I just can't do 1200 calories

Options
I just can't live on 1200 cals a day. I've tried and 1500 is the minimum I can reasonably do.

Considering I was a big over eater I'm actually doing better than ever.

But I'm not really losing either.

Exercise is the obvious solution. I work 12 hour days and I live 40 minutes from work. I also have small children I need to have time for. And rest. It's winter here and very cold outside. I live way too far into the country to go to a gym. I struggle to get enough sleep. How can I fix this life?

Any suggestions please my MFP friends?

Sincerely
Cristina

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I just can't live on 1200 cals a day. I've tried and 1500 is the minimum I can reasonably do.

Exercise is the obvious solution. I work 12 hour days and I live 40 minutes from work. I also have small children I need to have time for. And rest. It's winter here and very cold outside. I live way too far into the country to go to a gym. I struggle to get enough sleep. How can I fix this life?

Sincerely
    Cristina

How long have you been trying to lose? If it is just days, then be patient. If it is weeks, then you need to decide if you can change your lifestyle (both calories eaten and activity level, from what you describe) or accept weight loss is not happening.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I suggest increasing the number of calories you are eating and expect change to come slower but it will FEEL faster and be more sustainable. You will feel less tired if you are fueling your body better. I suggest making sure you are eating enough protein and fats. I suggest exercising on your lunchbreak. I suggest making exercise FUN. Perhaps rest on your trip to work if you take public transport.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Of course you can fix this!!! Fill your plate with low calorie food (eg vegetables) to stop eating the higher calories - make low calorie soups and drink these as a 'starter' so you won't be as hungry when you sit down to eat. Make sure you're drinking enough fluids. Plan your meals so you're prepared. Bring your children (in their buggy, for additional exercise for you) for a walk in the evenings/mornings, the fresh air will be good for them too and will help you all sleep better - get your partner to help out so you have 1/2 hour to yourself 3 times a week and do the c25 - or do it on your lunchbreak. The Wii also has some great fitness programmes, or just buy a dvd and do it, get a bike, even a stationary one if you don't want to leave the house, I exercise on mine whilst I watch tv programmes on my kindle. The options are endless, but you need to realize that YOU are the only one that can change your life.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your diet is only going to work if you cna sustain it plus you work out how to be at deficit. An overly aggressive diet will often result in failure or binging.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I can't do it either. I eat closer to 1500 a day but I exercise and eat the calories back. On the days I don't exercise I go over my calorie goal. Those days are rare so I'm losing just fine- 11 pounds since mid April. It's slow, but I don't have much to lose.

Fitness Blender has great free videos on You tube you could use at home for exercise. Good luck to you!
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can never do 1200 calories, either. The fatigue and misery are just not worth it.

I don't know what you do, but if you get a lunch break of any useful length, can you look into exercising then? Maybe there's a gym near your work you can hit up?

Otherwise, I would look into bodyweight exercises you can do at home. They might not burn very many calories, but you'd be surprised how much muscle you can build without weights, especially as a beginner.

Also, I know "get more sleep" is easier said than done, but it can really make a difference. I would really try to carve out the time for it.
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cristina - I recommend that you work in some type of exercise that involves your kids, even just dancing around the house. You don't say how old they are, but depending upon the age, they would probably enjoy anything that you do to include them. If they have favorite kid videos with music, incorporate that. Look for an exercise video for moms and kids and try that. Start with three times a week, maybe on your days off. Every little bit helps and if you find something your kids enjoy, they will be your accountability partners.
  • Dotty15dog
    Dotty15dog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try LCHF diet
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I have kids and work out at home...mainly because I'm a hermit. ;) I use the SWORKIT app and right now I'm doing the 30-day shred. I work from home, so I didn't have to get anyone's permission for a treadmill desk but I use it 2-6 hours a day.
  • raniismyname
    raniismyname Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 shows up on myfitnesspal if you are around 150cm or 4'11 to 5'2ish and you want to lose 2 pounds or 1kg a week. It's not for everybody! It works for me because my BMR is about 1100 cals so that means 1200 is more than I need. I suggest working out your BMR and work out how much food you actually need to live. Then think about non exercise physical activity you are actually doing and how to increase that. Also as commenters above try high volume foods this makes a huge difference BUT most importantly changing habits for a lifetime takes simple small changes everyday. It's easy to say 1200 cals no worries however if you were like me and 40kgs or 90pounds overweight going from eating 6 large meals a day to 1200 is near impossible. I had to keep my diet the same and slowly reduce the calories each day or each week, then slowly incorporate high volume fibrous foods which filled me up for less calories. It's slow but even if it takes 6 months, the rest of your life will thank you for the 6 month slow change vs on and off for years causing more frustration.
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone can survive on 1200 calories and actually be productive in life unless they are super duper short and skinny.
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    From experience I would say don't go cold turkey on the eating. Meaning don't try to go straight from what you were eating to 1200. Maybe make it a more gradual process. Depending on what you do for your job maybe you can work in some exercise there by taking short walks, I sometimes go to the gym on my lunch breaks. Another option might be to buy some workout DVD's you can do at home. Get some that are 20-30mins and do them after the kids are in bed. Since it sounds like working out isn't always going to be easy for you focus on making healthy choices with food.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    It shows up if you've below 150lbs a 5'6" and sit on you`re butt all day want to lose a pound a week, too. :p

