Kyphosis and exercise

Options
Does anyone else have kyphosis aka a humpback? I have one it's so frustrating cause I can't do the exercises I want without feeling pain:( I'm only 20 and bad posture has ruined me I'm so depressed

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What does your dr say? I have a close friend with a combination of kyphosis and scoliosis and she is exercising, which has improved also a lot her pain, but under the instructions of a physical therapist.
    43482326 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen one yet. I was kinda hoping it would go away if I tried to do gentle back stretches and being more mindful of my posture. It hasnt. I noticed it back in January but my friend said I had it for a while. I guess I just noticed cause it started hurting. I was thinking of seeing a chiropractor but idk if a physical therapist would be better. It's so depressing because I can't lift weights without it hurting and it's only the light 10 weights :( the only exercise I can do is yoga and running
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? That might help open things up.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Oh between a chiropractor and a physical therapist, definitely the physical therapist.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I haven't seen one yet. I was kinda hoping it would go away if I tried to do gentle back stretches and being more mindful of my posture. It hasnt. I noticed it back in January but my friend said I had it for a while. I guess I just noticed cause it started hurting. I was thinking of seeing a chiropractor but idk if a physical therapist would be better. It's so depressing because I can't lift weights without it hurting and it's only the light 10 weights :( the only exercise I can do is yoga and running

I do not think you can do anything about kyphosis without working closely with a dr and possibly a physical therapist too. Definitely not something that will go away :( If it is recent, and you are not very old, do you even know why it happened? I was under the impression that it either appears in your early teens, or in your old age, so if it happened at some other age, shouldn't you first figure out why?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Posture can usually be improved. What usually helps is laying on one's back on an exercise ball, sort of like this, but holding for 30+ seconds, and repeating it at least every hour. Doing it often is the key.

Options
    My friend said I've had for a while just never mentioned it. I only noticed in January of 2015 because it started hurting. I'm 20 btw. I'm going to see a chiropractor and physical therapist. My general practitioner told me to get tested for high cortisol and I'm going to lap corp on Thursday to do it. Hopefully I get rid of this kyphosis soon it's ruining my life
    Options
    I think it may have been caused by bad posture but idk