Women who are 5'5/5'6

Options

Replies

• arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Actually I remember myself crying over the number of calories that MFP flashed in front of my face when I first entered the data...but hey ho, two months later 3kg lighter!!! There is actually a lot one can have within 1200kcal allowance - veggies topping the list:) One of the reasons the weight creeps on us is the popular presumption of the guidance on daily calorie allowance for both men and women very often found on food labels. It usually reads 2000kcal for woman and 2500 for men!!!...and then comes the shock when our TDEE tells us that all we need is no more than 1700 for maintenance or less if we want to lose some weight.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have an allowance of 1200 with 1600 on exercise days (5 days per week). I eat between 1100 and 1200 but struggle to eat the 1400 I should eat, to eat half of my calories back. This is balanced by my two rest days though, when I seem to struggle to stay within 1200! Boredom, I think :)
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1200, but I also have my goal set at 2 pounds per week. Some choose not to because they think it's too restrictive. Personal preference.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'4.5" and I eat about 1100-1200 cals daily but I exercise some of that off and so net cals is about 900

Strong first post. This is completely unnecessary and suggesting a VLCD is against terms of service. You should choose a more sustainable course of action and stop recommending this to others.

To OP--exercise is key. Walking more all day is key. I eat most of the calories I earn from exercise and am losing about a pound a week with 9 more pounds to go. Generally 1400-1700, sometimes more on the weekend.

ETA: I'm 5'6"

MFP recommends to some people 1200 calories daily with a sedentary lifestyle. so the quote you quoted is not actually inaccurate or unnecessary for this forum. For me, i should be consuming 1200 calories daily and exercising 2-3 times per week. i don't need to eat back what i lose in the exercising because i'm not supposed to as it defeats the purpose.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'4.5" and I eat about 1100-1200 cals daily but I exercise some of that off and so net cals is about 900

Strong first post. This is completely unnecessary and suggesting a VLCD is against terms of service. You should choose a more sustainable course of action and stop recommending this to others.

To OP--exercise is key. Walking more all day is key. I eat most of the calories I earn from exercise and am losing about a pound a week with 9 more pounds to go. Generally 1400-1700, sometimes more on the weekend.

MFP recommends to some people 1200 calories daily with a sedentary lifestyle. so the quote you quoted is not actually inaccurate or unnecessary for this forum. For me, i should be consuming 1200 calories daily and exercising 2-3 times per week. i don't need to eat back what i lose in the exercising because i'm not supposed to as it defeats the purpose.

MFP's minimum recommendation is to net 1200 calories, not to gross 1200. Net = total calories eaten less those earned for exercise. Furthermore, eating back calories earned through exercise does not defeat the purpose of exercising if you are actually following the MFP way to lose weight. MFP's method is to reduce your daily goal by the amount of calories necessary to create a caloric deficit equal to your intended weight loss AND to then eat back your exercise calories earned.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6". I maintain somewhere between 2400 and 2500 calories per day. When I was heavier and losing weight last year, I averaged between 1750 and 1860 calories eaten (gross, not net) per day.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 / 29 / 119 lbs, and MFP has me maintaining at 1580. I usually average between 1200-1300 according to Fitbit though.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I weigh 169 lbs. MFP first gave me 1200 when I selected a sedentary activity level but it's been increased to 1340 since I changed my activity level to moderate.

I work out 4 times a week and I walk to work so I thought the sedentary level was a bit inaccurate.
  • rcolwell011
    rcolwell011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" weighing 160 losing weight consistently eating 1800 calories a day. I do exercise 3-6 times a week for 30-45 minutes and am consistently losing 1-3 pounds a week. It is all relative. People lose and maintain with different calories, and 1,200 calories of junk food does not fuel your body the same way 1,200 calories of whole foods do.

Losing weight short term is not worth destroying your metabolism long term. Please make sure you girls are eating enough to fuel yourselves.
  • rcolwell011
    rcolwell011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" weighing 160 losing weight consistently eating 1800 calories a day. I do exercise 3-6 times a week for 30-45 minutes and am consistently losing 1-3 pounds a week. It is all relative. People lose and maintain with different calories, and 1,200 calories of junk food does not fuel your body the same way 1,200 calories of whole foods do.

