Weight loss and body odour... need some suggestions

Options

Replies

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    My son went through this as he prepared to leave for basic training. He increased his water intake & switched to Degree Clinical Strength Deodorant. Problem resolved!
  • mreedks
    mreedks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Lavilin underarm deodorant. The foot version killed my nasty foot odor very effectively.

The other thing that you might want to try is to go to your doctor to see if you might be having some blood-sugar issues. Stinky sweat can be a sign of diabetes.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Is the stink just following the workout or all day? You don't need to smell fresh after a workout. Just take your shower and get ready for the rest of your day. If it's not just following a workout, well, what everyone else said :tongue:

Oh also the deodorant used earlier in the day doesn't cut it for me. I have to reapply just prior to the workout
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Two things work for me: probiotics and coconut oil. Once I started regularly taking probiotics (the good stuff that you find in the refrigerated section, not the shelves), the stink started disappearing. Also, before I work out, I apply coconut oil to my armpits. While it won't stop the sweating, it will eliminate the stink. It is a natural anti-microbial so it will combat whatever is making you stink. I also apply it to my feet before I put my socks on and even under my sports bra. (Besides, it is good for the skin).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    SmaugHugs wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Have you tried the clinical strength antiperspirant deodorants?

I have tried secret... and the smell combined with my BO was that of cat urine. I shower every day and eat well, but ever since I started working out, my armpits are horrible.

What about washing clothes, especially workout clothes? Sheets? Towels?

I use a new towel after every shower, same with face clothes. Sheets once a week. I have a couple pairs of work out clothes and use a new set every 2 days.

You definitely need to be wearing fresh clothes every time you work out. That could be the problem right there.

I find that I can usually wear pants twice, but tops? No way.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    shivasgirl wrote: »
    use antibacterial soap like Dial on your pits and use a clinical strength deodorant. You can also wipe down your pits with vodka or rubbing alcohol

Vodka?

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Completely agree with the diet part, I eat a lot of garlic, onions, and spicy food so I get some BO when running too (not on the elliptical). I HATE smelling bad so before I go to the gym or during my morning shower I use antibacterial soap (yellow Dial bar) and lightly use spray deodorant on my upper body to make sure which helps a lot. Also heard eating parsley helps with BO but I haven't tried that.

Mitchum is a good brand to try for antiperspirant. Your doctor should be able to prescribe a clinical strength antiperspirant and there are some now available over the counter. There are special laundry detergents you can use for your gym clothes, I think Tide makes one. If you can't find the laundry detergent try using some baking soda in addition to normal laundry detergent - Costco sells huge bags of it for $6.
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Two things work for me: probiotics and coconut oil.

Coconut oil? No idea! I will be trying this for sure, love how coconuts smell.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Vinegar in the rinse cycle helps for workout clothes, too. Since you shouldn't use a fabric softener on moisture wicking fabrics anyway, the vinegar helps with that, too. I then add some of the Downey Scentables in with the clothes to give it a nice, fresh smell.
  • cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK? There is a anti perspirant called Driclor. That's what's worked for me. You put it at night and wash it off in the morning, then put your normal deodorant on. Works like a charm on me.
  • SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Have you tried the clinical strength antiperspirant deodorants?

I have tried secret... and the smell combined with my BO was that of cat urine. I shower every day and eat well, but ever since I started working out, my armpits are horrible.

What about washing clothes, especially workout clothes? Sheets? Towels?

I use a new towel after every shower, same with face clothes. Sheets once a week. I have a couple pairs of work out clothes and use a new set every 2 days.

You definitely need to be wearing fresh clothes every time you work out. That could be the problem right there.

I find that I can usually wear pants twice, but tops? No way.

I had more work out tops... but they got stolen from the laundry in my apartment building. But I do have some older shirts with holes I can use.
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Two things work for me: probiotics and coconut oil. Once I started regularly taking probiotics (the good stuff that you find in the refrigerated section, not the shelves), the stink started disappearing. Also, before I work out, I apply coconut oil to my armpits. While it won't stop the sweating, it will eliminate the stink. It is a natural anti-microbial so it will combat whatever is making you stink. I also apply it to my feet before I put my socks on and even under my sports bra. (Besides, it is good for the skin).

I use coconut oil as my facial moisturizer... I am going to give it a try. Thank you :)
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    mreedks wrote: »
    You might want to try Lavilin underarm deodorant. The foot version killed my nasty foot odor very effectively.

The other thing that you might want to try is to go to your doctor to see if you might be having some blood-sugar issues. Stinky sweat can be a sign of diabetes.

I did consult my doctor for diabetes and went for a full panel of blood work to check on the state of my health. I am not at risk for diabetes according to my doctor as there is no family history on either side and I have change my diet big time.

I will give lavilin a try though, I do have stinky feet too... so thank you :)
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Only time I had BO problems was when I had too much protein and I smelled like urine. Have you made drastic changes to what sorts of foods you eat?

I've made fairly drastic changes to my diet... but I did not know that about protein... perhaps I've been over doing it. I am going to cut back a bit and see how it goes. Thank you :)

I eat grilled or chicken, veggies, fruits, rice, granola, some eggs, beans, milk, plain tea and water. Nothing too crazy.

If you have, in fact, increased your protein, that may very well be part of it. You might also try eating more carbs right before a workout, so that you have more glucose available. Luckily I only smell like cat pee right after the intense workout. At least the smell of cat pee tells you you're working hard, right?

I'm very familiar with the diabetic sweat smell as someone in a family of diabetics and pre-diabetics. It's a sickly sweet smell, not a cat pee smell.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i have it when i use more than normal...garlic and onion. The raw forms. Powders spices seem to have less effect on me.
    Onion is the worst when i work out and ate onion that day or the day before i really stink, and i have even the idea i sweat more than normal.
    So look also in what you eat,

and indeed before going to the gym ( i work out at home and i swim in the pool..lucky me) shower use a good soap and indeed deodorant.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I actually throw my tanks away after I've run in them to the point where they smell. sometimes it isn't the person who stinks but the fabric can totally hold a nasty smell if you've sweated in it alot.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes on the vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I make my own deodorant and it works far better than any store bought. Here's what I use. Http://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/. I make the first one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Vinegar--try throwing a cup of white vinegar in with your wash.

I use a vinegar rinse on my hair, but I've never tried in on underarms...not sure if it would make a difference or not, but it would not hurt to try.

Vinegar makes for a nice natural fabric softener as well. (Clothes will smell a bit vinegary when wet but this goes away once they are dry.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Only time I had BO problems was when I had too much protein and I smelled like urine. Have you made drastic changes to what sorts of foods you eat?

I've made fairly drastic changes to my diet... but I did not know that about protein... perhaps I've been over doing it. I am going to cut back a bit and see how it goes. Thank you :)

I eat grilled or chicken, veggies, fruits, rice, granola, some eggs, beans, milk, plain tea and water. Nothing too crazy.

No protein powder? I had a boyfriend who consumed a lot of protein powder and there were some ... unusual results.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

I'm very familiar with the diabetic sweat smell as someone in a family of diabetics and pre-diabetics. It's a sickly sweet smell, not a cat pee smell.

Yep, diabetic ketoacidosis is a totally different smell. It is sweet and fruity, very much like Juicy Fruit gum.