mom tells daughter not to lift heavy

Options
A friend of mine is discouraging her 12-year-old daughter to stop lifting heavy weights. The daughter plays softball and basketball during the school year, but on summer break the coach is having them workout in the weight room. She is very strong (can squat 185, which is more than I can!), if I had to guess she's 5'1, maybe 130 or 140...I don't know its hard for me to tell. She's not skinny, she's healthy looking to me, but bigger (more body fat) than all of her friends and she says she wishes she was skinny like them. So her mom is telling her to stop lifting heavy, do light weights with high reps.

I wanted to tell my friend it's a myth that low weight / high rep makes you skinny and heavy weights / low rep make you bulky, and her body composition has a lot to do with how much she is eating too. But I wasn't sure if I should critique a 12-year-old growing girl's diet, so I ended up saying that I think she should keep lifting but also add in some cardio for a balanced routine.

I'm absolutely in favor of people lifting heavy. I want the girl to be strong and healthy, and feel her mom's advice is wrong, but I'm not 100% sure I'm right...do the guidelines of heavy lifting plus monitoring calorie intake apply to an adolescent the same way they do to an adult? Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    While I agree with you, with regards to the routine, let the mother raise her daughter. Her advice isn't actively harmful, so let it go.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You could either:
    1. Talk to the mother. You and her might both learn something from the other.
    2. Let it go, it isn't your kid to determine what's best for.
  • sourpower434
    sourpower434 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely don't want to overstep my bounds so I won't press the issue hard with my friend. But would still like to know if adolescents/developing teenagers can/should weightlift and keep track of their calories like we adults do?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with lifting heavy (for the individual) The mom should probably talk to the coach to ge an understanding of the program he has her doing.

That said, unless it's a program with a very high coach to athelte ratio she probably should not be lifting for max singles (maybe not even then).
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that the girl is lifting heavy. I wish I could squat that much too!

I have to ask though (I'm curious), is it safe for a 12 year old girl to lift that much while developing? When my nephew was 11 he started running 5K and the doctor told him not to run any more distance than that because it was not good for him while he was developing (this is all second hand info from my sister, sorry for the vague details).
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yes, they apply the same way. They might want to contact a doctor to ensure she gets the green light to do a weight training program at that age, but apart from that all she needs to do to lose BF% is to eat in a calorie deficit. The lifting only helps retain muscle mass while losing weight as eating in a deficit will cause a person to lose both fat, and muscle.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just correct the myth about lifting heavy making you bulky. How mom wants to parent her kid is up to her, though.
  • sourpower434
    Options
    Yes I figured they'd be doing some kind of running too since it's supposed to be helping them get ready and stay in shape for sports, so probably she should talk with the coach. Like other have said, it's not really my business, but I am curious. Good advice for getting cleared by a doctor too since she is so young, just going through puberty right now. Thanks for all the replies so far!
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my big concern is that... well... her mom could be screwing up the coach's program, and also, SERIOUSLY, she's 12, worry about her weight when she's a little older than that. Puberty is only JUST going to come along and screw with all of her hormones. Eat healthy, stay active. This is no point in a child's life for restricting... especially if she's sporty, exercise is way more important for her. She most certainly should be lifting heavy if that's what the coach's aim for the team is, and she's strong, and she enjoys it and is doing it safely.

Slap in some extra cardio for the weight loss, and eat more veggies. But for real. She's 12. 12 year olds are developing bodies still, it's an awful time to start calorie counting. Move around and eat a healthy diet, and then in a few years if she's still tubby and feels tubby and wants to lose weight, then, once she's done growing, sure.

(sigh)

I would let your friend know that it's a myth and get her to consult with the coach, so that she's not messing with her daughter's sports training program. If she's 130 and squatting 185 for reps, she has a talent and I'd hate to see that wasted. But when it comes down to it, it isn't your daughter.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That family needs to see the 12 year olds pediatrician ASAP. I remember my mom took me in before she had me running 10Ks with her when I was 12. He did say that some intense forms of exercise and lifting can stunt growth in some children. He said I was okay to run races with my mom if I wanted.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think this should be something that gets discussed between the coach and the parent.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make this about whether you or your friend are correct. I'd focus on what the coach says. The girl should follow the coach's program, because that's one of the things coaches are for (sure, there are exceptions when a coach is clueless, but I'm assuming this isn't the case here). If the girl wants to play sports, the last thing a parent should do is attempt to stunt that development by trying to make the child stop training for said sport.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    12 is too young for calorie counting. It might also be too young for heavy lifting. I haven't kept up with the advice but when I was a teenager they weren't letting us lift heavy until we were 15 or so. There was concern about it causing growth problems.

