pacer steps and calories

Options
Hi

Please can anyone tell me if the pacer app and its automatic exercise calories added are anything I should be taking notice of ? I had my phone with me on and off throughout the day but it recorded 7000 steps for when I had it and that has automatically added 310 exercise calories burned which seems a bit steep to say the least. Please can anyone advise , thanks

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What did you choose for an activity level when you entered your stats into MFP?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're set to sedentary, that sounds about right, as 7000 equates closer to lightly active. But I'd be wary of that count...Pacer usually counts way over what my Fitbit does (almost 3000 steps more yesterday), so unless you can measure your stride length, only eat back half of those calories.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pacer is extremely accurate for me in regards to step count - better than a pedometer I wasted money on. I use it on a samsung galaxy s3 mini so not a fancy new phone. I did set my actual stride length though.

I aim for about 13,000 steps per day and eat a small amount of that back. I know how many kilometers I need to cover for that many steps so don't usually bother with the app these days as my battery is getting crappy now.
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I chose sedentary although I don't really think I am. I work in a hospital 12 hours a day and only really relax when I get in to bed. I make time to go on the treadmill but my pedometer most days is at around 15,000 steps. ( We are doing the Global Corporate Challenge at work and they seem pretty accurate) I don't know if I can use this to help me chose an activity level. I am not eating any of the calories pacer is giving me as I don't understand why I would when I am as active as I have always been?
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I chose sedentary although I don't really think I am. I work in a hospital 12 hours a day and only really relax when I get in to bed. I make time to go on the treadmill but my pedometer most days is at around 15,000 steps. ( We are doing the Global Corporate Challenge at work and they seem pretty accurate) I don't know if I can use this to help me chose an activity level. I am not eating any of the calories pacer is giving me as I don't understand why I would when I am as active as I have always been?

I work in the medical field too, and I am on my feet on workdays and my pedometer says 9,500-10,500 steps a day, depending on the day. This is not including exercise (exercise brings me WAY up) I'm just not sure what my activity level would be, and I initially set my calories to "sedentary" as well.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)

doesn't include exercise calories