motivation help for depression

Options
I've tried so many times to lose weight. At one point I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I was doing good but out of no where I got depressed and I gained the weight back and then some. I really want to lose the weight. I'm there anything I can do to help myself stay motivated and to not discourage myself?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, understand what you are doing and be consistent. If you take it one day at a time then weight loss can help you feel you have a bit more control over your life and you cna use it to help with depreession, but it requires youi to change your mindset. less feeling wor is me and sorry for yourself, more about believeing you cna do things. Take small steps and patiently build on them so you dont get overwhelmed and feel like you make progress. Expecting too much, pressuring yourself, being frustrated and impatient are all signs of a miserable journey and it doesnt have to be that way.

Exercise is also a great way to relieve stress and deal with depression. Before you start establish a winning mindset that will deal with things and believe you cna do it. Deal with the threat of discouragement head on so that when it starts to rear its head you know what to do and you move through it. Focus and commit if you wnat to make it from beginning to end.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • kelceystevens73
    kelceystevens73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The short answer to your question is yes! My recommendation is you set a goal for yourself and plant visual reminders in several places so that if you slide backwards you have constant reminders of why you are on the journey and they may help you get back on track more quickly. Speaking from experience depression can be a very evil thing....To help me I've build a strong support network and take things in easy managable steps. Best of luck on your journey and feel free to friend me if you would like.

-K
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Getting motivated will not alleviate depression. If you are clinically depressed, seek medical assistance. As that health issue gets under control, you will be able to concentrate on successfully creating a workable food/exercise plan and feel good about doing it.
  • gohawkeyes2426
    gohawkeyes2426 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Shantel...I am in a similar situation. I was diagnosed with depression many years ago but it wasn't until the last few years that it's taken a toll on my weight. As I get older, I get more wore out, less motivated, and realizing that although I am only 26...I cannot eat like a teenager! The problem is that with depression, we are always seeing comfort. And I have been finding this in food, and also eat a lot when I am bored at home every night. This starts that vicious cycle of gaining more weight, feeling more depressed, more fatigued, less motivated, craving more comfort foods (I have a weakness for sugary foods). Has anyone found ways to really kick yourself on the butt and get motivated? I work full-time, on a tight budget, and am in the process of moving to a new city and new job to begin graduate college so I am in need of some serious stress reduction too! Any advice?! Help!!