What is your favorite protein powder and why?

Options
krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
Hey all. Im looking for a great tasting low calorie (under 100 calories) high protein powder. Just curious as to what all of you are using. Thanks for the input.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like products from Optimum Nutrition and Body Nutrition (Trutein) because I like their taste, but based on their protein content, they will all be a little higher than 100 calories for 1 suggested serving. The only one I have seen coming closer to 100 calories with equivalent protein amount as the two I offered, was from Syntrax for their whey isolate. But we may differ in opinion on how much protein is "high protein".
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You could look at Isopure. I'm not sure of their taste, but the serving size is 220 calories for 50g of protein. You could just halve that, which nets about 110 for 25g of protein.

Haven't tried it, but it's worth looking in to.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whey iso burst from gnc. I like it because it's low carb (only 1g), low calories (85), and a good amount of protein (20g). It also tastes great and mixes better than any other protein powder I've tried. I usually have 2 scoops a day giving me 40g of protein without taking up too many of my calories
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like the Paleo Pro Plain Naked protein powder because it is just beef and egg protein. 25g protein/serving at 125 cals.

If the cals are very important you could reduce the serving size.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey in French Vanilla flavor. I like it because it doesn't have artificial sugars like most do, and I try and keep away from things that are common migraine triggers (I don't know my triggers yet, so I err on the side of caution).

I'd tried one other one before I found a small can of the Designer Whey on clearance at the store. After my first experience I was pretty skeptical of protein powder. It was really good though, good enough that I've now purchased two 4-lb tubs of it. The chocolate is not tasty though. I want to get the plain one and use it for baking at some point in time as well.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold in the Rocky Road flavor. About 120 calories per serving. I use the Rocky Road flavor. Good amount of protein, taste good and a reasonable price.
  • cbunbaker
    cbunbaker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Dr.Oz recommends pea protein powder. One level scoop is 120 calories. No sugar, 24 grams protein. I got the unflavored, and there is a long list of amino acids, and other good for you ing. I am putting it in my green smoothies. It helps keep you full longer, and I haven't had any tummy upsets or anything using it. I get mine from www.puritanspride.com. They run good specials periodically, like bogo.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're looking for, the higher protein content of a whey isolate, or the greater health benefits from a concentrate. Isolate will have less cals from fats/carbs but will be less bioactive with less health benefits. Generally speaking most proteins come in at 100-130 cals per scoop. I'd suggest ON or UN ISO 93 for a good protein content without a high fat cals. Stay away from syntha 6 which is just under 50% protein per 42g ish scoup. Try out bodybuilding.com or hit up a popeyes or gnc and ask if they have any low cal proteins.
  • slikorify
    slikorify Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Most good protein powders will be around 23-26g of protein for about 110-130 calories per serving. I use ON Gold Standard Rocky Road flavour, same as somebody else before said. To be honest I'd just say get any decent brand that has low sugar, if you want it to be less than 100 calories then have less than a scoop, since any with less than 100 calories are going to be lower in protein, so that works out the same as just having a smaller scoop of a higher protein one
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Genepro. 98 cals, 30g protein. A lot of whey hurts my stomach and this seems to work.
  • sapelch
    sapelch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Isalean...I prefer the vanilla or strawberry over the chocolate.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    PES Select Snickerdoodle. 110 Calories and it's the best tasting protein powder I've tried.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Optium Whey. The reasons:
    • Reasonable prices.
    • Taste nie with water or milk + banana.
    • Mixed up great.
    • Approx 100 cal. and 30 grams of protein.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    mordant57 wrote: »
    Genepro. 98 cals, 30g protein. A lot of whey hurts my stomach and this seems to work.

How is that possible? 30g of protein x 4 calories per gram of protein = 120 calories, assuming there is 0 carbs and 0 fat.
  • jscott2011
    jscott2011 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started using Vega French Vanilla. I can actually say that it tastes good.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    EAS is good

Optimum Nutrition is good

MetRX is good

I just started using Dymatize (their casein) and it seems solid as well

heard decent things about Isopure
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Vega One any flavor. I love the fact it's plant based.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    ON Gold standard whey protein

I buy the big 3.5 or so pound jug off Amazon

It is the stuff I put in a zip lock bag when running late and can't pack a full lunch or breakfast

Not bad tasting

I tried Isopure and OMG it was just horrid, gave it away to a friend at the gym that loved it... I always knew that girl had something wrong with her...
  • juliaschulz510
    juliaschulz510 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been using Impact Whey Protein by myprotein for about 3 weeks now. I'm a bit fussy about artificial flavours and shakes in general so I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to drink them on a regular basis. I picked stracciatella flavour because it sounded like a safe enough option and I was really surprised how nice it tastes (especially when I get to have it with milk once in a while). I even ordered another bag of it the other day.