Need help?

Options
Hey I'm 21 and have been struggling to lose weight! Any suggestions on what I should be eating and at what times etc? Any help would be nice

Replies

• bcschulz
    bcschulz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Try vegetarian. There are recipes on the web. I've done it and lost 40 lbs in 62 days.
  • RachelWatson93
    RachelWatson93 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bcschulz wrote: »
    Try vegetarian. There are recipes on the web. I've done it and lost 40 lbs in 62 days.

That's amazing well done! Shall look it to it thanks
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in verse calories out! The time you eat doesn't matter. Set your goals and stay within your limits, and you'll do great! :) Good Luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 21 and have been struggling to lose weight! Any suggestions on what I should be eating and at what times etc? Any help would be nice

If you're struggling to lose weight, you are eating too many calories. Are you accurately weighing, measuring and logging absolute everything you eat? Use a food scale for solid foods. Liquids can be weighed or measured. If you're exercising, are you overestimating the calories burnt, and eating too many back?

Food choices aren't necessarily important for weight loss, but for good health, make nutrient dense choices most of the time. Eat sufficient protein and fat, then fill the rest of your calorie goal with carbs. Timing, number and size of meals is irrelevant
  • RachelWatson93
    Options

If you're struggling to lose weight, you are eating too many calories. Are you accurately weighing, measuring and logging absolute everything you eat? Use a food scale for solid foods. Liquids can be weighed or measured. If you're exercising, are you overestimating the calories burnt, and eating too many back?

Food choices aren't necessarily important for weight loss, but for good health, make nutrient dense choices most of the time. Eat sufficient protein and fat, then fill the rest of your calorie goal with carbs. Timing, number and size of meals is irrelevant

I'm a little confused with the whole calories burnt bit, if I exercise and only burn say maybe like 400kcals am I only allowed to eat 400 kcals that day or am I being completely blonde here lol? That's probs where I've gone wrong because I don't really measure my food out at all, and I've now just started using this app to count my calories today:)
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm a little confused with the whole calories burnt bit, if I exercise and only burn say maybe like 400kcals am I only allowed to eat 400 kcals that day or am I being completely blonde here lol? That's probs where I've gone wrong because I don't really measure my food out at all, and I've now just started using this app to count my calories today:)
    Well, to start, what calories limits are you setting for yourself? For example, mine is 1200 a day.

Say I exercised and burned ~250 calories by going out and jogging for a while. That day, I could eat 1450 calories and 'hit my goal' still.

EDIT:
    Also, what the guy said up top about going vegetarian... I did that too, just for the diet. I've lost a good amount of weight fairly quickly, but only because I'm eating HEALTHY as a vegetarian. Still gotta be careful on fried foods/calorie bombs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

A bit blonde, perhaps :tongue:

Your body needs energy just to function - your bmr is what you need just to survive if you lay in bed all day doing nothing. MFP doesn't include exercise, so whatever exercise you do on top of the calories you're given to lose weight needs to be added on (although calorie counts for exercise seem to be overinflated and most people don't eat back all of them from my understanding)

Measuring food is important so you know what's going in. If you don't measure, count and log you really have no idea!
  • RachelWatson93
    Options

Your body needs energy just to function - your bmr is what you need just to survive if you lay in bed all day doing nothing. MFP doesn't include exercise, so whatever exercise you do on top of the calories you're given to lose weight needs to be added on (although calorie counts for exercise seem to be overinflated and most people don't eat back all of them from my understanding)

Measuring food is important so you know what's going in. If you don't measure, count and log you really have no idea!
    Ohh I see now! So my BMi says I'm allowed 1900 calories a day, if I exercise and burn 500 kcals I have to add it on to my total so I would be allowed 2400 kcals that day? Is that right lol? I'll get there in the end I promise hehe!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Ohh I see now! So my BMi says I'm allowed 1900 calories a day, if I exercise and burn 500 kcals I have to add it on to my total so I would be allowed 2400 kcals that day? Is that right lol? I'll get there in the end I promise hehe!

1900 cals is likely what you need to live plus your normal every day moving around. So if you do no extra exercise, this is what you eat. If you do your exercise, add it on top like you said... Make sure you don't overestimate this or you could be negating your hard work! Machines and MFP give inflated readings so don't rely on them for your exercise calories!

(pretty sure MFP doesn't give you BMR... To be honest I use my own numbers and haven't used the MFP method! BMR is what you'd need just lying in bed - probably 1400ish)
  • RachelWatson93
    Options
    Ok thanks for being such a big help
  • salaita1968
    salaita1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    try the Ideal Protein Diet you can lose average four pounds a week I'm on the Ideal for 2 weeks and I lost 16 pound and tomorrow will be my third week I'm hoping to lose another 5 lb
  • RachelWatson93
    Options
    try the Ideal Protein Diet you can lose average four pounds a week I'm on the Ideal for 2 weeks and I lost 16 pound and tomorrow will be my third week I'm hoping to lose another 5 lb
    Where can I find that diet plz? Is it on the Internet? That's amazing well done! Keep at it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Where can I find that diet plz? Is it on the Internet? That's amazing well done! Keep at it

Why is it amazing? Rapid weight loss happens from doing something extreme, that is likely restrictive and unsustainable. You don't need a "diet" to lose weight. You just need to count calories and be in a deficit (but not a massive deficit...)

I had no idea what the "ideal protein" diet was, but googling shows that it is restrictive in food choices and calories....
    You may lose weight rapidly, but are you going to keep it off? The real success of a method is in the maintenance once you've reached your goal.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Sorry but before you rush off into doing any deit id suggest you need to take some time eductaing yourself about how weight loss works. Wjat you wnat is soemthing thats safe and you can stick to. Safe weight loss is considered to be 1-2lb a week depending on how much you have to lose.

You will lose weight if you are at a consistent calorific deficit. In terms of weight loss it doesnt matter what you eat. In terms of nutrition, then it will, so your aim is to find a balance bweteen being able to manage a deficit and making sure it gives youthe nutrition you need.

Start by looking at the first post on this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • mshanepace
    mshanepace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Only thing I'll add is, get educated on nutrition. There are a lot of good books on the topic. I'm a big believer in what I call a modified low carb diet. The problem is DIET Plans just mess up your body. It's about life style.

Me, not a vegetarian and don't believe it's the right way to eat. My person belief is it causes the person to become skinny fat. Can it be done and not cause that, seen it done, but I think it is far more difficult to do. Lose weight, yes, being more healthy.... Don't know. Watch the documentary film called Fathead on YouTube. It'll give you some of the basics on where our public beliefs came from. Very educational. Anyway... As I said before, educate yourself and kind of work into what you believe on diet.

Final note, I'd be more worried about fitness than weight.

My two cents
  • RachelWatson93
    Options
    Thanks all of you for advice
  • ATLfalconsATL2
    ATLfalconsATL2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Add me maybe I can help ya!
  • RachelWatson93
    Options