Menopause weight gain

Options
arb50
arb50 Posts: 1 Member
Hello I am new to Fitness pal. I am over 50 and I can't seem to lose weight. I go to a weight lifting class 1x a week, a zumba class 1x a week and to the gym 3 times a week. I do not eat red meat. I usually eat fruits and vegs with seafood or chicken and turkey. Help.

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't, please, blame it on menopause. Weight loss starts with a calorie deficit. Start with a food scale. Weigh all of your solid food, and measure all liquids. If you are not doing these things, you are consuming more calories than you think you are, and this is why you are having difficulty losing weight.
    Once you are consistently eating at a deficit I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    You need to stay in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I have the same issues as you and this does work.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It does get more difficult ( for some) once you hit menopause though, whatever the current thinking is. or the calorie deficit thinking is.....I was stable before I hit menopause and then the weight amassed...I think everyone woman has an individual response to menopause and some sail through it ( like my sis and sister in law) and some don't - like me. I have definitely changed shape and gained more lbs and despite doing what normally would work, have seen little progress. So, a lot harder work required from me and a lot more patience.....Thankfully, due to my MFP pals, I have the patience and the support to work through the slow progress.
    OP, start logging everything, be honest and take it from there for now. Get yourself a good set of friends who are inspirational and supportive in equal measure and you will be making progress.....

• GinsTheThing
    GinsTheThing Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it a slog - so slow to lose ANYTHING - and I weigh everything diligently, trust me. That's why I searched 'menopause' here. I'm with dufus in so far as
    dufus12 wrote: »
    .....I was stable before I hit menopause and then the weight amassed...I think everyone woman has an individual response to menopause

I drink less (wine was my downfall), I move more and swap out carb-heavy foods at every opportunity. It's like my metabolism has flatlined yet I feel healthy, alert & I think I 'look' brighter eyed etc.

I look over metabolism- booster info. Websites just seem to want to part you from your money !