Weight loss and body odour... need some suggestions

Options
I have been a lot more active lately since taking up running. I would use the elliptical at the gym, but never really got a sweat going. Well, running gets me nice and sweaty and I love it. There is one problem though... I stink.

I never used to have such an odour problem with my armpits, but now, I do. I have tried quite a few deodorants and antiperspirants... but I still stink. Has anyone come across this while losing weight? What did you do?

Thank you :)

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Only time I had BO problems was when I had too much protein and I smelled like urine. Have you made drastic changes to what sorts of foods you eat?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Body odour isn't actually caused by fresh sweat. It's bacteria that cause the stench. All I can recommend is frequent showers and a decent deodorant :)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Synthetic fabrics harbor odor-causing bacteria. Polyester may be the worst for this, and yet, this is a popular material used in fitness clothing. :/

Shower more, get a good antiperspirant, wear natural, breathable fibers or blended fabrics with a low synthetic percentage.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the clinical strength antiperspirant deodorants?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Vinegar--try throwing a cup of white vinegar in with your wash.

I use a vinegar rinse on my hair, but I've never tried in on underarms...not sure if it would make a difference or not, but it would not hurt to try.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My wicking fabrics, which are great for keeping me cool and dry without chafing, do get wet. Dark, warm, wet places are thriving environments for smelly bacteria. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Not something that I've noticed changing but I'm sure I stink after a run if I don't shower. After a shower, though, there's definitely no stink.
  • SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I have tried secret... and the smell combined with my BO was that of cat urine. I shower every day and eat well, but ever since I started working out, my armpits are horrible.
  • shivasgirl
    shivasgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    use antibacterial soap like Dial on your pits and use a clinical strength deodorant. You can also wipe down your pits with vodka or rubbing alcohol
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bacterial or fungal infection? Maybe speak to a pharmacist or gp to rule that out
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    SmaugHugs wrote: »

I have tried secret... and the smell combined with my BO was that of cat urine. I shower every day and eat well, but ever since I started working out, my armpits are horrible.

What about washing clothes, especially workout clothes? Sheets? Towels?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

If you're smelling like ammonia, then as @zyxst suggested, it may be due to your protein intake. Ammonia or cat urine smell is a common complaint on the forums.

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ammonia/urine smell is burning protein. It doesn't seem to mean anything except that you've gone through glucose stores. I get it if I train intensively for an hour or so. I don't think there's really anything you can do about it, but I suspect it subsides some as you become more conditioned. There's nothing harmful about it but having encountered it myself I understand it can be bothersome. Perhaps get some antibacterial wipes and do a quick swipe and freshen with more antiperspirant a few times a day?
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    Body odour isn't actually caused by fresh sweat. It's bacteria that cause the stench. All I can recommend is frequent showers and a decent deodorant :)

I shower every day before bed. I am having a heck of a time finding an antiperspirant that works...
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Try showering at the beginning of the day...see if that helps. I know I find I smell better if my shower happens in the morning than the night before.
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    Ammonia/urine smell is burning protein. It doesn't seem to mean anything except that you've gone through glucose stores. I get it if I train intensively for an hour or so. I don't think there's really anything you can do about it, but I suspect it subsides some as you become more conditioned. There's nothing harmful about it but having encountered it myself I understand it can be bothersome. Perhaps get some antibacterial wipes and do a quick swipe and freshen with more antiperspirant a few times a day?

The antibacterial wipes is a great idea. I've been keeping some baby powder in my purse as well to help with excess moisture. I guess my body is just shifting on a few levels and burning off all the stuff stored in my fat and it is making me smelly.
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

What about washing clothes, especially workout clothes? Sheets? Towels?

I use a new towel after every shower, same with face clothes. Sheets once a week. I have a couple pairs of work out clothes and use a new set every 2 days.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Look at your diet?
    Pork makes me stink like crazy. Only one of the reasons I stopped eating it, but it was so bad that working out around people was ...undesirable for them. Also got better smelling when I gave up dairy and eggs but I gave them up because it was discovered that I am slightly allergic to them. Food intolerance is usually ignored but that doesn't mean there aren't mild side effects that don't make you sick.
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Only time I had BO problems was when I had too much protein and I smelled like urine. Have you made drastic changes to what sorts of foods you eat?

I've made fairly drastic changes to my diet... but I did not know that about protein... perhaps I've been over doing it. I am going to cut back a bit and see how it goes. Thank you :)

I eat grilled or chicken, veggies, fruits, rice, granola, some eggs, beans, milk, plain tea and water. Nothing too crazy.
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    Look at your diet?
    Pork makes me stink like crazy. Only one of the reasons I stopped eating it, but it was so bad that working out around people was ...undesirable for them. Also got better smelling when I gave up dairy and eggs but I gave them up because it was discovered that I am slightly allergic to them. Food intolerance is usually ignored but that doesn't mean there aren't mild side effects that don't make you sick.

I can't stomach plain eggs anymore, so I have them maybe twice a month at this point. They give me horrible stomach cramps and gas. Maybe I am allergic to something I've been eating without realizing it...