Does the uncomfortable hungry feeling go away?

Options
Does the hunger go away after a while, and if so, when? I'm obeying the calories deficit for how much I want to lose (15 lbs over the course of 15 weeks) and taking back around 200 to make sure it's accurate, as I've seen some of you say. I also do cardio and a little strength every day. It's not painful hunger, it's kind of uncomfortable and distracting.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Maybe a 500 calorie deficit is too much for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    Two months ago, I upped my protein, veggies, and exercise, and decreased simple carbs, and have only been slightly hungry right before a meal. I have consistently lost a pound a week.

If you are already eating lots of foods that will enhance fullness, are you drinking enough water? The body's signal for thirst is sometimes misinterpreted as hunger.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Some days are worse than others. Eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water can help. I agree that maybe a 500 cal deficit is too much. I try to eat until I am satisfied, but not stuffed. I still feel hungry a lot, so losing weight will take a long time.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It might depend on what you're eating. Around the times you get hungry allow some calories for a small snack, or add in some foods that will keep you fuller longer. For me, it's all about planning. If I know I have a couple things to snack on throughout the day, then I'm ok when I feel a little hungry. Even just a couple of animal crackers and a big glass of water is enough to get me through. I do weigh out and track these snacks in the morning though. That way I won't forget what I've had and accidentally overeat.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I felt like that when I first started. The first thing I did was reduce my expectations and changed my weight loss goal to 0.5lb a week once I got within 14lbs of my target.

The other thing that changed for me was my choice of foods. When I started I loved the idea of eating whatever you want. I have gradually learned what foods are worth the calories and what aren't. I'll happily 'spend'172 calories on an almond finger but have stopped using cows milk and replaced it with almond milk as that saves me about 200 calories a day. I stopped having eggs on toast and starting having porridge. I started eating more soup, low calories crisps and thinner cut wholemeal bread. I often use salad cream instead of butter in a sandwich and mostly drink water. I suck boiled sweets to stop me snacking between meals. There are lots of ways for you to fill your belly for fewer calories than you previously had, while still eating the same volume.

My point is, after a while, you learn which foods will fill you up and stop that hungry feeling without going over your calorie goals. I'm sure others have similar tips
  • angelan630
    angelan630 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Two months ago, I upped my protein, veggies, and exercise, and decreased simple carbs, and have only been slightly hungry right before a meal. I have consistently lost a pound a week.

If you are already eating lots of foods that will enhance fullness, are you drinking enough water? The body's signal for thirst is sometimes misinterpreted as hunger.

I drink 2 liters of water a day and sometimes more.
  • angelan630
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far for the great advice. I'm making a list of the foods you've mentioned.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    angelan630 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I drink 2 liters of water a day and sometimes more.

Ok, what about fullness-enhancing foods?

ETA, never mind, you're working on it :)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Does the hunger go away after a while, and if so, when? I'm obeying the calories deficit for how much I want to lose (15 lbs over the course of 15 weeks) and taking back around 200 to make sure it's accurate, as I've seen some of you say. I also do cardio and a little strength every day. It's not painful hunger, it's kind of uncomfortable and distracting.

It never did for me. If I was awake, I was hungry. I'm a volume eater and based my eating around lots of protein and foods that gave me a good deal of volume for their calories.

I've been in maintenance for a couple of months and have noticed my hunger has *finally* calmed down. It does sometimes roar back into life after a heavy lifting session.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

So you're holding back 200 calories just to make sure you're accurate? Why not just actually be accurate? You could be eating 200 calories more and still losing at the rate you want, if you're doing it right.

Anyway, it can go away. I eat high volume so it's never been much of a problem. My dinner does not even fit in a regular sized bowl, I have to use the fruit bowl on the table. It's only about 400 calories though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    More fats and proteins keep you sated longer.
  • angelan630
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So you're holding back 200 calories just to make sure you're accurate? Why not just actually be accurate? You could be eating 200 calories more and still losing at the rate you want, if you're doing it right.

Anyway, it can go away. I eat high volume so it's never been much of a problem. My dinner does not even fit in a regular sized bowl, I have to use the fruit bowl on the table. It's only about 400 calories though.

Please tell me what this giant 400 calorie dinner is, you have me intrigued! :smiley: I've been sold on getting a kitchen scale so I can be more accurate, but are there other ways to be sure you're accurately counting?
  • arditarose
    edited June 2015
    Options

Please tell me what this giant 400 calorie dinner is, you have me intrigued! :smiley: I've been sold on getting a kitchen scale so I can be more accurate, but are there other ways to be sure you're accurately counting?

The kitchen scale is number one. Also choosing the right entries from the database, and not using the generic with the asterisks.

This dinner can be 400 or just under:
    150 grams of zucchini, 150 grams of squash, sautéed with 25 grams of onion, 50 grams of tomato, 50 grams of mushroom, and cholula chipotle sauce-no oil. Add garlic toward the end. I mixed this with 6 ounces of the leanest ground turkey. When it's done I toss in a laughing cow cheese that creates a creamy sauce with the chipotle sauce I used. This version might actually be around 375. You can mess with the amounts, add 60-120 grams of black beans, spinach, etc.

I have a similar version of it logged already for tonight except it's 484 because I used avocado and black beans. I also used taco seasoning instead of the cholula.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Today is the first day in two weeks where I have not been feeling hungry, hope it continues :)
  • angelan630
    Options

The kitchen scale is number one. Also choosing the right entries from the database, and not using the generic with the asterisks.

150 grams of zucchini, 150 grams of squash, sautéed with 25 grams of onion, 50 grams of tomato, 50 grams of mushroom, and cholula chipotle sauce-no oil. Add garlic toward the end. I mixed this with 6 ounces of the leanest ground turkey. When it's done I toss in a laughing cow cheese that creates a creamy sauce with the chipotle sauce I used. This version might actually be around 375. You can mess with the amounts, add 60-120 grams of black beans, spinach, etc.

I have a similar version of it logged already for tonight except it's 484 because I used avocado and black beans. I also used taco seasoning instead of the cholula.

Sounds delicious. Thank you!
  • arditarose
    Options

Sounds delicious. Thank you!

It's good. It tastes like hamburger helper except with turkey...and zucchini.
  • jf3334
    jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

How do you know the "right" food in the database (other than avoiding generic, as you just mentioned)? For instance, I just tried to log 200g of red potatoes, and depending on what I chose from the database, it was either 135 or 178. Any tips for picking the right entry when there are many?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jf3334 wrote: »

How do you know the "right" food in the database (other than avoiding generic, as you just mentioned)? For instance, I just tried to log 200g of red potatoes, and depending on what I chose from the database, it was either 135 or 178. Any tips for picking the right entry when there are many?

look for the ones that have been verified by multiple users….

OR

you can cross check it against self.nutrient.com…

OR

look for the USDA entries as those are the most accurate...