When does surplus-eating turn to fat?

Options

Replies

• amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I do not get why OP would want this, but to each their own

That being said, I legit gain 100% fat this weekend.

Because I pass out, my heart rate is dangerously low, my blood pressure is low, I'm freezing all the time, and I'm scared I've made myself infertile since it's been almost 2 years since I've had my period and much more. And my doctors' best theory right now is that it's due to too low body fat. So that's why gaining bodyfat is my goal. Yes, there are actually reasons why someone would want to gain fat, it's not that odd of a goal.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Also to remember is that we have the same amount of fat cells at 100lb as we do 200lb. They just enlarge. (I'm 85% confident about that remembering from school years.) So its not like the body needs to BUILD fat it just contributes to it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    After a week and a half I think most of it is in your head, especially if you went from a massive deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - do you have an eating disorder...? If yes, then you really need to discuss this stuff with your dr and/or treatment team....
  • amblight
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - do you have an eating disorder...? If yes, then you really need to discuss this stuff with your dr and/or treatment team....

No - I just got too skinny. I had been losing weight (since I was morbidly obese), and I kind of 'forgot' how to eat at maintance rather than a deficit because I had been at it for so long. So I'm working on gaining, until I get better, and then work on 'learning' to maintain.
  • besee_2000
    Options
    OP I give you mad props for pursuing a healthier lifestyle. A woman's body needs "flab" to keep us thriving. Best of luck to your goals. Don't be discouraged by the mirror or how your clothes fit.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Also to remember is that we have the same amount of fat cells at 100lb as we do 200lb. They just enlarge. (I'm 85% confident about that remembering from school years.) So its not like the body needs to BUILD fat it just contributes to it.

No, that was taught for a long time as a hypothesis, but it has been confirmed, your fat cells do die off and get replaced, so that every ten years there are probably no originals left.
  • amblight
    Options

That's true, I guess that makes more sense how it could turn to fat quickly, since it's just 'filling' the cells, rahter than actually having to build anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    amblight wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're NOT resistance training at all, and are in surplus, undoubtedly the majority of gain will be extra fat. Building muscle takes progressive overload resistance and you usually attain that lifting weights with high volume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I never said I wanted to gain muscle. The 'options' I considered was if it was fat storage, or period-bloating. I would view both of those options as positive for my health.
    I was responding to you NOT building muscle. If you don't want to build muscle and just gain fat, then DON'T do resistance training in a surplus. I promise you, you won't build muscle doing it that way. Unless of course you gain like 50lbs or something.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• senecarr
    Options

No - I just got too skinny. I had been losing weight (since I was morbidly obese), and I kind of 'forgot' how to eat at maintance rather than a deficit because I had been at it for so long. So I'm working on gaining, until I get better, and then work on 'learning' to maintain.
    Not to push the subject as it is your own private business, but it might help to know your height and weights at various points (particularly the lowest point you got to, and what you're at now). Like if you're 5'10" and still sitting at just over a 100, I wouldn't expect your hormones to be in fixed today or tomorrow.
  • amblight
    Options
    OP I give you mad props for pursuing a healthier lifestyle. A woman's body needs "flab" to keep us thriving. Best of luck to your goals. Don't be discouraged by the mirror or how your clothes fit.

Thanks :) I'm hoping to lose the 'scrawny' look of my upper chest, back and arms soon, right now all the extra flab seems to have gone to my belly and boobs, lol :b As for clothes, I still have all the clothes from my weight loss, so I'll actually be able to fit more of it when I gain a bit!
  • besee_2000
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

No, that was taught for a long time as a hypothesis, but it has been confirmed, your fat cells do die off and get replaced, so that every ten years there are probably no originals left.

