Food staples?

Options
2»

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same stuff I kept when I wasn't trying to lose weight. My food preference shift pretty frequently regardless of weight loss goals, though.

I think people just need to spend time figuring out what their preferences are (hopefully that's not too difficult?), what their maintenance looks like in terms of intake, and what combination of foods makes adhering easiest for whatever the goal may be.

A more specific answer will require a more specific question with fewer variables.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Here are mine:

Eggs
    2% greek yogurt
    string cheese
    apples / bananas / berries
    quinoa / brown rice / whole wheat cous cous / sweet potatoes
    mixed greens and various veggies
    balsamic glaze
    tuna pouches / frozen salmon / frozen tuna steaks / veggie hot dogs / veggie, salmon and mahi mahi burgers
    teriyaki seaweed
    protein bars / protiein powder
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I always keep a lot of fresh berries in my fridge to make smoothies and purees with. I use the purees on cottage cheese, and in my green tea. I also keep my fridge stocked with Atkins protein shakes. I eat a lot of chicken and fish. I buy my fish fresh from the meat counter at my favorite grocery store. My Swai fish is bigger, fresher and less expensive than buying it frozen in a bag. Vegetables are great when roasted with some rosemary, garlic and other Italian seasonings (and olive oil). I get bored with steamed broccoli sometimes, so I roast it, or make stir fry. It is all tasty food and full of vitamins, and a change up can make your food fun and interesting. Good luck (-:
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    things i'm never without...

fridge:
    string cheese (light)
    cottage cheese or greek yogurt (2%)
    prewashed salad mix (it's expensive, but I eat a LOT more salad this way)

pantry:
    coconut oil
    olive oil
    yams/sweet potatoes
    canned fish
    canned beans
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Definitely get thyself a BIG fruit bowl for your kitchen counter, and maybe even one for work. This way they're always visible and the first thing you see when you want to snack. The rule at my house is: if you're not hungry enough to eat fruit for snack, you're not really hungry.

Also having pre-cut veggies in the fridge makes all the difference in the world. Carrot sticks would take too long to chop? No they wouldn't... Dinner would be quicker to order out? Nope, just toss precut veggies into a pan with a chicken breast and some kind of spices/sauce. This way the excuse 'I'm busy and need convince foods' is no longer a viable one.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I second frozen meats and veggies, fresh fruits and veggies, eggs and beans. LOTS of things you can make out of those basics. I also keep around some basic spices - and Italian mix if I'm making Italian food, a poultry mix for meats, cumin/chili powder/cilantro for mexican dishes, lemon pepper for fish, and some Indian spices. Helps me not get bored with the basic meats/veggies. And rice. Most of my dinners get dumped over a little rice for satiety.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    My "must-haves" include carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, yogurt and eggs (along with a variety of fruit)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My Ideal Fridge/Freezer/Pantry Staple list (I usually have at least half of this list around)

Chicken (all kinds work, breasts, tenderloins, rib meat, thighs, etc)
    Bacon
    Occasionally Beef or Veggie Burgers
    Yogurt
    Avocados
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Egg Beaters
    Cheese (2-3 types, I love cheese)
    Wheat Bread
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Lunchmeat (whatever I like that week)
    Light Mayo
    Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
    Oranges/Grapes/Bananas (depending on store sales)
    Cucumbers/Broccoli/Bell Peppers/Carrots (depending on store sales)
    Red Potatoes (They steam nicely)
    Salad Dressings
    Butter or Margarine
    No-Cal Olive Oil Cooking Spray (only for lightly coating pans)
    Coconut Oil (rarely use it, but like to have it)
    Rice
    Peanut Butter and/or Jelly
    Pasta
    Sauces
    Somewhere in my pantry is ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and wasabi as well.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well, if I go by my "frequent foods" list, it would be: boneless skinless chicken breast, 1% milk, cheddar cheese, romaine lettuce, lite sour cream, jalapeno cheddar cheese, baby spinach, whole wheat pita bread and double stuf Oreos.

To that I would add: frozen strawberries, various other frozen fruits depending on mood, good salad dressing, spices/seasonings of all kinds, tomatoes and canned tomato products (sauce, paste, etc.), ground beef, flour tortillas, onions, broccoli, cottage cheese, various beans, cilantro, and chocolate.

Other than that, the standard kitchen staples are always on hand - flour, sugar, butter, pasta, eggs, etc. These are used for various things and can be incorporated in to a weight loss plan.

For someone else, I would recommend finding the things you love that fit your calorie goals and incorporating those regularly. After you figure out your basics, look to try new things to keep from getting bored, and herbs and spices can definitely be your friend when you are cutting calories because they can taken boring and ordinary to delicious.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Nobody mentioned pickles!!

Super low calorie for a substantial quick salty crunch snack.

Fridge:
    Whole milk
    Fresh veggies
    fresh fruit
    Cheese
    Butter
    Eggs
    Coffee Mate
    Pickles
    Garlic
    Curry sauceA
    A-1
    Ketchup
    Salad dressings
    Hot sauce
    Chicken base

Freezer:
    Frozen Veggies_Mixed veg, California blend, Broccoli
    Ice cream and/or Popsicle
    Frozen chicken breast tenders (not breaded or seasoned)
    Chicken on the bone (leg quarters/Thighs, Skin on)
    Usually a few meals worth of Pork, ground beef or turkey, sausage, steak etc)

Dry goods:
    Whole wheat bread
    Cereal
    Brown Rice
    Pasta
    Pasta sauce
    Lentils
    Split peas
    Barley
    Couscous
    Beef base
    Tomato Base