Davi and Cia machine - body fat?

Options
webuiltthisnicky
webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I just used this machine and I'm having real trouble getting it to measure body fat. It told me that my bmi is 28.2 - just slightly overweight, was which I expected. However, the first time I asked it to read my body fat it didn't ask my age + sex, and the second time it asked me those things halfway through me gripping the handles and printed a body fat reading of 38.5%. Like... I know I am not thin but apparently that percentage means you're basically morbidly obese? Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had an issue using this machine?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound very accurate.
  • webuiltthisnicky
    Options
    It doesn't does it? I don't get what I'm doing wrong with this machine!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    My old trainer has used that and i dont think it was very accurate anyway. So what he did was use that information paired with other information, like using calipers, and then made an average. So basically we used the numbers as a guide but understood that it was just an estimate and not exact. I thought to myself,In the grand scheme of things, what does it really matter what number the machine is telling you ? Because seeing actual results in the mirror was better proof for me that i was on the right track so it really didn't matter very much what a machine said .
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It doesn't does it? I don't get what I'm doing wrong with this machine!

In general the machines are crap anyway so I wouldn't sweat it

The figure it gives can be out by 7-10%

It's a bad way to measure body fat ...if you really want to know go for a dexa scan or body pod ...or use the figure you get to track trends over months :)
  • webuiltthisnicky
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm thinking that yeah it doesn't seem to be the best way to track my progress. I'm weird and need to actually find something to track because I'm the type of person who will always look in the mirror and see fat. Weighing won't work because I've started resistance training on top of cardiovascular. BMI is meant to be kind of rubbish. Might just go with inches?