Ok, that is true but the point is that we don't build fat cells from eating in surplus. Replenishing cells sure but if our bodies were trying to conserve energy it wouldn't expend energy on building if it didn't have to.
  • amblight
    Options

Not to push the subject as it is your own private business, but it might help to know your height and weights at various points (particularly the lowest point you got to, and what you're at now). Like if you're 5'10" and still sitting at just over a 100, I wouldn't expect your hormones to be in fixed today or tomorrow.

I'm 5'9", and my lowest was just 2½ weeks ago at 116lbs. Not an extremely low BMI, but the speed of which I lost weight might have affected it too - 2 years ago I was at 265lbs.
  • senecarr
    Options

Ok, that is true but the point is that we don't build fat cells from eating in surplus. Replenishing cells sure but if our bodies were trying to conserve energy it wouldn't expend energy on building if it didn't have to.

Your body will build new fat cells, so it is probable that the absolute number of them do change.
    But yes, most fat increases just lead to existing fat cells holding more fat molecules.
  • senecarr
    Options

I'm 5'9", and my lowest was just 2½ weeks ago at 116lbs. Not an extremely low BMI, but the speed of which I lost weight might have affected it too - 2 years ago I was at 265lbs.
    I calculate a BMI of 17.1 from that, which is still in the underweight category. You'd need to be about 125 to clear into normal according to the NIH. I know it isn't the answer you'd like, but you might just have to keep gaining some weight, and unfortunately, you can't have all of it go to the spots you want, it is going to go where it wants.
  • amblight
    Options

I calculate a BMI of 17.1 from that, which is still in the underweight category. You'd need to be about 125 to clear into normal according to the NIH. I know it isn't the answer you'd like, but you might just have to keep gaining some weight, and unfortunately, you can't have all of it go to the spots you want, it is going to go where it wants.

I'm fine with continuing to gain, continuing to eat at surplus, and I'm not concerned about where it'll go, I liked the fat-distrubution I had when I was heavier, so I'm sure it'll go towards that. I was just wondering if I might be so lucky that the 'flabbyness' I felt now, could already be my period, or already be fat-storing (both options would be good, as both would indicate improvement of my health). Or if it's just bloating from salt/carbs/etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm fine with continuing to gain, continuing to eat at surplus, and I'm not concerned about where it'll go, I liked the fat-distrubution I had when I was heavier, so I'm sure it'll go towards that. I was just wondering if I might be so lucky that the 'flabbyness' I felt now, could already be my period, or already be fat-storing (both options would be good, as both would indicate improvement of my health). Or if it's just bloating from salt/carbs/etc.

How much scale weight have you gained in the last week and a half?
  • senecarr
    Options

Well keep at it and hopefully it will come back sooner rather than later. My other thought is loo into how you can reduce stress (including not being too over eager about it coming back quickly). Stress is always sending a body signal that turns off all long term planning, which periods / ovulation / having kids are all you're bodies most long term planning.
  • amblight
    Options

How much scale weight have you gained in the last week and a half?

I haven't weighed myself "accurately" - I weighed myself yesterday afternoon, not undressed and hadn't recently been to bathroom, and it was 11lbs higher than before the 1½ weeks (with early morning, post-bathroom, naked weigh-in)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

So you've been eating at a surplus for 2 1/2 weeks, is that right? You're probably seeing a lot of water retention/bloating and just the extra weight/mass of food in your system. The one other thing that you really want to be aware of is your perception. Eating at a surplus, especially when you went to a lot of trouble to lose weight, can really screw with your head. Even if you know that gaining some weight back is a good thing, even if you agree 100% with your doctor's recommendation -- it's a tough mental place to be. If you're aware that you're eating at a surplus, and if there's even a small part of your brain that is scared about that, it's very easy to perceive your body getting bigger than it actually is in reality. We recommend that people track progress using a tape measure when they're losing, but I think it's also incredibly important when you're gaining. As long as you're measuring accurately (as in, measuring at the same place every time), the tape measure doesn't lie. Even when you're having a fat day, and everyone who's ever gained weight on purpose has fat days, the tape measure is going to tell you the truth.