Speaking of, I need to drag myself onto the treadmill desk soon, or else I won't get any calories today.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Sincerely
    Cristina

Change your weekly weight loss goals to a lower goal.

do you use a food scale for solids? logging everything accurately? I suspect no.

At 1500 calories depending on height etc you could be losing...I lose on 1800 gross a day...and I am your age and 5 ft 7 and weigh less.

AS for exercise...my husband works 12 hour days, drives longer and still finds time to workout.

You have internet...find fitnessblender.com.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Sincerely
    Cristina

I started at 179 lbs, 5'4", sedentary with a goal of losing 1 lb a week and was given 1330 calories to start with. I did about 30 minutes of exercise. I ate back about half my exercise calories. At 155.5 lbs, I am down to 1270 calories for my goal. I probably won't go lower for quite some time- if ever. I accept that it will take probably another year to get to my goal weight.
    I drink water or unsweetened tea so my calories are for food.

If you have set your goal to lose 2 lbs a week maybe change it to 1 lb a week. Maybe your activity level is really more active than what you have it set to and you wouldn't have to be at 1200 to lose weight.

How long has it been since you've lost any weight eating at 1500? If it has been less than 3 weeks then I would just be patient. If you are losing a bit then you can accept that your progress will be slower, reduce your calorie intake a bit more or exercise a bit more.
    Are you weighing/measuring food and drinks and entering everything you consume accurately? If you aren't then you should check that.
    Are you getting enough protein, fats and fiber when you eat lower calories? Those types of foods will help you feel full.
    Drink more water.

I do walking, exercise dvd's, and workout videos from you tube. Usually only 30 minutes 6 days a week. You can do short workouts or get some exercise with your kids.

I would choose getting enough sleep and reducing calories slightly over more exercise if you are sleep deprived.
  • Megleigh79
    Megleigh79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! It's just so great that you're even doing what you're doing! 1200 calories can be simply too little for many to maintain. Healthy eating and exercise have to become a way of life- not just a temporary plan to lose some weight and then return to old habits.

Any type of walking is helpful. So maybe have your phone set to count steps with the MFP app. You can do steps around the house, with the kids- maybe do family time at the gym?, and at work (make sure to get up frequently during the day- this is very important both physically and mentally).

Hope this helps! I will start following you if that's ok? I'm always looking to connect with others to help with motivation.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It's all about sustainability. Real fat loss happens over a span of time, so chosing a level you can live with is key. Personally, I think 1500 calories is fine - but make sure you're actually eating 1500 and not going over.

If you feel that 1200 should be your goal, I would look up quick, but effective workouts that you can squeeze in when you have a little bit of time. There are some 7-minute workouts out there that will bust your butt during that short span of time. You could try squeezing in a round or two before and after work or on your coffee break.

Also, if you're eating at 1200, make sure you're eating foods that will keep you full. I tried to go on 1200 using those Special K cereal bars - big mistake. They taste great and they fit the goal, but they are completely empty when it comes to hunger-killing substance. A banana works better for me as a snack for when I'm really hungry - or a couple of low-fat cheese sticks.

For meals, include a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat. For me on most nights, that means 100-150 grams of rice (depending on my calorie allotment), 100g of chicken, and a good helping of green beans very lightly seasoned in oil or butter and salt.

