Very good article!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Great article.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The derp in the comments balances it out nicely, though.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I never read the comments on articles like that anymore. It makes me weep for humanity, and I'd rather go through life blissfully unaware of how stupid my peers really are.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I never read the comments on articles like that anymore. It makes me weep for humanity, and I'd rather go through life blissfully unaware of how stupid my peers really are.
    If you really want to weep for humanity, read an article on something with which you are very knowledgeable. Notice how completely blundering, ham-fisted, and wrong the article is. Then, ask yourself why articles on subjects with which you are less familiar should be any less incompetent.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

If you really want to weep for humanity, read an article on something with which you are very knowledgeable. Notice how completely blundering, ham-fisted, and wrong the article is. Then, ask yourself why articles on subjects with which you are less familiar should be any less incompetent.

Or an MFP Hello Healthy blog post? :lol:
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So true.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I admit...I read online article comments for the lulz

I might possibly be addicted.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Wow, he sums up a lot of thoughts I have about exercise and weight loss very nicely. It's true; The Biggest Loser would be deadly boring if it were just about food. Frankly, there's little I like about The Biggest Loser. It makes the whole weight loss enterprise look so, so, full of drama. It's not drama; it's persistence.

How many threads get started here every day where a newbie dieter signs on at a fitness club, and then asks which exercises work best for weight loss? LOL. I gained weight the weeks I increased my exercise. Temporarily. My gains were in health.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Today's is a doozy.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It's true; The Biggest Loser would be deadly boring if it were just about food. Frankly, there's little I like about The Biggest Loser. It makes the whole weight loss enterprise look so, so, full of drama. It's not drama; it's persistence.

The misperceptions caused by the travesty that was (is?) The Biggest Loser really deserve their own thread. Seriously screwed up my thoughts about weight loss. There's an article on cracked.com written by a former contestant. Nothing you see on screen is the truth - nothing. Even the "weekly" in the weekly weigh-ins was false. (Sorry I can't link it directly, but MFP is one of the few sites not blocked by my firewall at work and Cracked is not. I'm sure it would pop up in a google search for "Biggest Loser" + "Cracked.com")

It's unfortunate too because I used to love Julian Michaels' workout videos. Now I feel like I can't trust anything that comes out of her mouth.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    saving to share on FB later...sick of watching derp on my news feed too.
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate too because I used to love Julian Michaels' workout videos. Now I feel like I can't trust anything that comes out of her mouth.

Yeah, in one of her videos, she is telling a woman not to get surgery to enlarge her breasts, that exercise would take care of it. Yet, she had breast surgery. She's such a hypocrite - and she always looks like she got a sneer on her face. I can't stand to look at her.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Today's is a doozy.

SMH more derp on my FB wall..jeez :s
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Even though he points out that exercise seems to do little good for obesity, some of the articles he references point out that exercise cures pretty much all other diseases under then sun. People get so caught up on what it takes to lose weight they they lose sight of what it takes to be healthy.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am putting this out here for those that think they have to exercise a kazillion(sp) in order to lose weight.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/09/04/lose-weight-in-your-kitchen-not-your-gym

Looking at real-world studies of exercise and its impact on weight, the results are underwhelming to say the least. Take this 2007 study published in the journal Obesity. Researchers instructed 196 men and women to exercise an hour a day, six days a week, for a year! And researchers weren't just telling people to exercise, they were supervising them and instructing them as well.

Compliance was incredible – only seven study dropouts – and over the course of the year, men averaged 6.16 hours of weekly exercise, and women, 4.9 hours. So did the 320 hours of exercise for the men and the 254 hours for the women lead to weight loss? Yes, but probably less than you might have guessed. Men lost, on average, 3.5 pounds, and women, 2.6. That translates to 91.5 hours of exercise per pound lost.

***Just wanted to note at the end of the article they stated the following...

"But don't forget, if it's health you're after, you need to do both."
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Even though he points out that exercise seems to do little good for obesity, some of the articles he references point out that exercise cures pretty much all other diseases under then sun. People get so caught up on what it takes to lose weight they they lose sight of what it takes to be healthy.

actually most people aren't losing weight to be healthy...that usually comes later...

Take me for example.

I wanted to lose weight to look better at first...then I realized my cholesterol would go down...then I realized I felt better and started exercising...then I realized if I wanted to exercise the way I wanted I needed to quit smoking...I did that...

so it evolved into a health issue...but started as vanity.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

actually most people aren't losing weight to be healthy...that usually comes later...

Take me for example.

I wanted to lose weight to look better at first...then I realized my cholesterol would go down...then I realized I felt better and started exercising...then I realized if I wanted to exercise the way I wanted I needed to quit smoking...I did that...

so it evolved into a health issue...but started as vanity.

I suspect you are right, which is why so many people complain about being told they should exercise. But even if all a person is concerned about it vanity, once a person has reached their goal weight, exercise has a significant impact on the ability to keep the weight off. Apparently, even though exercise causes you to want to replace the calories you burned, it doesn't make you want to eat more than the calories you burned.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have always been a little concerned with the "exercise so I can eat more" mentality. I tried it for a while when I first came to MFP. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I my focus on exercise had changed from "exercise for health" to "exercise so I could eat more". I no longer track my exercise. I just raised my calorie level about 100 calories to cover it so that I would stop associating the two things as one.