Getting the flu makes it so much harder

Options
Does anyone else find themselves being a little less strict when they get sick? I'm stuck at home with a really bad flu virus right now and damn, counting calories sucks! I'm probably in the minority in that I have always eaten more when I get sick. It's kind of a comfort thing. Plus, being stuck in bed gets boring. I went 500 over goal yesterday.

Is it fair to be a bit less strict when sick or am I just giving myself an excuse to cheat?

Replies

• rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would try and eat lots of yummy fresh fruits, veggies and herbs. I would also try and get out and go for a light walk if your up to it. Fresh air always does me the world of good. Make yourself a big pot of veggie or chicken soup.
    I am one of those that eats a lot less when I am unwell but I try and stay functional... probably out of necessity (I have kids so stopping to be unwell kinda isn't an option LOL)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Madame_Goldbrick
    Madame_Goldbrick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way - you're fuelling your body to a speedy recovery.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Most people eat less. If you went 500 over its probably moved ypu to maintenance for tht day so dont worry, but get well.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I usually lose weight when I get sick because I do not realize I am hungry. However, I gained weight when I was sick a few weeks ago because I just felt like drinking Slush Monkeys all day everyday to make my throat stop hurting. I could have drank cold water, but nope it was Slushy Time.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I am exactly where your at, I have been sick all week, and I have been hungrier than normal. I have tried to stay under but its been a challenge, especially since I havent been moving as much. Last night I gave in and had a twinkie I had been craving, after my calories were already over. I did weigh today after not for almost a wedk and I am the same. But your not alone in being hungry during certain times being sick.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was sick repeatedly in the fall and lost at least 10 pounds. I thought for sure that some of it would come back as it was probably dehydration etc, but it stayed off. I did feed my cold, but I also consumed a lot of homemade broth, this was the biggest part of my diet.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are sick! During the winter months it felt like an ongoing cycle of sickness in my house. My kids would catch a bug at school, and it would go through my 5 member family like dominoes. We had a month solid of strep throat followed by another month of flu. At one point I was on the verge of depression over it. I remember ranting to my husband vividly. The good news is, although it is miserable and makes everything especially fitness nearly impossible, it will pass. Even if you feel like hell in the moment. Hoping you are better soon!
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the lovely replies. Feeling a bit better but still went over my calories a bit! I should specify that it's NOT a stomach bug. Just sniffly, saw throat and achey. I am phobic about vomiting so believe me, I never eat much when it's THAT kind of sick.