Not hungry on low carb should I eat anyway?

Options
I've been trying to change to a low carb lifestyle because my doctor told me to do it. I feel better when I stick to it so I've been working hard to do that. There are someday's when nothing sounds good and I don't want to eat. Many low carb people have told me that happens on this diet.

My question is though... should I force myself to eat something anyway? I want to be healthy and stay healthy so I don't want to lose any nutrition.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You say you've been trying to change to low carb... your diary entries seem to have 120g+ carbs?

What was the motive for switching to a low carb lifestyle, if you're comfortable to share it OP?

If you're not getting enough calories in for whatever your goal is, you should eat your calories even if you don't feel hungry.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You should eat as many calories as your body needs, which you will need to calculate with specifics. It's not uncommon to low hunger cravings when going lower carb then normal, you should still eat the calories though.
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I find with low carb I have a hard time eating enough calories as well. My glass of wine at the end of the day usually bumps me over that line where MFP yells at me for not eating enough. lol

Seriously though, I hate having to force food into me so I've made 'fat bombs' to get that bit of good fats and calories up. I make them from coconut oil, peanut butter, almonds and cocoa powder. Google 'fat bomb' and you'll find all sorts of recipes for a good high calories snack.

Also, come join us in the low carb group! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat sufficient calories per day to allow your body to function properly.

A day or two a couple of times a year undereating? Not harmful.

Significantly undereating more days than not...probably harmful.

I would think it would be quite easy on a low-carb diet to get plenty of calories in. Some of what otherwise would have been carbs in your diet are being replaced with fats, which are over twice as calorie dense as carbs. Heck...assuming you're not allergic or anything, just grab a couple tablespoons full of peanut butter at the end of the day..there's a couple hundred calories easy-peasy.
  • weathersrabbits
    weathersrabbits Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Artemis68 wrote: »
    I find with low carb I have a hard time eating enough calories as well. My glass of wine at the end of the day usually bumps me over that line where MFP yells at me for not eating enough. lol

Seriously though, I hate having to force food into me so I've made 'fat bombs' to get that bit of good fats and calories up. I make them from coconut oil, peanut butter, almonds and cocoa powder. Google 'fat bomb' and you'll find all sorts of recipes for a good high calories snack.

Also, come join us in the low carb group! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Hey thanks! I'm heading over to that low carb group now. I'm a newbie so some help would be awesome.
    Never heard of the fat bombs but I just looked them up. Interesting! It's such a weird concept compared to what I have been used to but I'm ready to try it! :D Thanks for the tips!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No point in adding recreational calories if fat loss is the goal. Voluntarily reduced intake is a feature and benefit of low carbing. Make sure you're eating enough veg & stuff to cover the nutrition.

Edit to add - try to keep the protein around 50 - 75 grams, you're light on many days.

Your diary is nothing like low carb, slightly reduced perhaps. Low carb doesn't really embrace potato, pasta, banana, etc etc
  • weathersrabbits
    weathersrabbits Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hmmm, I am pretty new! I guess I have a lot more to learn. I was a vegetarian for a long time so I have to learn a whole new lifestyle. When I first started I was eating 400+ carbs a day easily.

Sometimes it's hard to wrap my brain around what I should be eating now. I fail a lot. Oh well! Get back up and keep learning. I'll focus on the protein a little more on each meal. That might help the fall back to higher carb foods.

(t's not an excuse but I am staying with my vegan mother right now. I'm in Chicago and I've renamed this place carb city.)