Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Burning calories and loosing weight

im quite confused. Do u need to burn every calorie you eat to loose weight? For example if I eat 1800 calories a day does that mean I need to burn all 1800 to loose weight?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    No... read the stickies and they'll get you pointed in the right direction.

I'll explain it as best as I can;
    1. You have your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), this is the amount of calories your body needs to maintain its weight with exercise.
    2. You create a caloric deficit of around -20% of your TDEE. This means you are consuming less calories than your body needs, which causes the weight loss.
  • DavidApel2015
    DavidApel2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for your comments. The MFP stated I eat 1800 cal
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Thanks for your comments. The MFP stated I eat 1800 cal

Eat at that number then. When you do cardiovascular exercise and burn calories, eat those calories back so your body has enough energy.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    If you fill in your stats and goals than indeed you can eat around that 1800.

On top of that if you want you can eat 50 to 75% of your exercise calories back :)

Be sure to weigh all your food on a food scale...dont use cup/spoons or serving sizes they are way off.
    But really weigh all your solid food.
    you can eat everything you want as long as you stick around your calorie allowance MFP gives you then you will lose weight.

Good luck on your journey
    persistence, determination, patient, moderation are your best friends!

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Its important you understand the theory behind weight loss so you cna understand how it works and what you are doing.

Based on your stats MFP will work out what your maintenance is. thats is the number of calories your body uses in a day which means you will neither gain or lose.

If the number of calories you consume (after exercise is greater than that, then you will gain.
    If the number of calories is less than that you will lose because your body uses the fat to make up the difference.
    The difference between maintenance and the lower amount you decide to consume is called the deficit.

MFP asks you to select an amount you wish to try and lose every week. The number you are given will reflect the amount you said you would try and lose by eating less.

For every 250 calories pers day you will lose a theoretical 1/2lb.
    The 1800 you got will be the number that reflects the deficit you chose. Eat that level each day accurately and consistently and you will lose the weight selected each week.

Exercis is not included, the standard apporach is to eatback 50% of MFP calories and adjust.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    You burn calories just by being alive. Not all calories are burned in the gym.
  • RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    No... read the stickies and they'll get you pointed in the right direction.

I'll explain it as best as I can;
    1. You have your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), this is the amount of calories your body needs to maintain its weight with exercise.
    2. You create a caloric deficit of around -20% of your TDEE. This means you are consuming less calories than your body needs, which causes the weight loss.

By now, you'd think this would be common knowledge. There's no secret to weight loss, just stick with things like this.