12 year-old girls are already going through a hard enough time without adding calorie counting obsession into their lives. Puberty is going to come along shortly and change things up, anyway. When my son was about that age and wanted to drop some weight my advice was simply "eat less junk food, run more." He dropped 20 pounds in no time flat.

OP, my only advice to you on this subject would be to find some well-referenced information on how heavy lifting is better than high reps/low weight and send it to her once. Then drop it. The mother is going to have to make the final decision on her own and it wouldn't hurt to give her the right information to make that decision but you don't want to harp on it.
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered dietitian and work in pediatrics. I generally do not teach my clients to calorie count. We talk about calories = measurement of energy, but avoid looking too much at the numbers. The risk of disordered eating and obsession over weight doesn't outweigh the benefits.

What we do focus on is eating a variety of food from all the food groups, especially fruits and vegetables every day, a minimum of 60 minutes of daily physical activity, adequate sleep, and limited sedentary time in front of a screen (exception is school work).

We also talk a lot about body positivity and body image. Instead of mom telling her daughter to stop lifting heavy weights because she wants to be thin like her friends, a better message would be to teach her to be proud of how strong she is and to avoid comparing her body to others. This is incredibly detrimental in adolescence, and much more worrysome than not falling at the 50th percentile weight-for-age.

To answer your question succinctly - it depends.

The long version is this: pediatric weight loss is NOT studied the same way adult weight loss is studied. Recommendations for pediatric nutrition lag behind adult nutrition by several years. A big reason for this is the ethics of research. When we "put kids on calorie restricted diets," we may be harming their development. Some adolescent-teenage boys (depending on weight) need as much as 3,400kcal per day, just for development. That doesn't even take high levels of activity into consideration. So to fund a study with thousands of kids and putting them on a diet that may or may not harm their development is near impossible. I would imagine similar studies focusing on exercise would also be difficult - researchers are always afraid of doing more harm to the study subjects than benefits for the greater good when it comes to children.
  • sourpower434
    Options
    I'm so glad you responded uptownplum, great to get information from someone who works with educating children about diet and exercise.
    And thank you everyone, looks like the overall consensus is that it's none of my business and I should let it go and leave it to the parent, coach, doctor. I suppose that seems reasonable... :smile:
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    My mom had her reservations about me starting out in lifting. Every time she bust my chops I repped her for 3 sets. Nothing will silence a nagging mother like overhead pressing her. ;)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    uptownplum wrote: »
    I'm a registered dietitian and work in pediatrics.

That's awesome. Do you conduct much work in-terms of nutrition for performance? A lot of my training and education is around athletic performance & injury prevention, so your view points on performance nutrition would be interesting to read.
    Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!

I'm not trying to be a jerk in anyway so please take this as constructive. Athletes are not necessarily a special population, but they should train a little bit different from the recreational lifter. Adolescents can participate in strength training but the training must be intelligent and actively observed by a coach or trainer.

First consideration - Off-Season vs. In-season: This will dictate the total volume and frequency. Off-season (summer in this case) can be pushed a little but in-season should be minimal, perhaps 2 days per week tops.

2nd Consideration - Intensity & Total Volume: In the off-season a complete program for an athlete will include some "heavy" work but it should also include some strength endurance work and perhaps even strength & core stability work depending on the athlete's needs. In-short, it's good to do some heavy & endurance type lifting.

Unfortunately in your case and I'm assuming at least since you're asking MFP, that you don't have a background in this subject and you're more of a recreationally active lifter versus a performance trainer. Also, which is probably even more unfortunate is that most sport coaches are pretty damn clueless too. That's why at the collegiate and professional level there are typically strength & conditioning coaches that directly manage the athletes' training. Ideally, find a local trainer with a background in the NSCA or NASM (specifically a PES).

Here's some helpful information that the NASM will reference for training adolescents.
    schn.health.nsw.gov.au/files/attachments/resistance_training_guidelines.pdf