Would you (especially girls) ask someone random to spot you?

Options
Amyaya
Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
I have only been lifting weights the last couple of months and I have made some progress so far.

My current goal is to go up to my body weight on squats - but this definitely requires a spotter to do safely. My issue is that because I always go to the gym alone ( have no one to go with!) it is preventing me to go heavier (except for a PT session a week).

Would you ask someone random you see there to spot you? If so how would you approach them?
Also - if you were asked to spot someone, would you feel ok with it?

Replies

• DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Most folks would have no issue with it IMO, but spotting for squat is quite... close so its more a case of you feeling comfortable i'd guess
  • Amyaya
    Options
    Most folks would have no issue with it IMO, but spotting for squat is quite... close so its more a case of you feeling comfortable i'd guess

Yes I know what you mean and spotting squats is quite close! I feel frustrated - and I def wouldn't want anyone to get a "wrong" idea by asking to spot me either! lol
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So you don't have access to a squat rack that has the safety bars? Hmmm, the videos I've seen with people spotting lifters on squats show two spotters, one on either side of the bar, so it's not quite so "close". Maybe you could get two people to help?
  • Amyaya
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So you don't have access to a squat rack that has the safety bars? Hmmm, the videos I've seen with people spotting lifters on squats show two spotters, one on either side of the bar, so it's not quite so "close". Maybe you could get two people to help?

I do have access to those squat racks with safety bars - but I am still not comfortable going heavier with no one supporting me. I wish my bf would go with me but he has no interest in working out at the gym which is a shame! :(
  • Amyaya
    Options

Also again - I guess I just didnt make sense did I. I mean having a spotter is what I want so I would be fine with it. I just wanted to ask how people would feel being asked for it, and if any girls would ask if they were in my situation.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have asked random people for a spot. I prefer it to be someone I see often and chat with sometimes, but when I first started, or even now on certain days-no one like that around. I do prefer it to be someone who I have seen power lifting already. Are you friendly with anyone at the gym?
  • Amyaya
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have asked random people for a spot. I prefer it to be someone I see often and chat with sometimes, but when I first started, or even now on certain days-no one like that around. I do prefer it to be someone who I have seen power lifting already. Are you friendly with anyone at the gym?

I do chit chat to some people I often see - but they might not be the ones who could help with spotting.. (they are not doing weights)
  • Amyaya
    Options
    Amyaya wrote: »
    I have only been lifting weights the last couple of months and I have made some progress so far.

My current goal is to go up to my body weight on squats - but this definitely requires a spotter to do safely. My issue is that because I always go to the gym alone ( have no one to go with!) it is preventing me to go heavier (except for a PT session a week).

Would you ask someone random you see there to spot you? If so how would you approach them?

I don't ask for spots. I never lift to failure when I could drop the weight on myself. I have seen several others do this though. You should find two spotters for squats, one on each side of the bar. Just look for someone who is paying attention to you, they will probably help.

Ok I see - finding two spotters would be even harder....
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The reason I use machines is so that I don't have to have a spotter. If there was a way to not have one I would totally get into that!
  • arditarose
    Options

I don't ask for spots. I never lift to failure when I could drop the weight on myself. I have seen several others do this though. You should find two spotters for squats, one on each side of the bar. Just look for someone who is paying attention to you, they will probably help.

Ok I see - finding two spotters would be even harder....

You don't need to do that.

Just ask someone. It's worth the 30 seconds of awkwardness to see how you are doing up near your max. Trust me.
  • arditarose
    Options
    zoomtech16 wrote: »
    The reason I use machines is so that I don't have to have a spotter. If there was a way to not have one I would totally get into that!

You don't really need one. Sometimes when you are up near max weights it can be helpful.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    zoomtech16 wrote: »

You're robbing yourself of the amazingness that is free weights.

I lift alone alone. And if there was someone else in my basement, I wouldnt br asking them to spot me.

When I lifted in a commercial gym, I never once felt the need for a spotter on squats. Once on bench but I've watched how to get out of a bad bench or a bad squat
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP, how much are you doing for reps now? It took me about a year of squatting before I got high enough to ask for a spot.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I use a power squat rack with the safety bars.

I max out at 405. Never have a spotter as much as observer. The bars are my emergency spotter

That said I have spotted women I know well as they seem to like a person as well as the safety bars.

It is a bit personal and I do keep my hands on her waist and do the squat as well.

I would think it odd for a stranger to ask me. How would they know I knew what I was doing?
  • Amyaya
    Options
    OP, how much are you doing for reps now? It took me about a year of squatting before I got high enough to ask for a spot.

I am currently at only 110 x 5 reps after about 2.5 months of training. I am aiming at 132 which is my body weight for now. When I tried 110 last week, I did need a spotter (my PT) and I could just make my last rep but it was very close to dropping.
  • arditarose
    Options

I am currently at only 110 x 5 reps after about 2.5 months of training. I am aiming at 132 which is my body weight for now. When I tried 110 last week, I did need a spotter (my PT) and I could just make my last rep but it was very close to dropping.

Are you doing 5x5?

• Amyaya
    Options

Are you doing 5x5?

No not doing 5 x5, 110 last week was my first time trying and 5 reps were the maximum i could make.
  • arditarose
    edited June 2015
    Options

Are you doing 5x5?

No not doing 5 x5, 110 last week was my first time trying and 5 reps were the maximum i could make.

Okay, so you don't necessarily need a spotter. You need a structured program with a progressive overload, adding appropriate amount of weight each week. There are definitely weeks when my last rep on my last set is HARD to get up, but it goes. And if it doesn't, I know how to fail with the safety bars.