What's the ideal BF% for showing abs?

Options
pumpkinpocalypse
pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've heard a lot that before you can dream of seeing some muscle definition on the stomach area, aka abs, baby abs or whatever, you need to have quite a low bodyfat percentage to start from...and then you add working out on top of that.
I'd like to put an end to my flat, soft and kinda floppy stomach and grow some more muscle in the area. My BF% is 18,7%, and i'm already at my goal weight...slowly transitioning to eating at my maintenance calories. I already do poledancing as a strength training workout, which has worked pretty well so far in building a bit of muscle, but I'll try working harder and finding new ways to lift weights and stuff eventually.
So my question is, should I aim for a lower BF% in order to have abs that can be seen, or get a special amount of protein, do a special program...? Or will they just appear slooowly with time as I continue with my routine?

Replies

• ftumsh3
    ftumsh3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lower bf. There is no special protein or routine for abs.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how large your ab muscles are. Individuals with pronounced muscles won't need to have as low a body fat as someone that doesn't have much muscle to start.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Mostly what holly said. Also, it depends on how/where you store your fat. If you tend to store body fat in your abdomen, you'll probably have to have lower BF%. If you tend to store body fat in your booty and/or legs (or somewhere other than abdomen), you may get away with a higher BF% to show abs.

How, exactly, did you come to the conclusion that you have 18.7% BF? Because that's typically where women show abs. If it were from a bioelectric impedance BF analyzer, those aren't particularly accurate - so you probably aren't 18.7%.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    How, exactly, did you come to the conclusion that you have 18.7% BF? Because that's typically where women show abs. If it were from a bioelectric impedance BF analyzer, those aren't particularly accurate - so you probably aren't 18.7%.

I actually used this tool https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator
    and took my measurements around mid-day so i wasn't thinner just because of dehydration (for more accuracy).
    I mean, it's not because women can have showing abs at that BF% that ALL women who are at that percentage necessarily have abs, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure you have to work them quite a lot as well...i dunno, I've heard that 6-packs/abs are so hard to achieve (a mix of diet, BF%, and of course a ton of working out)...anyway, to me, that % seems still quite accurate, as i'm pretty thin and small framed. My belly just is too stubborn to be firm :s
  • TR0berts
    Options
    That website gives me a BF% of 14.5 - not even close. I'm currently close to 20% - I should probably go on a "real" cut soon.

And, no - not every woman at 18.7% shows abs - it's just that, generally speaking, with less than 20% BF and some ab muscle to speak of, it shows up there. Again, that's just speaking in general terms.

My thought, in response to your OP, is to keep doing what you're doing. I'd think that pole dancing would work your core a good deal, so I'm not sure that you'd really have to change much there.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    body-fat-percentage-picture-men-women.jpg

This chart clearly shows, if you're an overweight guy, you're going to be taking your own picture.
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So what is the most accurate way to find out what your BF% is?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

BodPod or Dexascan.
  • TR0berts
    Options

Autopsy.

But, since that's not a road most want to take, I'd recommend either hydrostatic weighing or Dexa Scan - both are very accurate.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    em8x4uchqgh9.jpg

If you want "washboard"/"6 pack" abs, you definitely want to be well into the Athlete range, most likely the lower half. As said before, where you carry, as well as other factors, will determine how low in the range you need to go to get the results you want. Stay above the essential fat % except for extremely short periods ( competition, etc ), to forgo potential problems.

Poledancing is a good overall activity, as long as the duration and intensity is sufficient. Mix in other activities that change the way you are stressing your muscles, or cover areas that need more work.

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod is only $50 where I live....huh. Maybe I'll get one done (when my body fat % is less embarrassingly high).
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    body-fat-percentage-picture-men-women.jpg

This chart clearly shows, if you're an overweight guy, you're going to be taking your own picture.

So glad I'm not the only one that noticed :smiley:
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's all about bodyfat %, but also body type and genetics. I have always been about 25% bodyfat, but until menopause, I could still get pretty good abs just by doing a consistent ab routine. Even now, if I drop below 120 lbs., you can see my ribs. Most of my fat is in my hips and upper arms. I have a friend who is exactly my weight and height, and she can't seem to get abs no matter what she does, but she can tone her butt very easily and wears at least one size smaller bottom than I do.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    genetics and lower body fat that's about the extent of it. I know people with very low body fat and still don't show much abs.
  • sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got abs first showing at 16% from a combo of pole dancing, rock climbing and trail running, with a cutting diet to get from 19% to 16% over 4 weeks. Abs are really ALL about diet. I ate 11 calories per pound of my body weight, and kept my macros at 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat, eating 250 calories every 2.5 hours, and that worked FAST. To cut, calculate your BMR, then choose 11, 12, or 13 calories per pound based on your goals and training intensity. Good luck!