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Been there, done that with 1200 calories. It DOES suck. I modified my goals so I could have 1370 calories a day and what a difference even that makes. At 5'2", you probably are going to have to gradually reduce your food intake so that your goal weight is maintainable. But right now at a higher weight, you don't have to starve yourself to see weight loss. That's the good news. But to see results quicker, you've got to balance the lower intake with higher activity. You can always lose weight with diet restriction alone, but it's slower to see the losses and harder to maintain IMHO.

I have walked in your shoes. My babies are now 22, 26, and 27 but I remember being 40 and exhausted, working a sedentary job at home for at least 10 hours a day in front of a computer, and doing for everyone but myself. I survived on 5-6 hours sleep every day but the weekends. I lived in the country and a gym was 30 minutes away. I thought there was no solution so I just gave in and accepted that this was how life in my 40s was going to be and I had no control over the circumstances.

Now looking back, I see where I could have done so much better and here's what I'd do differently:

1. Every day, give yourself at least 1 hour of personal time. Cardio, weights, walking, meditation, food prep, etc. This is not negotiable. You deserve and must make this time for yourself. Even if it's 5:30 a.m. or 10:30 p.m. Or converting your work hour at lunch to a light 15 minute meal and 30 minutes of walking time.

2. If you are buying processed foods to save time in the kitchen, realize that you are paying the price when it comes to your family's health and calories. I'm not saying to be a "clean" eater (whatever that is ;) but avoiding high-sodium foods with empty calories is a huge help to your mission. Gradually introduce healthier whole foods into your family's diet and they will benefit too.

3. Buy a food scale and weigh everything in grams. This is the ONLY way you will know the exact caloric value of your daily intake. This is your greatest tool next to personal motivation.

4. Log everything you eat. Everything...every day. This is your road map for success.

5. Find foods that work for your new lifestyle and keep them on hand. I always thought protein bars at $1.00 or more a piece were a luxury buy but now I see the role they play in keeping my weight off, maintaining satiety, and refueling the body after workouts. I now use Zone Perfect, Luna Bars and Robert Irvine Fit Crunch to fill those needs. I love crunchy red, orange and yellow peppers so I keep them chopped and ready to go for meals and snacks. Protein shakes made from scratch with my blender are a regular item in my diet, too. I hardly every buy bread but when I do, I purchase higher quality loaves such as Trader Joe's sprouted 7-grain bread. Two small slices are only 120 calories with 10g protein and 12% fiber. Best of all, it really fills you up vs. the white Wonder bread that I grew up on.

6. Invest in good walking or running shoes. I would buy cheap ones years ago thinking they looked and felt fine, so for $25 they should do the job. Wait for a sale on the better ones and then try them on with the help of a fitter who can find the right shoe for your needs. What a difference good support and cushioning make. You'll actually want to wear them and get moving.

7. Carry a beautiful, clear BPA-free water bottle or container with you everywhere. Water is your best friend. I'm all about aesthetics so having my Contigo tumbler with me in the car, on my desk or at the dinner table is a constant reminder to keep hydrated and it makes the water look more appealing ;)

8. Make your family part of your activities on the weekends. Walking, hiking, riding bikes, playing at the school playground or park. Just go do things together and everyone benefits.

9. You can get exercise anywhere. Park further out at the grocery story parking lot. In the winter, I use large department stores for places to get extra steps in. And no 2.0 mph stroll. Move it or else you'll be buying everything in sight. I even walk in my apartment when the weather is bad. I did 3 miles a few days ago, so no excuses for not being able to walk living out in the country. Grab some dumbbells while you're walking and you can do some simple exercises with them, too, as you walk. Your bedroom or living room can become your space for stretching and strength-building floor exercises. Yoga takes very little space, too.

10. If you can afford it (or ask for it as a birthday, anniversary or Christmas gift) buy an activity tracker. I have a $47 Jawbone Up from Costco and it helps me from being too sedentary. A wonderful motivation tool.

11. Lastly, my favorite tip: no more sitting when you talk on the phone. If you walk throughout your house when you talk, you'll burn so many calories you never did before. And no strolling here, either. Make sure you're moving at a reasonable clip--so much so that you might feel slightly out of breath when you talk. I had a heavy day on the phone a few weeks ago with my clients (and a friend) and I walked 4.7 miles.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't eat during my lunch hour. I take an hour long walk/run or I hit my office gym. I'll eat my actual lunch throughout the day when I find time.