Losing weight short term is not worth destroying your metabolism long term. Please make sure you girls are eating enough to fuel yourselves.
  • nutmeg86rb
    nutmeg86rb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" & want to lose 2lbs a week. They have me at 1200/day. I also have a Misfit Shine. But as long as I'm eating real food, I'm not only feeling better but losing effectively. And each night, my reward (if I have some calories leftover) I have 5 Hershey kisses if I haven't made huge errors in quality over the day. That's motivation enough for a chocolate junkie like me!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

NET 1200. After exercise, you should be NETTING 1200. I am living proof that you can net under 1200 for several months and feel just peachy--until one day you don't. That user suggested an unhealthy method of loss. I stand by my post.

I would agree that if a person is very short, older, and sedentary, netting under 1200 is fine. But 5'5"+ is not very short.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your solids and measure your liquids? The math doesn't work out unless you have medical conditions. You might be consuming more than you think.

I don't have a scale, so I always record as accurately as possible based on calories. I just started using MFP again recently, but I've been keeping a journal at home for a couple of weeks.

When I make food from scratch, I add up the servings of every component (garlic, onions, carrots, etc.). I will also add extra calories to make up for any errors, and I decrease my reported exercise calories. If I walk enough to burn 200, I will count it as 100. I realize it's entirely possible that I'm still wrong, but I'm honestly trying to be accurate. Thank you!

Definitely get your hands on a scale! Mine was under $15. I was amazed at how much I was eating--what I thought was 1 serving of cheese was probably 1.3 servings!

If you continue to stall after purchasing and using a scale, see a medical professional to rule out hormonal or other problems.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and 37... was 34 when I started. I've lost 80 pounds and I never had to eat under 1650 total.

I'm 5'5 and 38 ( almost 39 ) years old. I want to lose another 28 pounds. It makes me happy to hear you say that. Do you eat 1650 net calories and still losing?
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 49 yo, and have a sedentary job (desk). SW 153, GW 120, CW 130. I do short workouts during the weekdays with long workouts on the weekends. They have mine set at 1200/day. I use a food scale and also measuring cups. I'm working on my last ten pounds..................
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    brandyosu wrote: »
    I'm 5'5.5", 40-years-old and have been eating in the ballpark of around 1200 to 1600 calories per day. I don't exercise, although I acknowledge its importance and hope that as I continue this journey that I find ways to start incorporating it in. I started 7 weeks ago and have lost just shy of 20 pounds. CICO works, but I was also prediabetic when I started so I am cautious with my intake of carbs and refined sugars. Don't get me wrong, I eat them, I just try to focus on taking in more whole wheats and fruits and veggies and try to keep the other stuff (like Ghirardelli Milk Caramel squares...nomnomnom) to a minimum.

I find this inspiring! I'm on medication, a side effect of which is insulin resistance (and annoyingly, appetite stimulation!). I'm just starting to understand what this means for me and for my diet but your post is both encouraging and reassuring to me. Thank you.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Mine is custom set at 1500, although I'm quite often under that by 100 or so during the week and over a bit on weekends. According to my Fitbit, my deficit is around 3500 per week. I'm 47, 5'5" and currently 154 down from 185. I'm losing around a pound a week and aim to continue to my first goal which is 145lbs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1480 for a pound a week. But since I have a Fitbit, I regularly end up eating 1800-2100 total.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I try to work out a few times a week, but since my family has moved I have not made the time for exercise. Once I get back in to my routine hopefully it won't feel so rough. :)
  • LCD_80
    LCD_80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and started on here almost 3 weeks ago at 144lb. I have a desk job 3 days a week and chase round after 2 kids the other days, so I chose lightly active and to lose 1lb a week and MFP gave me 1320 cal per day. I usually eat around 14-1600 but I earn 3-600 cal per day from exercise. So far I have lost 9lb, aiming for another 9 I think. Working it backwards, I think my maintenance calories might be higher than MFP suggests, as I've lost a lot more than the 1lb a week expected without starving myself.