heart rate monitor's

Options
Do they constantly measure your heart rate? Do u have too get chest strap? which ones are good and are there different settings for like running walking swimming insanity and do you have to have a nap or can you just check it all from the monitor

Replies

• brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    HRM are for higher heart rate of steady cardio not napping or walking. The ones with chest straps are better though I really frown on people buying them because they are just a way of guessing the calorie burns. If your running or swimming there are formulas to which can figure the calorie burned just the same.

If you really are set on them the POLAR7 is one that gets some good reviews from the users.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What exactly are you looking at? From the questions your asking, I would guess an activity tracker of some sort.

A basic HRM is going to track your HR and that's it. Some come with chest straps and some don't. Some are waterproof/can track during swimming and other's can't. Typically (outside of medical reasons), I see people (and I did myself for a bit) use them to get a better estimate of their calorie burns during cardio exercise.
  • Kristyann624
    Kristyann624 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F-7. It measures constantly. It gives feedback to my watch I wear while working out. I don't change anything whether cross training or running. I think autocorrect changed "app." I don't have an app it syncs to. My watch will store 99 workouts. I just enter them once I'm done.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use the Polar V800, has a profile setting for most exercises, even walking, you have to use a chest strap. The Polar A300 or M400 are good choices if you desire sport profile, the loop is good as just an activity monitor, with the H7 sensor, they are water proof to 90ft. And work great with most cardio equipment. I only monitor my heart rate when I'm doing any kind of exercise, even cutting the grass. you can also sync any of them to the polar flow app for computers, android or Iphone, which then syncs them to my fitness, you don't have to enter your exercise manually. .
  • brockbennett1981
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    HRM are for higher heart rate of steady cardio not napping or walking. The ones with chest straps are better though I really frown on people buying them because they are just a way of guessing the calorie burns. If your running or swimming there are formulas to which can figure the calorie burned just the same.

If you really are set on them the POLAR7 is one that gets some good reviews from the users.

Where can i find these formulas
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F-7. It measures constantly. It gives feedback to my watch I wear while working out. I don't change anything whether cross training or running. I think autocorrect changed "app." I don't have an app it syncs to. My watch will store 99 workouts. I just enter them once I'm done.

This is the one that I have as well and like it a lot. I think it is pretty accurate for my steady state cardio burns, not so much for my HIIT workouts. The chest strap is very comfortable and most times I don't even realize that I'm wearing it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Running or swimming sites. Even LIVESTRONG.com. I don't remember the swimming one though I know its close to 10 cal per lap depending on the type of swimming.

Running for a male on close to no hills was something like M(distance in miles) X B(body weight) X .64(or something very close)

So lets say I run a 5k one day on pretty close to flat ground.

3.1m X 220(lbs) X .64= 436 cals burned.

You would have to check but I believe if your walking its around .34 instead of .64

• brockbennett1981
    Options
    T

Running or swimming sites. Even LIVESTRONG.com. I don't remember the swimming one though I know its close to 10 cal per lap depending on the type of swimming.

Running for a male on close to no hills was something like M(distance in miles) X B(body weight) X .64(or something very close)

So lets say I run a 5k one day on pretty close to flat ground.

3.1m X 220(lbs) X .64= 436 cals burned.

You would have to check but I believe if your walking its around .34 instead of .64

Anks alot
  • balcantara90
    balcantara90 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a sports watch that has the following features:
    • Chest-strap style heart rate monitor
    • Syncs with myFitnessPal via bluetooth to the phone

I've grown fond of my Polar FT7 watch but it doesn't have an autonomous syncing functionality.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I've grown fond of my Polar FT7 watch but it doesn't have an autonomous syncing functionality.

I think some of the Garmin HRM's would fit those requirements.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    DC Rainmaker has an excellent blog/review site with everything anyone ever needed to know about heart rate monitors, etc.

I've used Polar, Suunto, Garmin, Timex, and a few others. I'd recommend any of those named.

As far as chest strap requirements, Garmin just introduced a strapless watch, TomTom has some of the best non-strap heart rate technology, and a couple companies have third-party arm/wrist straps that work with many brands of heart rate monitors. Scosche is one. I bought a Scosche arm strap for my husband. I currently use a Polar strap with Garmin Heart Rate sensor plugged into it and Garmin Epix watch--The Polar strap is so much more comfortable and there's less missed/erroneous beats.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Bump

A 10 minute bump? Dang, you're eager to find out!
  • jjenf1950
    jjenf1950 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do they constantly measure your heart rate? Do u have too get chest strap? which ones are good and are there different settings for like running walking swimming insanity and do you have to have a nap or can you just check it all from the monitor
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Bump

A 10 minute bump? Dang, you're eager to find out!

• jjenf1950
    jjenf1950 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and want to purchase one of the wrist activity bands. I do one 60 minute session of cardio fit and the rest daily walks. Any advise one which device would be suitable please. I have been looking at Fitbit flex, charge and charge hr. Thx Jen.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

Garmin 620 among others.

• ScubaSteve1962
    Options

jjenf1950 wrote: »
    I am new to MFP and want to purchase one of the wrist activity bands. I do one 60 minute session of cardio fit and the rest daily walks. Any advise one which device would be suitable please. I have been looking at Fitbit flex, charge and charge hr. Thx Jen.

The Polar Loop, A300, M400 or V800 with H7 chest strap are all great choices.

• mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts..... the 3 polar HR watches I have purchased - the chest strap battery could be replaced easily. The watch must be shipped back to the manufacturer at a cost of $40. The timex HR watch/strap the battery in both can be easily replaced. However the mechanical part of the strap snaps into the actual band. The watch arrived from amazon & the snaps simply did NOT line up with the mechanical piece. Also - look at the watch strap - most can not be replaced.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    mom216 wrote: »
    Just a couple of thoughts..... the 3 polar HR watches I have purchased - the chest strap battery could be replaced easily. The watch must be shipped back to the manufacturer at a cost of $40. The timex HR watch/strap the battery in both can be easily replaced. However the mechanical part of the strap snaps into the actual band. The watch arrived from amazon & the snaps simply did NOT line up with the mechanical piece. Also - look at the watch strap - most can not be replaced.

Which watches did you buy? I used the the FT80 and replaced both watch and sensor batteries myself. The Loop, A300, M400, and V800 are rechargeable.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Vivosmart. The band acts as an all day movement tracker and can pair a chest strap HRM when I work out. It syncs via bluetooth to my phone which then syncs with MFP. Works very well.