Meat eaters vs Vegans whats healthier

Options
AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
Whats Healthier please state reasons and show studies if possible to back your view of point confused I am thinking of trying vegan for a day

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I know morbidly obese vegans, I know slim vegans.
    I know morbidly obese carnivores, I know slim carnivores.

The big concerns with eating animal proteins are cholesterol & overall fat, and there is a slightly heightened risk
    of colon cancer, most likely because when people eat more meat they eat less fiber.

The big concern with avoiding animal proteins are getting enough protein. Beans are a biggie, also certain
    grains have a decent amount.

Doing either for a day, or a week, or a month isn't likely to help or harm you.

Here's where you can search for published scientific studies on any health-related topic.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

You could also use google to search for a string something like [benefits and risks of veganism and eating meat].
    But then you need to be knowledgeable about what sites are good / reliable / believable sources and which are
    (to put it nicely) feces.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I became interested in eating a plant based/vegan diet because of the idea that it was healthier (not for ethical reasons). I spent quite a bit of time reading through websites and books from advocates of this way of eating. People like Furhman, Esselstyn etc etc. I decided to try a whole foods, plant based diet for a few months and see how it went. The outcome wasn't what I had expected though. I began losing my hair, my period stopped and I had no noticeable health benefits from this woe. I also didn't lose weight.

I went back to eating everything I liked and the hair loss stopped and my period came back. Just wasn't for me.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Plant based is best for overall health but you have to make sure you get enough of all the different nutrients......to see studies about plant based diet vs disease check out this video from nutritionfacts.org.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video. I thinking I have to go raw vegan from the paleo diet I'm currently on.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whats Healthier please state reasons and show studies if possible to back your view of point confused I am thinking of trying vegan for a day

What do you think a day of anything will do? One day wont do or prove anything so I have a feeling you're trolling (considering previous posts by you as well) but I will respond.

I was a 333pound Vegan I'm now a 190 pound Vegan Distance runner which at last visit to the Drs had great bloods.

There are many healthy and fit people who eat meat and animal products.

Removing the ethical arguments (which to me is the main reason for being a Vegan) you can healthy and unhealthy diets with and without meat and animal products.
    The big concern with avoiding animal proteins are getting enough protein
    Just to add this is no concern and a Myth you have to try really hard not to get enough Protein
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

What do you think a day of anything will do? One day wont do or prove anything so I have a feeling you're trolling (considering previous posts by you as well) but I will respond.

I was a 333pound Vegan I'm now a 190 pound Vegan Distance runner which at last visit to the Drs had great bloods.

There are many healthy and fit people who eat meat and animal products.

Removing the ethical arguments (which to me is the main reason for being a Vegan) you can healthy and unhealthy diets with and without meat and animal products.
    The big concern with avoiding animal proteins are getting enough protein
    Just to add this is no concern and a Myth you have to try really hard not to get enough Protein

I know a day wont make a difference I want to try it for a day and see how it feels
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There is no One-Size-Fits-All way of eating. Cutting out meat can be therapeutic for some, and detrimental to others. There are studies supporting Vegan and Paleo diets. Some say meat results in "all cause mortality" and some say vitamin b12 deficiency is a problem for vegans. People just need to be in touch enough to know if their food is nurturing them in optimal ways or not. I like what the acclaimed food writer, Michael Pollan, has to say: "Eat food, but not too much, and mostly plants." A whole slew of WOEs can fit into those guidelines!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    the diet that is less restrictive of choices is always healthier. Sure, you have freedom to select the best of what's available, but if your pool of what's available is larger, then logic would say that choosing from the larger pool is better.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    here we go...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video. I thinking I have to go raw vegan from the paleo diet I'm currently on.

um. what?
    why would you go from one extreme of high meat to no animal products at all?

Does.Not.Compute.

The only reason you would be going vegan is for moral/ethical issues you have about eating animal products and bi products. Otherwise there is no advantage to switching.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Vegan for a day? lol
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Vegan for a day? lol

sure, I'll sit on the couch and eat oreos all day for a day...for science right?

*yeah, I know you people don't really do that...just a poor attempt at humor of a hypothetical way to accomplish veganism for a day...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Neither.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Vegan versus meat eating is an emotionally-led choice that has very little to do with everyday health. Both diets can be done badly. Also, going vegan for a day won't tell you anything. I've got vegan days every week.

My evidence, dental anthropology.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    neither, it depends on the individual to make sure that they are hitting micro/macro/calorie goals...

you can be vegan and obese...you can be a meat eater and be slim/healthy and the opposite is true too.

for me personally a life without meat is not one that I want to live...

and one day of vegan is going to do absolutely nothing.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I could never give up meat.

That is all I have to add to this.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am drawing from my experience with my daughter. She was 18 and losing weight, severe stomach problems, so she decided to go vegan. She saw a movie too and decided to do it. She did lots of research.

It worked, she started gaining weight her stomach was better, she started looking healthier. But after about one year and half, stomach issues came back and she wasn't gaining. It wasn't working any more.

Decision to eat meat again was made. Her stomach, not much of a problem, just once in a while. She has to watch milk and certain foods, but she is back to 125lbs. (she was 5'4" and got down to 101, the doctor said anymore weight loss and they would have to do a lot more tests).

Can you be a healthy vegan, yes. Does it work for everyone, No. I tried cutting out meat to be a little healthier and the cravings were not good. I eat a very balanced now, I am lactose intolerant and avoid milk, so that is OK.

Truth is we as humans are Omnivores and can eat both. The key problem with being vegan is that you can run into a vitamin deficiency, one of the B's that is only found in animal protein and kelp or seaweed. Iron and Protein also can be a problem.

On the other hand too much red meat can be bad for you. There are lots of hormones and antibiotics in chicken (although that is being changed in the US).

Another odd by-product of going vegan is the development of new allergies. My daughter developed new allergies and my friend told me her friend had the same problem and it was from going vegan.

In the end, do what works best for you and makes you feel good.

Lastly - Oreos are Vegan
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    There are healthy vegan diets; there are unhealthy vegan diets.

There are healthy omnivore diets; there are unhealthy omnivore diets.

Vegan vs. Omnivore isn't a "health" dichotomy (well...some people think it is, but in reality it's not) It's usually a morality dichotomy.