What is it like to finally have a flat stomach?

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
That's what I've been wondering ever since I started losing weight two years ago and even more now that I am almost there (only 5 more kg!).

I guess it may feel good to achieve this goal. Or I guess it may also be a bit anti-climatic. Or it can be weird, like a part of your body is missing. I guess I'll have to wait a few more months until I get there.

But that doesn't keep me from wondering, so what is it like for you? (or what do you expect if you are also not there yet)

Replies

• ravikrishna
    ravikrishna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've just another 10 kgs to lose to achieve that bliss point. Has reduced 31kgs till now. I assume that it's goanna be my abs that I can see and feel more clearly and more of a beach body to display.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My stomach is 'flat'

Only it's not .. it's more curvy across the underlying musculature and vaguely B shaped .. because that's how stomachs are

My clothes certainly hang better
  • fbass91
    fbass91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How to you get rid of the belly fat ? ( I have some). I'm close to goal weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not sure I don't have one even tho I have lost almost 60lbs and close to another goal.

there is this little bit at the bottom but as a woman eh...it might always be that way...if I ever get a flat stomach I will post how it feels..
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a flat stomach now. It's nice to not have the whole muffin top look going on, and my tank tops don't ride up anymore. But besides that it hasn't changed my life in any profound way :)
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It makes looking in the mirror a lot more fun haha. But you don't get a flat stomach just from losing weight, you have to work out a lot too, especially if you're a woman.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My stomach is flat/ish.
    As others have said, clothes look a bit better and it's nice not to keep having to wear long or baggy tops to cover it.
    But it's not a big deal.
    I actually had a 6 pack a few years back, but did a mad amount of exercise to get it.
    Couldn't be bothered doing that now! :#
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My stomachs not flat, but its not very big now and lost the muffin top! I couldn't stop stroking my stomach at first, felt so strange having a little tummy! Made me smile every time, been so embarrassed of this stomach and nice not to have to worry about what I'm wearing so much!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    My favorite thing about these threads is the downplaying people do. Here's something that people have worked hard for, in some cases obsessed over to get, exercised, dieted, and when they have it all you hear is "Meh, it's not big deal. I look better, feel better, and I don't have to ever worry about what I wear but not big deal."

My favorite thing is how you always manage to come in and get pissy about how other people who have experienced a phenomenon that you haven't experienced feel about it.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If I ever achieve a flat stomach I swear I'm going to spend all my spare time looking at it in the mirror, admiring it's flatness.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing about these threads is the downplaying people do. Here's something that people have worked hard for, in some cases obsessed over to get, exercised, dieted, and when they have it all you hear is "Meh, it's not big deal. I look better, feel better, and I don't have to ever worry about what I wear but not big deal."

Meh .. I didn't get obsessed .. I did what I had to do

The exercise made me feel amazing

The calorie control was just necessary and still is

and no it's not a big deal .. it's not life-changing .. it doesn't change the person I am, the way my husband or friends or children relate to me, my job .. but it does change my life-expectancy and verve

so ask me if it's great when I beat my 14 year old son at push-ups .. g'wan ask me .. because that I will shout from the bloody roof-tops .. because I rock .. I couldn't even do a push-up before last October

Ask me how I felt the first time I managed to pull my bodyweight up in a pull-up .. cos that also rocked

Ask me if it feels great to not take asthma meds or have a panic attack when I get out of breath

but a flat stomach .. it's really, really not a big deal
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My tummy was not too big even when I was overweight. But now that it is pretty flat, I admit-it's fun. I just tried a bikini on today and didn't cringe. My jeans don't dig into me. I don't get self conscious if my shirt lifts a little when I reach for something. Crop tops are fun.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It is nice having a flat stomach, but I mainly only ever think about it when I'm lying down and I absent-mindedly rest my hand there and it feels firm and flat. Then I go back to whatever I was thinking about before.

I think what I like is the absence of thought about my stomach - before I lost weight, I was conscious of it, even though that is not where I carried most of the extra few stone. Having a flat stomach won't miraculously overhaul your confidence levels overnight or anything, but not thinking about it is nice in of itself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's not quite flat yet, but my shirts hang down from my chest and are loose at my waist instead of being stretched out. I'm pretty on board with that.

I can buy exercise shorts without an "X" in the size despite being a much larger than average human being. That's not bad, either.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Thing is, I didn't do this whole thing to get a flat stomach. I did it to get my glucose number stabilized and improve my health. Is it nice to be able to wear clothes better now? Sure. Is that why I worked hard to lose the weight? Nope.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My tummy was not too big even when I was overweight. But now that it is pretty flat, I admit-it's fun. I just tried a bikini on today and didn't cringe. My jeans don't dig into me. I don't get self conscious if my shirt lifts a little when I reach for something. Crop tops are fun.

My "mom pouch" is envious of your stomach. Crop tops will *never* be an option here ... unless I want my youngest trying to play connect the dots with my stretch marks (thanks kids) and scars (3 laparoscopic surgeries yay!). Me in a bikini would also be a crime against humanity. :laugh:

I never went into this weight loss with any expectation of a flat stomach. I just wanted to not be wearing size 16 anymore, and I didn't want to end up diabetic. I've even somewhat resigned myself to the fact that my stomach might always be a little squishy, and that my youngest might always jab at it yelling "my squishy belly" before face planting into my stomach and cuddling me. :P
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I think what I like is the absence of thought about my stomach - before I lost weight, I was conscious of it, even though that is not where I carried most of the extra few stone. Having a flat stomach won't miraculously overhaul your confidence levels overnight or anything, but not thinking about it is nice in of itself.

This is where I want to get. I am not after a 6 pack or a flat stomach to be visible for the general public while I wear a bikini. It is where I carry my extra weight and I just want to get to the point where I don't think about it at all.

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'm hoping for:

Cycling: Be able to ride in a more aero position (in the drops) and still be able to breathe.

Sleeping: Be able to sleep belly down and still be able to breathe.

Pedicure: Be able to reach my feet well enough to do my own toe nails and still be able to breathe.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if my stomach is completely flat or not. Would it be nice? Absolutely! But as long a it's smaller than it is now I'll be happy. I just look forward to the day that my stomach is proportionate to my lower body. Pants that fit my waist are far too baggy in the legs and seat