High Protein / Lower Fat ideas?

Options
Hey everyone! I am trying to add more protein to my diet since my % of calories for protein always seems to be at a large deficit. When I search for recipes, however, almost everything that comes up for high protein seems to be low-carb instead of low-fat. I know fat isn't exactly the enemy, but in my diet, I feel I get the right amount of carbs and am always too high on fat and too low on protein.

Other than just eating a hunk of lean meat, what are some good lunch/dinners that are relatively low-fat, but high in protein? I have some nut/fish allergies, but otherwise I am not too picky!

Replies

• ChuckeeCheezit
    ChuckeeCheezit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    amispade wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I am trying to add more protein to my diet since my % of calories for protein always seems to be at a large deficit. When I search for recipes, however, almost everything that comes up for high protein seems to be low-carb instead of low-fat. I know fat isn't exactly the enemy, but in my diet, I feel I get the right amount of carbs and am always too high on fat and too low on protein.

Other than just eating a hunk of lean meat, what are some good lunch/dinners that are relatively low-fat, but high in protein? I have some nut/fish allergies, but otherwise I am not too picky!

calf liver is very lean. have it with sauteed onions on top and peas.

split pea soup or lentil soup is low fat high protein too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Kale, Quinoa, and Bean soup.
  • sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Legumes, Greek yogurt, eggs/whites, almonds/cashews, nut butters, spinach, kale, quinoa, veggie protein powder/soy milk smoothies with spinach/kale/unsweetened cocoa and blueberries. Go for less processed cuz if it's labeled high protein low fat low carb it's likely not a whole food!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can look through my diary. My protein is high, and my fat is actually TOO low. I'm working on that. There's lots of 0% greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, vegetables, quest bars, very lean ground turkey.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lean cuts of meat are the most obvious

Egg white omelettes or egg bakes. You can even add diced lean chicken or ham and have tons of protein for pretty low calories and minimal fat. I used to make them in muffin tins as part of my meal prep. Egg whites, lean meat, veggies and a sprinkle of cheese. Yum!

Fat free Greek yogurt and/or fat free cottage cheese. Smoothie made from Greek yogurt and protein powder can easily give you over 30g protein and just 1 or 2 grams fat for 200 calories.

"Protein pancakes" are a fun option. There are recipes using egg whites, (fat free for you) cottage cheese and rolled oats. They come out surprisingly tasty (I'm not a fan of the ones made with protein powder). If I remember correctly you can get 30g protein for 300 calories, very low fat and it's basically a dessert! Top with Greek yogurt for even more protein.

Wow. And now I just want to cook!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein is my go-to.
  • amispade
    amispade Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions ! Seems like most responses indicate it is easier to accomplish with snacks and breakfast (Greek yogurt, egg whites, etc..) than traditional meals. We do eat mostly chicken and ground turkey, but that gets boring after a while, lol.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    amispade wrote: »
    Thank you for all the suggestions ! Seems like most responses indicate it is easier to accomplish with snacks and breakfast (Greek yogurt, egg whites, etc..) than traditional meals. We do eat mostly chicken and ground turkey, but that gets boring after a while, lol.

Lean pork tenderloin, some cuts of beef and lean ground beef are as low fat as chicken or turkey (or, at least, very close to it). I switched from ground turkey to ground beef (97 or 93 for both) and it did amazing things for the taste buds!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I prefer Greek yogurt with fat myself. Also I eat the whole egg. These fats are not enemies.

Wild salmon burgers are handy and good for you. Fish of any sort mixes things up. Canned sockeye or tuna are easy to store alternatives.

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Beans are high in protein and low in fat.....so bean burritos....bean burgers....bean soup....lentil curry...chili....silken tofu fruit smoothies.....etc
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Rabbit.