Oh god damn this is frustrating. I feel like going off diet!

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my 10,000 steps every single day this week and not eaten above my 1800 calories a day. Religiously. And what happens? Weight goes up weight goes down. But really, mathematically, I should be 3 lbs lighter than the scale is showing! Ahhh!

I was excited to be 227 before my little road trip today but now after not seeing it I'm about to say "screw it. I'll go on a counting break for the 2 days I'm gone". Talk me out of it! Quick!

Are you double counting your exercise calories? For example, are you at a setting other than Sedentary AND counting your steps?
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my 10,000 steps every single day this week and not eaten above my 1800 calories a day. Religiously. And what happens? Weight goes up weight goes down. But really, mathematically, I should be 3 lbs lighter than the scale is showing! Ahhh!

I was excited to be 227 before my little road trip today but now after not seeing it I'm about to say "screw it. I'll go on a counting break for the 2 days I'm gone". Talk me out of it! Quick!

Just curious but is the 10,000 steps you're doing now more than your activity level before you started trying to lose weight? The 10,000 step goal normally marketed is for people not getting a lot of exercise during the day (desk jobs etc) - if you were already moving a lot you may need to set your step goal higher to get the benefits
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    What good does giving up do? It takes time to gain weight; it takes time to lose weight.
  • inafog
    inafog Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What's the point of cussing about it, there's a better way to express yourself.

Patience is the key to losing weight, as of today I've lost 47 pounds and it's taken me about 10 months to do this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walk away from the scale.
  • Mojorisen1
    Mojorisen1 Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's a thought - what if you allowed yourself to 'go off' your diet for two days by a few hundred calories a day, BUT continued to track your food? That way you give yourself a break but keep the good behavior of tracking your food going. And if you only eat enough to maintain but not to gain, it might trick your metabolism into allowing you to lose some more weight.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is a minimum. That is the absolute floor and you should be getting that many even if you aren't doing a workout on a particular day.

Move more.
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for almost a year. There have been many times that I have felt discouraged and wanted to give up. But I just keep on plugging away at it and I have lost 90+ pounds. You have to expect that at times the scale will stay the same or even go up, but don't give up. I have had weeks at a time where the scale has stayed the same or gone up and the had days in a row of losses. Like everyone said, weight loss is not linear.

Also, as you lose weight you will need to lower your calories a bit to maintain the same rate of loss. That is something I wish I had done sooner. And make sure you are weighing your food and that the entries you are using are accurate. There are many database entries that are incorrect.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said-weight loss isn't linear and the scale will also reflect non-weight related things, like water retention due to exercise, sodium intake etc. I'm in maintenance and I have a 5lb maintenance window, because my weight normally fluctuates that much throughout the month, that has nothing to do with actual weight loss/gain.

Focus on your first weigh in of the month, and then compare that with your last weigh in of the month. That will give you a more accurate picture of what's actually going on.
  • jgroark1222
    jgroark1222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your stress hormone (cortisol) can cause weight gain... Try not stressing over no weight loss. I have gones a weeks without a loss and then one day the scales drops 3-5 pds. Continue counting and use your scale. It will come off!
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Any rise in the scale numbers we tend to always assume is a fat gain,

In reality, fat is lost and gained at relatively slowly. For people on the leaner side(for heavier folks 2-3lbs is excessive) a half to 1 pound per week change in fat(Up or Down) will be all you can get.

To gain 1-3 pounds of actual fat would mean you've consumed 3500-10,000kcals over what you've burned during the week, which means approx 500-1500kcals over per day.

While it is possible to eat that much, it’s extremely unlikely if on any sort of "diet". It’s even less likely that you're eating that much EVERY day.

So a dramatic swing in weight on the scales in a few days must be something else.
    - Muscle? unlikely as like fat its gained and lost relatively slowly.

- A full stomach? this can be partly to blame as a full hearty dinner definitely will temporarily add to the scale weight. Test it yourself, weigh yourself then gulp down 2 litres of water instant over 4lbs gain! :)

-Carbs? can also affect scale weight as they are stored as glycogen and bring with them 3 x their weight in water as part of their processes

-Sodium, creatine and Stress levels also cause your body to retain water thus meaning the change in scale weight can be drastic in just a few days, when all that is taken into account, your scale weight can vary by potentially as much as 10lbs!

So while checking your weight can be important it is by no means the full story.

Record your body measurements before starting a diet or take average weight numbers across a week to get a clearer picture of your overall progress.

Dont lose motivation over a pound or 2 fluctuation

Terry :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I use a fitness tracker to monitor all my steps calories burned, etc. 10,000 steps, even 15,000 steps makes very little difference in my caloric allotment. I am smaller than you and female, but it's exercise that makes the difference (not only in calories burned, but after the workout for weight training and HIIT training). I go for the steps on those 16-hour work days where I don't have a ghost of a chance of working out.

Weight-loss is a marathon, not a sprint. You really do need to be patient as weight can fluctuate several pounds day-by-day. If the weight variance bothers you, trying weighing a little less often. Also, you can take measurements as you can lose inches when not losing pounds.

You have to hang in there--you'll be glad you did! :smiley:
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Any rise in the scale numbers we tend to always assume is a fat gain,

In reality, fat is lost and gained at relatively slowly. For people on the leaner side(for heavier folks 2-3lbs is excessive) a half to 1 pound per week change in fat(Up or Down) will be all you can get.

To gain 1-3 pounds of actual fat would mean you've consumed 3500-10,000kcals over what you've burned during the week, which means approx 500-1500kcals over per day.

While it is possible to eat that much, it’s extremely unlikely if on any sort of "diet". It’s even less likely that you're eating that much EVERY day.

So a dramatic swing in weight on the scales in a few days must be something else.
    - Muscle? unlikely as like fat its gained and lost relatively slowly.

- A full stomach? this can be partly to blame as a full hearty dinner definitely will temporarily add to the scale weight. Test it yourself, weigh yourself then gulp down 2 litres of water instant over 4lbs gain! :)

-Carbs? can also affect scale weight as they are stored as glycogen and bring with them 3 x their weight in water as part of their processes

-Sodium, creatine and Stress levels also cause your body to retain water thus meaning the change in scale weight can be drastic in just a few days, when all that is taken into account, your scale weight can vary by potentially as much as 10lbs!

So while checking your weight can be important it is by no means the full story.

Record your body measurements before starting a diet or take average weight numbers across a week to get a clearer picture of your overall progress.

Dont lose motivation over a pound or 2 fluctuation

Terry :)

Well I wanted to say something about being in the same situation but this post just blew me away. Sometimes deep down you know but only the right wording makes you realise and see.

Thank you DangerousDUCK. Well that definitely helped me a lot.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Mojorisen1 wrote: »
    Here's a thought - what if you allowed yourself to 'go off' your diet for two days by a few hundred calories a day, BUT continued to track your food? That way you give yourself a break but keep the good behavior of tracking your food going. And if you only eat enough to maintain but not to gain, it might trick your metabolism into allowing you to lose some more weight.

That's not how it works. Honestly. Your metabolism can't be 'tricked' into anything. ;)
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    eDonatti wrote: »

Well I wanted to say something about being in the same situation but this post just blew me away. Sometimes deep down you know but only the right wording makes you realise and see.

Thank you DangerousDUCK. Well that definitely helped me a lot.

No problem glad if I helped :)