Weight loss and body odour... need some suggestions

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Shower after you run, always. I cannot use Dial because it dries out my skin too much, but I like Every Man Jack Eucalyptus Mint Body Wash (Whole Foods or Target) for washing after workouts. I am partial to Secret Clinical Strength deodorant--Mitchum simply doesn't work for me (I stink worse somehow) and Degree makes me break out in hives. Wear your workout gear just once before washing, and wash using the hottest temperature appropriate for the fabric--I really like the Arm & Hammer detergent for my workout gear, but Tide Sport works o.k. too. We're a family of 3 who play a lot of sports, so I wash a lot of workout gear--I don't wash a load every day, but I have a segregated basket in the basement for only workout gear (so our other clothes don't pick up the sweaty smell)--likewise I don't wash our everyday clothes with the stinky stuff. We wear a lot of tech gear/poly fabrics to workout and so I hang them to dry--if they still smell after washing them twice and hanging them to dry then I throw them away.

In my experience the smell was worse when I was going through a pretty active period of weightloss--not sure if it's the hormone adjustments or what--but now that I've slowed down it doesn't seem as bad.
  • MillahTurneur
    MillahTurneur Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Showering? It's about the only thing that will really get it. Just jump in the shower before you leave the gym. I've kinda gotten over the side effect. I spend so much time running around outside that I can't worry about it too much. The way I see it is... if it's 7:30 and I just got done running a mile... honestly... who give a care if I stink? I'm gonna shower in like 4 hours anyway.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My mother mentioned something recently....

Apparently you can get a hot washer full of soap and water, add and tiny bit of regular bleach and then wash colored items like smelly towels and gym clothes. I just tried it with some old things that I didn't mind losing. I put in more bleach than I intended to, but it seems to have worked without destroying the color.

Something to try if you are willing to take a risk.
  • SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Oh my gods... thank you!!! I don't eat very many carbs... and I eat protein before and after a run.... this was immensely helpful, thank you for finding this!
  • SmaugHugs
    Options

I'm very familiar with the diabetic sweat smell as someone in a family of diabetics and pre-diabetics. It's a sickly sweet smell, not a cat pee smell.

Yep, diabetic ketoacidosis is a totally different smell. It is sweet and fruity, very much like Juicy Fruit gum.

There is nothing sweet about my stink lol.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Eat a carb, dragon.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SmaugHugs wrote: »
    I have been a lot more active lately since taking up running. I would use the elliptical at the gym, but never really got a sweat going. Well, running gets me nice and sweaty and I love it. There is one problem though... I stink.

I never used to have such an odour problem with my armpits, but now, I do. I have tried quite a few deodorants and antiperspirants... but I still stink. Has anyone come across this while losing weight? What did you do?

Thank you :)

People stink when they sweat. Put some deoderant on before your run and you'll stink good. :D
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Ha,
    My mother mentioned something recently....

Apparently you can get a hot washer full of soap and water, add and tiny bit of regular bleach and then wash colored items like smelly towels and gym clothes. I just tried it with some old things that I didn't mind losing. I put in more bleach than I intended to, but it seems to have worked without destroying the color.

Something to try if you are willing to take a risk.

Like how tiny a bit of bleach? Have you ruined clothes this way?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're not pregnant are you? Sense of smell changes drastically in first trimester
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    Yes on the vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I make my own deodorant and it works far better than any store bought. Here's what I use. Http://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/. I make the first one.

Thanks @brendak76 for posting the link for the natural deodorant recipe. I stopped using the regular types of anti-perspirants several years ago due to possible health risks associated with aluminum. However, they are pretty expensive ($14 for Soapwalla on Amazon), so having a recipe is helpful.

OP, I've found the natural deodorants actually work as well or better than the regular old Secret, Mitchum, Suave, etc. I switch back and forth between Soapwalla and Schmidt's Lavender-Sage. They come in a little jar and you have to apply with your fingers, but you get used to it. I find going back and forth between the two works best. I also use Lavilin for a quick in-between hurry deodorant hit because it comes in a stick form and smells nice. However, it isn't strong enough to last all day for me. I've heard wiping your armpits with apple cider vinegar can really cut down on strong BO. Also, try keeping fresh wipes in your purse or gym bag so you can wipe off after a workout if you can't shower right away.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP, if the clinical strength deodorants aren't cutting it, I would suggest trying Certain Dri antiperspirant. (You can get it on amazon, some online drugstores, and some regular drugstores). It's not very expensive, and you only need to put it on every few days, especially once you get it under control.

