Raw eating and..... gas

Options
shaboogie56
shaboogie56 Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I allowed my otherwise rewarding and low budget mostly-raw diet to fall apart when I started to work in an office... Because I realized i had dreadful gas which correlated directly with raw eating.

I want to go at least mostly raw again. Please post ideas to combat the gas!

I'm sure there are over-the-counter remedies but I'd rather go with something more healthy & less factory produced. This is partially because I already take a bunch of medication.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Producing lots of gas isn't healthy.... So why choose to follow a diet that produces unhealthy results?

Just because you're eating "healthy" food doesn't mean it's healthy for you, or that you are healthy.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Producing gas is normal. You may just be consuming a lot of vegetables and fruits that are high in "fodmaps". Look into low fodmap options to try for a while and then add in the veggies and fruits etc that are higher and test to see what ones might be worse for you :)

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Here come the naysayers. OP, Pm me or add me if you want to chat about some ideas for trying out, or just for support. I'm not a raw eater although I do like raw stuff and suffer from IBS etc and am on a low fodmap diet (fodmaps produce high levels of gas in the intestines, etc).
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Dr. Fuhrman's website talks about this side effect. As a kid, my mom fed us only healthy stuff. (I thank her for that now!) But I had so much gas kids teased me! I was a vegan for almost 5 years, and this was a problem then, too. So here are two suggestions that might work for you: Indian health food stores have the worst-smelling substance on Earth, called "asafoetida." http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/asafoetida-powder A pinch of it doesn't affect the taste but it certainly cuts down on gas from legumes, etc. Another mostly-natural solution is the product called "Bean-o" - it works but not just for beans. (Think broccoli, handfuls of nuts, etc.) I rarely remember to take the Bean-o BEFORE consuming the things that give me gas, but when I do, it works every time.

I respect your desire to go raw again. Good wishes with that.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Usually the gas will decline as your body adjusts to the increased fiber.....so it might take a few weeks or several months but gas production should decline as your new microflora in your gut changes
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    healwithfood.org/flatulence/foods.php
    Digestive Enzymes will also help.
  • shaboogie56
    shaboogie56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you for the constructive suggestions!! i've learned a lot.

whether or not raw is ok was not the topic of the conversation :)