Injury: how to stay in shape?

Options
So today, I was at a friends soccer game and one of the guys stepped on me with their cleat by accident. the cut went a couple cm deep and i got 5 stitches, and my mom wont let me do like any exercise for a while :s What can i do to stay in shape?!?

Replies

• pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Accept that you have an injury, rest so that is heals quickly and once you are better get back to it! Don't stress, you'll be back to exercise soon enough!
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    eat healthy. and if the bottom is broke, work out the top.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    sheltol wrote: »

This. Also have access to a pool? If you're allowed in the water it's a good no impact way to get some movement. If not, stick to upper body and WATCH YOUR CALORIES!!! Especially if you're normally active. Injury won't make you gain, but eating bc you're stuck home sure will.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Stay off your feet. Seriously. I had a soft tissue injury to my foot once that took a very long time to heal!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

This. Also have access to a pool? If you're allowed in the water it's a good no impact way to get some movement. If not, stick to upper body and WATCH YOUR CALORIES!!! Especially if you're normally active. Injury won't make you gain, but eating bc you're stuck home sure will.

I wouldn't get in a pool with stitches.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Your mom won't let you? What did the doctor say?

Whoever did you stitches should have given you discharge instructions which detail care. If you didn't get discharge instructions, call and ask what you should do.

I would suspect that you shouldn't go in the pool for a week or two and that you might want to rest/elevate for a while...but this shouldn't keep you from exercising for very long.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by, "my mom wont let me do like any exercise for a while?"

If you're an adult - as you're supposed to be, to be here, and as your profile states - you can make your own decisions. And, yeah, upper body work.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I wouldn't get in a pool with stitches.

Agreed, hence the "if you're allowed" I was thinking more once stitches are out but she is still limited by whatever injury she has
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I injured my heel and arch and couldn't run for 3 weeks. Went on exercise bike and elliptical, same number of minutes as normal running sessions and also did some manageable HIIT on it. Lost further 3 kg.

Since you have stitches maybe you ought to stick to the exercise bike on moderate but please CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST before continuing ANY exercise program, adapted or not.
  • wuaname
    wuaname Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not so bad. Just work out at the gym in the interim.