How does the weight of "dry" foods count?

Options
This is probably a silly question - that everyone but me knows the answer to (blush*) but I am time and time again confused about what weight of some foods is being referred to when given the caloric value.
Here are some examples:
Rice stick (vermicelli noodle)
rice
pasta
beans
and so on

Just made a nice vegi and chicken stir fry with "Kong Moon Rice Sticks" there is caloric reference on the package witch does match data base... but is it dry or cooked? (huge difference - right - Hope it is dry - lol)

Thanks for help

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Does it specify on the nutritional label on the back of the package?
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's almost always cooked. As prepared per the instructions. Sometimes the package will have two different numbers for dry and cooked, so read the nutrition label carefully.

If it doesn't say which it is, you can probably use servings per container to tell which it is.

ETA: For rice sticks, it looks like the standard serving is 2 oz dry weight, for 200 cal.
  • missiontofitness
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok, I don't know why I did this, but I really wanted to figure this out, lol.

It looks like an entire package is 400g dry, according to one site I found which sells it. If your package says there are four servings, I would assume it is dry weight for 100g. Vermicelli doesn't absorb as much water in the cooking process as say, pasta, so I would think it would be okay to assume the above, as long as it matches up.
  • vegasjj49
    vegasjj49 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for responses - especially missiontofitness :) Yes it is a 400g pkg.
    From your answers sounds like each item can be different :( as to the calories are given cooked or dry :( ...?
  • vegasjj49
    Options
    It makes it real hard to use the database? no? How do you go about it?
  • PopeyeCT
    edited June 2015
    Options
    vegasjj49 wrote: »
    each item can be different :( as to the calories are given cooked or dry :( ...?

Yes, always read the label carefully. Especially the serving size. They try to make themselves look better. Like a "100 cal breakfast bar" on the front label, and you read the nutrition label on the back and they are calling it 2 1/2 servings per bar.

The good news is that it's only hard for the first couple weeks. After that you will be familiar with all your favorite foods and know what to expect. The MFP software also remembers your recent foods.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    vegasjj49 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for responses - especially missiontofitness :) Yes it is a 400g pkg.
    From your answers sounds like each item can be different :( as to the calories are given cooked or dry :( ...?

Yes; some companies list dry weight, others list cooked. With pasta/rice based items, you'll generally see things as dry, since the water content can vary based on how the items are cooked, which in turn affects the weight of the final product (so no sense in having a set serving size for cooked items!). I've noticed smaller food production chains don't always specify dry/cooked, so you have to take a best educated guess if you can't find anything on the package or online (like I did above).
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I try to use the uncooked DB entries, and weigh the ingredients in the uncooked state.

Ex. I have some pasta which lists 56 g for a serving size, and has a matching entry in the DB.

If I weigh out 70g of the pasta, I enter 70 / 56 = 1.25 servings of pasta for my entry.

If I were to weigh the pasta after cooking, I would not be able to calculate as accurately.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    It's almost always cooked. As prepared per the instructions. Sometimes the package will have two different numbers for dry and cooked, so read the nutrition label carefully.

If it doesn't say which it is, you can probably use servings per container to tell which it is.

ETA: For rice sticks, it looks like the standard serving is 2 oz dry weight, for 200 cal.

From my experience I think it's almost always dry... Dry/raw is most accurate as cooking time and method will have a big impact on the weight of the food when cooked.
  • PopeyeCT
    edited June 2015
    Options
    From my experience I think it's almost always dry... Dry/raw is most accurate as cooking time and method will have a big impact on the weight of the food when cooked.

I think you're right for things like pasta or dried beans or legumes.

I was thinking of things like Hamburger Helper or Mac-n-cheese where they have you add other ingredients that aren't in the package. Those usually include two numbers, one for what in the package and one for what's in the final result.

fy6ln0323h4a.jpg
  • bpetrosky
    Options

I was thinking of things like Hamburger Helper or Mac-n-cheese where they have you add other ingredients that aren't in the package. Those usually include two numbers, one for what in the package and one for what's in the final result.

Weigh out the portions of the ingredients used before cooking.

You can then weigh the final result. (If you use a casserole dish, weigh the dish empty and then weigh with the result.

Your serving is then the portion of the final product eaten.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I don't even know what that is! We don't have it in Australia as far as I know! Our cereals have info per serve, then per serve with X amount of a type of milk, then per 100g....some other foods are like that (packet cake definitely).
  • vegasjj49
    Options
    It seems that the general opinion leans towards most items are calorie counted dry (unless specified otherwise). I really like that :) definitely seems more "humane" - especially since i like that rice noodle - it is real good - and with the calorie as counted apx 0.30g - 100 cal is already OK for me - in the stir fry / per portion.
  • bpetrosky
    Options

I don't even know what that is! We don't have it in Australia as far as I know! Our cereals have info per serve, then per serve with X amount of a type of milk, then per 100g....some other foods are like that (packet cake definitely).

You're not missing much. Hamburger Helper is a line of one-skillet meal products (mostly pastas and spice packs) that you add ground beef to for a casserole like dinner. It's 60s convenience food at it's finest, enjoyed by college students everywhere when they have enough money to spend on more than ramen.

The boxed mac-n-cheese is kind of the same thing, but it's so easy to make from scratch I haven't used a box in years.