get it the week you deserve it. There are lots of reason that your weight could be bouncing around - sodium increase, increases in activity. Heck for me, a day higher in carbs will cause a slight increase for a day or two.

Yes you could not count for the next 2 days, but where is that going to get you? I know when I don't count or I don't log until the end of the day, I normally eat more calories than I intended to/realized. Do this for the long haul. Weight loss is not linear and sometimes even when you are doing everything right, your body is just going to rebel and not show what you think it should be.

• rachsoderberg
    rachsoderberg Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Add more steps/more activity maybe? Your body eventually adapts to the routine and will hit a point where you don't see the same effects anymore. That's why HIIT and routines like BeachBody are so popular, they keep your body guessing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale?
    do you eat back 100% of exercise calories…

my weights the last four weeks..

so weight is no linear …you are going to have a week where you gain a little from bloat and other weeks where you lose a lot..

patience is the key.

Also, are you doing a super restrictive diet such as eliminating foods that you think are "bad"..??

• lorrainebertocchiashby
    Options
    I've gotten my 10,000 steps every single day this week and not eaten above my 1800 calories a day. Religiously. And what happens? Weight goes up weight goes down. But really, mathematically, I should be 3 lbs lighter than the scale is showing! Ahhh!

I was excited to be 227 before my little road trip today but now after not seeing it I'm about to say "screw it. I'll go on a counting break for the 2 days I'm gone". Talk me out of it! Quick!

I lost 15 lbs and then...got tired of exercising. Gained 3 lbs in one week. Ate the same, didn't matter. Trying to get back to the exercising..and I'm tired ...just don't feel like it. Very discouraged.
    Don't stop ..its that much harder to start again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hear you OP. I had a month when I should have lost 2 pounds and the scale didn't even move... then the next month I ate way more and maintained. It makes no sense sometimes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear

This is me in maintenance over 3 months

ok4j7f9wu57e.jpg
  • nickie1935
    nickie1935 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I have been having the same problem, friends keep saying "don't trust the number on the scale. Pay attention to how your clothes fit."
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating, but 3lbs could easily be water weight, or muscle gains.. Even the stuff in your colon will add to the scale a times. Don't allow yourself to get discouraged, keep working and measure again in a couple weeks. If you are eating right, you'll probably see a big loss then.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and be patient.

Check your logging for accuracy- food or exercise. Check that the entries you are using are right.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The goal you set with mfp is a weekly average over the long term goal, not a weekly absolute goal. If you want to take a couple of days at maintenance, do it. But don't quit permanently because, mathematically, you are on track.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Add more steps/more activity maybe? Your body eventually adapts to the routine and will hit a point where you don't see the same effects anymore. That's why HIIT and routines like BeachBody are so popular, they keep your body guessing.

no, if you're in a deficit you will always lose fat
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

It's two days. Count or don't count. Shouldn't be the end of the world!

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    a whole week?

wow!!!

you should just give up...:)