First week disappointment :(

Options
2»

Replies

• CBR500
    CBR500 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I think over the years I have come to just expext failure even when I do something to the book, but I will keep going.. So should I eat my fitbit extra calories or just stick to the basic? What do you all think?
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's disappointing when we've been "good" and expect to see big results - and see little to no change. Or, even worse, we gain weight LOL! Like everyone else said, be sure to measure/weigh your food and hit your calorie range. For me, when I don't eat enough, my weight loss stalls. I know it sounds crazy, but after months and months of working towards my goal, I can see a clear pattern of no loss the weeks I'm way under calorie wise. Conversely, the weeks I'm at/slightly over my daily calorie goal, I have the biggest weight loss. I try to focus on what I can control - my food intake, my exercise and my attitude. The weight loss happens at it's own pace.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    CBR500 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone, I have measures and weighed everything.. The only day I could not log was yesterday as my phone would not let me do anything.. I sync with my fitbit and wonder if it's because I have been eating the extra calories from activity? Should I just stick to my base calories?

When you say you measure-- do you mean just your liquids? The food scale should be used for everything else.

It could be that you're eating too many activity calories. In general, I give myself 100 calories per mile run and about 25-50 calories per half hour of lifting.

Still, you need to give it time. I've lost 70 lbs on myfitnesspal. Some weeks I lost 0 lbs, some weeks it looked like I gained 4 lbs (water weight fluctuations).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You really need to start preparing yourself for a long journey with ups and owns or you will drive yourself mad and not make it to the end.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to weigh myself and gauge my loss/gain by the way my clothes fit. I don't want to get obsessed with a scale and the fluctuations women face so that's how I do it. Every so often I will weigh myself to get a number though.
  • CBR500
    Options
    I use the scale too, I had 30g branflakes with 150ml milk for breakfast all measures and weighed.. I ecen measure any milk I put In coffee.. And the exercise calories I use are only the ones my Fitbit adds automatically.. I don't put any in manually
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Realistically you will not have a loss every single week and there will be weeks where you gain. I have had lots of ups and downs, but the overall trend is down so I would say it works. I have learned so much since I started, just hang in there and keep going. The days will pass no matter what.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    CBR500, being female and not a kid anymore (with the kid metabolism) adds an extra layer of challenge. Our bodies retain weight for any number of reasons: too much salt, not drinking enough water, sore muscles, and hormones. You just have to push through. Do the right things and the loss will come. I'm on a bit of a plateau myself (with 10 pounds I want to lose) and I've gone back to logging and weighing everything, and drinking lots of water. Hang in there!
  • Icekler
    Icekler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself at the appropriate times? I always weigh myself naked every morning, before drinking or eating anything, and after I've gone to the bathroom. That way, there's not any extra weight from clothes, food you've eaten that day, anything in your bowels and also water that you drank.

Even with all those measures, consider that your weight changes CONSTANTLY during the day, because of many, many factors. SO you're going to see some peaks. Some days it'll rise, other days it'll go down.

DO NOT worry about these. Once you have enough data from weighing yourself everyday, you will see an average slope on the little progress graph that the app offers. Only then you will start to see the pattern and think, oh, I've lost weight.

Counting your calories and weighing your food may in fact be precise. I don't really do this, I just eat what I believe appropriate and try to estimate whatever amount of Calories that was (I don't think it's exact, but ALWAYS round up).

So what if you don't see progress in one week. This thing takes months, not just the weight loss thing, also to make a decent graph with all that data.

I hope you stick to it, and begin to see some progress. Have a good day!
  • eh1404a
    eh1404a Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! I've been steadily gaining weight through this process. I was freaking out about it, but I didn't need to! I went and got a full body composition analysis, which is the best thing I could have done. I've lost about 15 pounds of fat, but I gained about 20 pounds of muscle. And I'm also retaining some water (as per usual in the summer for me). So it looks like I've gained about 7 pounds, but really, I'm losing fat mass. Try and find a place that does the full body comp, and do it once a month. It will put your mind at ease : )
  • CBR500
    Options
    I'm just going to try and
    Have some faith
    And keep going :)