I used it in combination with my regular deodorant, with the Certain Dri applied at night, regular in the morning.
  • jrosario1994
    jrosario1994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Could try shaving your armpits hair or trimming. I started trimming them a month ago ago and it helped by not giving the bacteria a place to hide and easier to wash/clean the bacteria from that area.
  • MissPauling
    MissPauling Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I usually wash the armpit area of my workout shirts after every workout, sometimes with vinegar, sometimes with antibacterial soap. I don't have enough shirts and clothes in general to wash them in the machine every time, but handwashing seems to do for 2-3 sessions. I also make sure to wash them on 60 degrees, until now it helped.
    Usually I don't want to shower before a workout (I workout at home anyway, otherwise I maybe would), but I at least wash my armpits and sometimes apply apple cider vinegar, because I don't enjoy smelling my armpits during exercise :D The coconut oil is a nice idea to try though. Baking soda (bicarb) is also supposed to help with the smell.

I always thought about trying antiperspirants but the idea of clogging my pores with aluminium creeps me out. I used to use deodorants with a bit of aluminium and it ruined my shirts as well. Since I don't use aluminium anymore I never had the typical stains on shirts in the armpits again.

I just read though that the use of an antiperspirant can shrink the sweat glands in general which would be a nice thing, wonder if anyone here has experience with this?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    1.) Shower as soon as you finish working out and change workout clothes every day. (When I just lift, no clothes change because I don't sweat that much, but cardio? That builds a STANK for sure.)

2.) Shave your armpits daily. A lot of the smell comes from bacteria growing on your skin and in your pores in your pits. Shaving there daily scrapes off dead skin and bacteria--there's less bacteria and also way less to feed.

3.) Use a basic deodorant before you run.

4.) Wear cotton-faced sports bras and cotton undies. Other fabrics can cause odor and sweating issues--and even, down below, INFECTIONS due to not wicking enough!!!! If you're wearing a pad, change it right before and right after exercise.

Together, you should be not stinky at all when you're not exercising and not very stinky when you are. :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Body odour isn't actually caused by fresh sweat. It's bacteria that cause the stench. All I can recommend is frequent showers and a decent deodorant :)

I shower every day before bed. I am having a heck of a time finding an antiperspirant that works...

WEEEEEELL, that's it right there.

You're going to have to shower after a workout. Really. You will.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain! I apologise if this advice has already been given, but I swear by Bonedri antiperspirant. Its supposed to reduce sweating, but it doesn't do that for me. It is however the best ever at preventing whiffy smells. I also use clean workout gear each time, and stick a bit of Napisan in the wash with sports kit. Its a disinfectant/deodoriser for fabric nappies - works a treat on clothes.
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    Body odour isn't actually caused by fresh sweat. It's bacteria that cause the stench. All I can recommend is frequent showers and a decent deodorant :)

I shower every day before bed. I am having a heck of a time finding an antiperspirant that works...

WEEEEEELL, that's it right there.

You're going to have to shower after a workout. Really. You will.

I do shower right after my workout, which is pretty much a half hour before bed...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    so when exactly are you stinking? Is it during your workout?
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    Eat a carb, dragon.

That's what I'm going to be doing thanks to your link. I am going to try a couple suggested products as well. I mean, I have the personal hygiene down, that's what had me confused, I'm not dirty.

That article you linked was super helpful. :-)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    brendak76 wrote: »
    Yes on the vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I make my own deodorant and it works far better than any store bought. Here's what I use. Http://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/. I make the first one.

Thanks @brendak76 for posting the link for the natural deodorant recipe. I stopped using the regular types of anti-perspirants several years ago due to possible health risks associated with aluminum. However, they are pretty expensive ($14 for Soapwalla on Amazon), so having a recipe is helpful.

OP, I've found the natural deodorants actually work as well or better than the regular old Secret, Mitchum, Suave, etc.

I've found that natural deodorants work about as well as using nothing at all. If you're a heavy sweater you might have the same experience I did.